Going light on a budget with chinese frame

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bkuruvila

by bkuruvila

You should be able to pick up the Tune Cappy (Black) from Fairwheel. I ordered last Thursday and received it on Saturday. The weight reduction was really helpful to my build from 142g (stock Neo Hyper ISP Clam) to 74g (Tune Cappy). BTW your bike looks great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

range
Shop Owner

by range

Interesting project. My WW build is currently based upon a sample frame that I received a few months ago.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Were you tempted to put a custom paint job on this one??

The blank canvass is almost begging to be done with something crazy :D

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

with your experience of the frame do you think a 6ft3.5 tall guy fit a 58 frame?
Bruce

caseycycling

by caseycycling

4crosswheels wrote:with your experience of the frame do you think a 6ft3.5 tall guy fit a 58 frame?
Bruce

Well I think it would be close, from the middle of my BB to seat its 30.75" / 78.5cm, and I cut off about an inch, so the max on a 56cm like this would probably be close to 32" max from BB to seat on the isp model.

Tinea Pedis wrote:Were you tempted to put a custom paint job on this one??

The blank canvass is almost begging to be done with something crazy :D

Not really I knew I would be on a fairly tight budget for about one more year, being back in school so I really just wanted to try out an isp frame. I like the stealth black look, but I would agree with maybe some red and/or white on it the frame would stand out more. But when I do go out on group rides here I get more ?'s about it than any other bike that comes. I know there are alot of stealth/black bikes on here but out in the wild in my little area they are rare.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

laager wrote:What does it all weigh right now?

With my reynolds tubulars on 6.79kg/14.95lb

But mainly been riding with R-sys premium and with them its 6.95kg/15.3lb

Thats on my $2 hanging digital scale but i would guess its ok on accuracy

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I have had a few people pm me about how my frame has held up so figured I would write a final review with my new parts included. After around 4000 miles there has been no problems with the frame. Its stiff and fairly light (for the price). Happy I got it, surpassed my expectations, great for someone on a budget, but it is not as stiff or near as light as the top end frames out there. I also picked up a set of Mavic R-SYS premium wheels up, I know they do not have the best reputation, but I love them. Came in at 1395g and stiffest wheels I have rode, put 1500miles +/- on them and best purchase I have made for this bike.

I finally bought a Tune seatmast which saved around 90g from the boat anchor that came with it. I am done for now making changes. I may get brakes at some point to shave another 80-100g but happy with this setup.

I plan on riding this setup one more year and I will be out of school and might pick up and addict or save up for a little while longer and go for one of the new more exotic sub-800g frames.

If anyone has any ?'s I will be glad to try and answer them. Thanks for the interest.

Buildlist:
Frame w/ isp (cut) – 1150g
Fork (cut) – 405g
Mavic R-SYS premium – 1395g
Sram Force groupset – 2100g
Zipp SL ss bars – 168g
3T stem- 127g
Merek full carbon seat – 106g
Carbon bottle cages – 46g
Tuned speedplay pedals – 133g
Headset – 106g
Topcap and bolt – 6g
C-4 skewers – 44g
Tune seatcap – 72g
Yokozuna cable kit (cut) – 280g
Reynolds blue brake pads – 18g
Michelin light tubes X 2 – 170g

Few things I did not weigh KMC X10SL chain, bar tape, hoods, sigma rox with its senors, or my new michelin pro race 3 tires
Comes in at 14.99lbs/6.8kgs

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

You trying to one-up me?! :P

I like your build sheet. Wish I had your frame.

What tires are you running? What do they weigh?
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

caseycycling

by caseycycling

StuTheWeak wrote:
What tires are you running? What do they weigh?

I just put on Michelin Pro Race 3 tires they are right around 200grams each. I have ran them before and I like the feel of them in corners, "feels" like they have a little more grip than the Continentals I took off, but I will say I put around 2000miles on the Continentals and I do not think I had a single flat.

And no not trying to one up you, I really did not realize I had dropped below the 15lb mark. Looking at your build is the only reason I even put mine back on the scale.

jordo99

by jordo99

caseycycling wrote:A few more parts have rolled in so here are the pictures. The speedplay inserts and spindles fit very good have not got to use them yet....etc

Where did you get the speedplay inserts and spindles? I've already found a place to buy the spindles but haven't seen the inserts...granted I haven't looked yet either.

nevermindthebikeshop
Shop Owner

by nevermindthebikeshop

Just wanted to thankyou for this thread am considering one of these myself and god do those infamous rsys look hot! Thinking about maybe doing a summary thread on chinese/oem frames and where to get them - so ww's can look in one place for the manufacturers hear of any good or bad reports. if i do that I'll post the link here if its allowed ! :up:
Never Mind The Bike Shops !
Bike parts @ ebay prices, Cytech qualified cycle maintenance, wheel & bike builds @ great rates when & where you want in Greater Manchester - 10am–11pm - 7 days - 07940859672 - fixmybike@nevermindthebikeshops.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

This thread will be fine.