HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm 

i had a giro atmos before. just picked this helmet up recently. it is lighter, feels way better on the road, and the BOA system to adjust fit is amazing. adjusting the atmos was annoying because you had to take off the helmet.

i havent seen anybody list them up on ebay or whatever, probably because no one wants to sell it. if its not produced, you probably have to wait a while before people decide to get rid of them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm 

Hi,
I just got my brand new prevail and it rocks..Light, comfortable,... Just one question... Did someone remove the stickers from it? How do you do withoutt damaging the helmet?
thx

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm 

ALE,

I have removed the stickers from my Prevail. I also removed the silly plastic Specialized "S" from the front vent. For the stickers, I just used my finger nails to slowly peel off the letters. No damage was done to the helmet. I did not use any chemicals or even a hair dryer to loosen the bond.

By the way, total weight savings was about 2 gm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm 

and how about the plastic S?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 pm 

God it took me an hour to remove 2! stickers with my nails (killed them by the way!) these are decals. I'll leave the black ones for some rainy day...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm 

Removing the decals can be a challenge, took a few hours. The OP was right about using finger nails, though once you remove the decals the glue is a PITA. I tried many different approaches before I got a good method, get a few large dry cotton balls, start rubbing the glue. Friction will start to warm the glue and it will come right off, you will use 20 or so cotton balls before you finish. When you got all the glue off, use 70% iso-alcohol and a cotton ball to clean it further. Great results. 207g size sm. The most comfortable helmet I have ever tried.

Attachments:
File comment: Front
Prevail Front.jpg
Prevail Front.jpg [ 154.38 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
File comment: Side
Prevail side.JPG
Prevail side.JPG [ 157.17 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
File comment: Back
Prevail back.jpg
Prevail back.jpg [ 155.62 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

DengFu FM086 - 8.3kg

CAAD9 - 6.32kg (sold)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:19 am 

I too have fallen for this helmet. In ever aspect it works better for me the my Atmos. I was a bit puzzled however as to how the straps are secured. What is the specific issue holding up the release in Australia?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:35 am 

The specific issue holding up release in Australia (and the specific reason that this helmet will most probably never be released here) is the small vent at the rear of the ear.

Australian standards utilize a side impact test that specifically impacts this vent. The impact test causes this area to deform/fail in a way that is not compliant with the standard. Given that this vent is an integral part of the helmet design, Specialized would need to basically re-tool their production of this helmet simply to meet the Australian standards testing requirement. I don't think this will happen (given the size of the Australian market and the cost to re-tool) :roll:

Pity, it's a nice helmet.

But then, the new C50 Kask is also a nice helmet and it's Australian compliant - check them out, they have a very nice pivoting fitment system, leather chin strap and fairly good ventilation. They're also not stupidly heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:56 pm 

You can check Australian race/event rules. In the US, for example, European certified helmets are valid in all events of which I am aware, yet they cannot be sold as a "helmet" in a store. So there's no need to be limited by local standards if you are confident of fit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:03 pm 

I'm fairly certain that all helmets used in Australia (be that road use, off-road use or race/event use) must be Australian Compliance certified.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 am 

That sucks, I will have to relegate my Prevail to commuter duty and Sunday rides.
Will just have to use my SWorks 2D for events and races.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 am 

khdroberts wrote:
I'm fairly certain that all helmets used in Australia (be that road use, off-road use or race/event use) must be Australian Compliance certified.

This is correct, and the sticker has to be in the helmet and visible for inspection, or no start. I've seen riders denied starts when stickers have been removed or their names written on them over the top.

Interestingly, I'm fairly sure the new Kask isn't legal here either, so I'm surprised it's being sold.

There's also the risk that if you were hurt wearing a helmet not certified here that your insurer could use that as a way to avoid all or part of any liability. Your Cycling Australia licence specifically requires the use of a certified helmet if you want to rely on their insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:05 pm 

Musket:

No, the new Kask C50 is certainly in compliance with the new AS/NZS 2063 standard (enforced from June onwards this year). Here's a photograph of the inside of this helmet including the compliance sticker:

And here's a shot of the helmet details (inc. weight and manufacturing date):

I hope that clears up any confusion about the Kask.

Personally, I would never risk road riding in a non-compliant helmet.

As you've said, you can't race with a non-compliant helmet.

Yes, it would be wonderful if there was a universally accepted standard - ISO or DIN etc for helmet safety... but that may well be years away.

Cheers and ride safe!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:14 pm 

Damn, I crashed earlier this year (about Jan/Feb) and destroyed my 2D. I was going to order a Prevail through my LBS because they said it would only be about 1 - 2 weeks, good thing I didn't wait! I really wanted a Prevail to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 pm 

djconnel wrote:
You can check Australian race/event rules. In the US, for example, European certified helmets are valid in all events of which I am aware, yet they cannot be sold as a "helmet" in a store. So there's no need to be limited by local standards if you are confident of fit.

Slowtwitch-Sebastien Keinle interview wrote:
ST: Did you have a hard time finding space in your bags for your 70.3 New Orleans trophy and all the other gear you acquired while in the USA?

Sebastian: The biggest issue was the new aero helmet. I was forced to buy one because of the rule about the CPSC norm. They have to think over this.

http://cds-0.blogspot.com/

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next