Any suggestions on how to lighten up my Colnago

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiDude

by TiDude

Hi!

I just transferred all of my components onto a new Colnago CX-1 frame. The bike rides fabulous but I would like to lighten it up a bit since it currently weighs in around 17lbs. Can anyone give me suggestions (most bang for the buck) on how to reduce it to under 16lbs? Note: The saddle cannot be changed due to medical concerns and I must stay with clincher wheels. Here are my current components:

Colnago CX-1 frame/fork/headset
Mavic Ksyrium ES Anniversary wheels
Bontrager tires
Ritchey comp stem
Deda tape
Campy Chorus 10 speed brake levers
Campy Record 10 speed brake calipers
Campy Chorus 10 speed rear derailleur
Campy Chorus 10 speed frt derailleur
Campy Chorus 10 speed compact carbon crankset
Campy Veloce cassette
Whipperman chain (Higher grade)
FSA K-Force Carbon handlebars
Phil Wood bottom bracket
Garmin Edge 305
Arundel carbon bottle cages
Selle SMP Plus saddle

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

A good start would be to look at new hand built wheels. Something with light hubs and kin Lin rims will take off a few hundred grams of the current Ksyriums. You might as well swap the stem for something from the WCS line from Ritchey.

Sent from my HTC.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

+1 on the custom wheel suggestion. Depending on budget, you could cut a great deal of weight right there.

Next would be the gruppo, which could easily be swapped for higher-end Campy components that weigh far less. Alternatively, you could selectively upgrade weighty parts of the group, like the crank and brakes. Going with Zero-G, EE, M5, or even KCNCs would save you quite a bit, maybe even 100g. The crank/BB/chainrings could be another area where aftermarket parts could pare quite a few grams.

In terms of rolling stock, consider lightweight tubes if your regular routes aren't too debris-strewn.

TiDude

by TiDude

Thanks for the suggestions but another requirement I have is to swap out components that are equally as durable and fuctional. For instance, I used to have Zero-G brakes but I thought they stopped like crap when compared to Campy Record calipers. Are there any super light calipers that will last as long and brake as well as the Campy ones?

TiDude

by TiDude

Frankie - B wrote:A good start would be to look at new hand built wheels. Something with light hubs and kin Lin rims will take off a few hundred grams of the current Ksyriums. You might as well swap the stem for something from the WCS line from Ritchey.

Sent from my HTC.

Any suggestions on which hubs to go with that would be lighter than my stock Ksyeriums that have a good look, fit and finish?

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Hi TiDude,

This isn't from personal experience, but from doing some research, it seems the Tune Mig 70 front & Tune Mag 180 rear combo is a good choice.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =65&t=6940

Paul

irongatsby

by irongatsby

But then, I found this.

Boardman- I would strongly advise to be a skeptic of those Tune hubs. We have seen soooo many come back with creaking issues. It seems that problems with the pawl interface are quite common (maybe due to improper/inconsistent machining?). What happens is when riders are 150lbs and up, they get an slight yet everpresent creak on every downstroke. This may not seem like too big of a deal, but it can get quite annoying when your putting a few hours in on the saddle. Additionally, for the value, they are kind of overpriced. You could get a much better hubset (ex. Alchemy) for about the same price. The durability, craftsmanship, and consistency will be much better than a Tune.

The Alchemy combo costs about $100 more, but everyone seems to praise these hubs.

kgt

by kgt

Also replace your Bontrager tires with Veloflex.

erotero

by erotero

take a look at mine (link on my sig) and get some ideas.

To add to what has been said, I would start with the wheels and tires, get custom made clinchers (easy at 1250g range) and Veloflex RC or Vittoria CE tires or, if you don't mind tubulars you can go with edge rims, sapim cx-ray spokes and extralite or Tune hubs with Veloflex extreme tires. That will definitely save you about 600-800g (1.5-2lbs). A Recon 10speed alu cassette will save you another 100g and shifts very well on Campy 10speed.

As for the brakes, I went through the same dilemma not too long ago and, after testing many brands, I ended with Feather Brakes (199g with pads and holders). The problem is they don;t make them anymore (the original style at least) but you may find them at fleabay every now and then. Another good choice are also the KCNC C7 or the EE Brakes.

Bar and stem can be swapped for lighter components like Edge Composites stem and bar which can be found cheap as EDGE changed their name to ENVE and all items labeled with EDGE logo are on closeout. Use a KMC X10SL chain instead and will save you some grams and better shifting as well. And last is the saddle, I know SMP's are comfy but also heavy. The SMP Plus comes in at 360g (claimed) and there are several comparable saddles in the market that will save you about 200g.

My 2¢ :beerchug:
MASTER says... FASTER!!! ...but my leg still hurts...

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

custom wheels will drop the weight on that sucka

those mavics are fat.
Mass Weenie

wshiong

by wshiong

Ax Lightness - your one stop slimming centre :thumbup:
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Are you able to lose 1lb in weight from your body?