Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I am using a Sole Thin Sport insole, which I've heard other people using with Bont shoes with some success. They are a little thicker than the stock insoles and do contribute to the shoe fitting a bit tighter. The problem is I have high arches and my feet catch fire if I use the stock ones.

I also haven't even heat molded them yet, as my oven is broken. :noidea:

Thanks for the info JohnnyRad. I'll contact bicitech about longer straps and try to find a friend who will lend me their oven. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addicted

by addicted

Go buy a toaster oven from Walmart, return it when you are doen with it.................................................... ;)

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

I have a small business producing something similar to the custom Bont shoe system. It is a little too involved to describe fully in a wieght weenie posting but if you take a look at the Custom Carbon Fiber 3-Dimensional insoles produced by Veloflyte you will get a full description.

www.veloflyte.com

LouisN

by LouisN

received my A-1's last friday :D ...

Guess I should contribute to the topic: I weighted them on my 70's kitchen scale; they're 255-260g each roughly (for the white leather model). Nice finish.

I was a little stressed because I ordered them without putting my feet in them (think I would've never chose these if I knew how they felt before molding...).

So I measured my feet like they advise on the Bont site.
My left foot is 262mm, and the right is 268mm.
I ordered the 42.5 based on this info.
After reading thru this topic, I was a little discouraged.

When I received the shoes, I put them immediatly on, this is REALLY different from your usual shoes. A few pressure points are very uncomfortable. Exact same feeling as when you put on a pair of "race plug" downhill ski boots (race plug shells are lower volume for better transmission of movement, and you have to "Dremmel", and mold the shell to the shape of the foot, just to be able to wear them...).
I talked to the Canadian distributor, and he told me how to mold them correctly, wich I did.
1°) -Put a thicker sock (I put a thermal sock)
2°) - Cover the bunions with some tape or else (I put 10-12 layers of masking tape over the bunions, and pressure points)
3°) - Don't over heat ( I used my kitchen oven, wich is very precise at 170°F for 20 minutes)
4°) - Take off the insole (wich I did) before putting the shoe in the oven !!!
5°) - Wear the other shoe at the same time, and stand with the knees slightly bent, 5 minutes(wich I did)

After the "baking" it was a lot better. My feet even felt to small with my thin socks on. I did a 30min. spining ride on the trainer (I lowered the seatpost by around 7-8mm). Played a bit with the cleats to center them the way they "feel" right for me...
Second day: 90 min.ride on the trainer (warm-up / 2X20' / cool down). Very small pressure points I didn't notice when first trying the shoes on, at different places on the feet, more annoying than painful. I decided to "bake them" another time, with the same technique. Just putting the tape over different parts this time.
Third ride: An hour recovery ride, with single leg reps. The shoes feel good. Still "weird" feeling (I was on Northwave Aerator race for the last 4 years), but good (no more pressure points). I'll try a thicker sock for a tighter feel (notice my feet are pretty flat and low, but reasonably wide, my ankle is tiny).
I will definitely give them a chance this summer. Can't wait for the weather to allow us to go out !!! For now, on the trainer (without a fan), they are WARM !!! I'm thinking of doing the same thing as spinwax , but will wait for a few rides outside before...

Louis :)

Murphs

by Murphs

I now have a pair of Vaypor as well as my A-Ones.

They feel identical on my feet, except the ventilation in the Vaypor is notably better. I will probably invest in some toe covers for winter.

I prefer the fastening system on the Vaypor too, since the velcro straps are only really used for making it easier to take the shoe off, it's nice to only have to undo/do one strap.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones that they work for (after a little time in the oven)

rustychain

by rustychain

My local LBS dropped Bont's. To many issues. After all the effort to get mine right I can understand.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I emailed Bont to try and find a local dealer that could order me a pair. After several weeks of emailing back and forth with Bont they still have not been able to provide me with a list of resellers in my area. The shoes look cool but this is way too much of a pain in the ass.

SQ

by SQ

http://rbcsport.com/our-products/zenith ... ling-shoes

All the benefits and features of Bonts (ie 3.5 mm stiff wrap around sole) in a much more refined custom package made from a full mould of your foot (best taken by an orthotist). Heard nothing but extraordinary feedback about them. My next shoes.

Cam Meyer and Shane Perkins (track WC) among those on them.

Murphs

by Murphs

But how much do they cost?

SQ

by SQ

Murphs wrote:But how much do they cost?

Oh, that little detail I omitted...A$1250 through an orthotist so includes their time and any remakes until you're happy. Still heaps though.

Zeros are nearly A$1000 I think. True customs cost!

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

SQ wrote:http://rbcsport.com/our-products/zenith-road-cycling-shoes

All the benefits and features of Bonts (ie 3.5 mm stiff wrap around sole) in a much more refined custom package made from a full mould of your foot (best taken by an orthotist). Heard nothing but extraordinary feedback about them. My next shoes.

Cam Meyer and Shane Perkins (track WC) among those on them.

1850 AUD!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Now for something positive:
I had a crack develop in the left heelcup of my A-one's. It took me a while to get a reply from them, but then they offered to send me a new pair of A1's, f.o.c! I didn't even have to send in the cracked shoe (it's still usable for training) and could choose which size,width and color I wanted for the new pair. Received them last week and the newer generation is much nicer than my previous Bont's, a little heavier @ 263 and 265grams per shoe but much more durable with the toecap, and a nicer fitting heelcup.

I know Bont has had some problems with handling warranty issues/customer service, but I think they've started to change this :thumbup:
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I love my Vaypors!!!! Look how excited I am! :lol: I liked my A1s, CTTs too. My wife is on A1s.

billb

by billb

quick question for anyone who has re-baked shoes.
did you take the cleats off. I have shimano cleats put on by a pro fitter and i know i can mark them and take them off but i'd rather not. I'm lazy. So, i know i have to take the insoles out but do i have to take the Shimano cleats off too.

thanks

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Finally got my leather vaypors molded up. Sizing wise...44 Bont = 42.5 Sidi Ergo 2. It took several molding sessions concentrating on a different spot each time. 150 degrees did nothing. Cranked it up to 175, but I had a thermometer in the toaster oven and it read 200. That definitely made them soft enough to mold. I used folded up Kleenex in my socks to help mold out certain spots. Easy and it worked.

Btw right shoe-266.5g
Left shoe-258g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com