What with all the spam lately

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Dukeneverwinter

by Dukeneverwinter

As the title say, what's with all the spam posts lately....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Bigfoz

by Bigfoz

It's newbies trying to bump their post count to sell stuff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

It's up to us to help though. I just reported a spam thread that was three hours old and had 55 hits. It takes like 3 seconds to report it, so that's what all of us should do.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Roobay

by Roobay

i do this as often as i can, but i will still say that going to php BB v3 would be a great move imo :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

jipperd

by jipperd

Hey Guys, Thanks for your commitment with our board. We as well feel the pain about the amount of spam lately, but we won't sit back. It strengthens us, that the majority has the best interest with this board. Like you've mentioned the best way to handle this spam support us is by reporting the spam. We're working get a more structural solution to this problem.

Thanks for your understanding and contribution.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

What he said...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

trebla

by trebla

I have been running a phpBB forum since 2003. Always there have been waves of spam when some hole has been discovered in the forum software code or security measures broken.
Lately it seems that none of the Captcha based security stuff works. Some months ago I got fed up with spam and switched to security question feature. This far at least has kept all the robots off.

Maybe switching to a wisely put security question instead of current Captcha would make the forum cleaner, give the admins/moderators more time in the saddle and keep everybody happier.

ravenswood

by ravenswood

Fairly new here, but I am committed to do my part. I reported spam today. You guys are doing a great job! It is up to us to keep it clean. Don't respond, just report

Ride on
Rocky Mountain Altitude 90 | Fox Float RLC | XTR drivetrain | Formula R1 Brakes | Race Face Carbon Bars/Deus White Stem | Crank Brothers Cobalt Seatpost/Wheels | Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

Powerful Pete

by Powerful Pete

Grazie ravenswood. Everyone, just report the stuff and we will rid of it. :thumbup:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I usually report several spam postings per week using the report function.

Here is one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89582&p=776302#p776302 I did not report, although I thought about doing so. This is not the typical spam, and appears to be a one time post. Perhaps the poster did a google search and noticed the OP was looking for a brown saddle, and of course the responder offers many saddles for sale, including brown saddles, but apparently didn't notice that the thread pertained to cycling saddles, and not to horse saddles. As I started reading the post, I was thinking this is sure a strange description of saddles, and I did not relate to all the terminology.

I think this post in question should be left as is due to its humor value.

zayisha wrote:One is a 16" seat, the other a 17" seat. Both have semi-QH trees (front of bars rockered out.) The 16" is red and black leather, the 17" is two-tone brown leather. Both come with pad, girth, and breast collar, and have ties for gear. I have pics if you want to see them. Priced fairly to sell.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the link...

Powerful Pete

by Powerful Pete

HammerTime,

Missed that one. I deleted the post and banned the poster, but left your quote here for entertainment value. Also deleted the link to the spammer site...

That was funny.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

trebla wrote:I have been running a phpBB forum since 2003. Always there have been waves of spam when some hole has been discovered in the forum software code or security measures broken.
Lately it seems that none of the Captcha based security stuff works. Some months ago I got fed up with spam and switched to security question feature. This far at least has kept all the robots off.

Maybe switching to a wisely put security question instead of current Captcha would make the forum cleaner, give the admins/moderators more time in the saddle and keep everybody happier.

:up: I did the same thing to a phpBB forum I look after. Once I changed to a security question the spam accounts stopped...

This would free up the moderators time to have a life outside of deleting spam accounts and posts...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It seems as though the spam has gotten worse since the last update to the forum.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ross

by ross

Can someone with admin rights just prevent new user accounts from being created whilst it's sorted out?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

crohnsy wrote:I did the same thing to a phpBB forum I look after. Once I changed to a security question the spam accounts stopped...

This would free up the moderators time to have a life outside of deleting spam accounts and posts...

This! :thumbup:
Speedplay is the devil!