Me, and my bike - 2011 Madone 5.5 custom build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

guyc

by guyc

Hi folks

Just thought I'd say hello. I'm Guy, 41 and from Hampshire, England. I've been riding since 1990, albeit with a 12 year break from a broken neck until late 2009. I've just had my new Madone built up (mate runs a Trek dealer so mates rates are always a result). I was riding a 2006 Madone 5.2, now wet-weather/rain bike.

I'm a pro wedding photographer in real-life :D

It's a 2011 5.5 frameset built up with 6700, FSA K-Wing Compact bars, Dura-Ace 50mm wheels, Arione, Keo Blade carbon pedals. I've been riding a 2006 5.2 Madone for the last couple of years and this thing is hugely different in terms of design. Fit is great and the stiffness remarkable compared to the older Madone. Weight is bang on 16.5lbs/7.5kgs (58cm) and with my RS80 wheels obviously a little less. I'm a biggish bloke (6'1" and 13.5 stone) so find that weight fine for me.

Last edited by guyc on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

klingej

by klingej

That's really, really good. Well put together both functionally and aesthetically. The only thing that (for my money) not spot on is the red tints on the handlebar - the rest is all white/gold/silver-ish so the red sorta stands out.

Ride the sh** out of it!

Br Jonas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Really nice pics. You're missing the ubiquitous shot of your left hand on the shifter, showing-off your ring... :D

SaXoB

by SaXoB

amazing shots. great custom build, do you like those wheels?

guyc

by guyc

klingej wrote:That's really, really good. Well put together both functionally and aesthetically. The only thing that (for my money) not spot on is the red tints on the handlebar - the rest is all white/gold/silver-ish so the red sorta stands out.

Ride the sh** out of it!

Br Jonas

Thanks - agreed on the bars but they were a recent purchase and I LOVE the shape. So they stayed. It was a complete stroke of luck that the frame and wheels match so well.

:)

Geoff wrote:Really nice pics. You're missing the ubiquitous shot of your left hand on the shifter, showing-off your ring... :D

Good call - I'll do one of those over the weekend :D

SaXoB wrote:amazing shots. great custom build, do you like those wheels?

Thank you. Love them. I got them used for a brilliant price with less than 100 miles on them. Not the lightest but they ride so well.

ross

by ross

Needs moar vignetting

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

That colour way is smoking hot. Lovely build. Everything ties in nicely and the red trim on the bar is moot as you'll be going full gas on this bad boy I would imagine. Credit due on this new world carbon build.

PS - Have we met before ? :mrgreen:

guyc

by guyc

ross wrote:Needs moar vignetting

The bike or the photos ;)

diegogarcia wrote:That colour way is smoking hot. Lovely build. Everything ties in nicely and the red trim on the bar is moot as you'll be going full gas on this bad boy I would imagine. Credit due on this new world carbon build.

PS - Have we met before ? :mrgreen:

I think so (you MUST recognise those wheels....)

dcj9

by dcj9

fantastic cohesive look.... :thumbup:

except - if you get bored with the red (or people commenting about the red) you can always remove carefully with fine sandpaper and then restore the gloss underneath with car body finishing paste.

will take about 20 mins :mrgreen:

guyc

by guyc

Yikes - I'd ruin that, without question!

Westifer12

by Westifer12

:welcome: Looks great!

Do you have any big plans for the bike?
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

dcj9

by dcj9

Yikes - I'd ruin that, without question!
actually i just noticed, you are based just down the road from me. i could show you how easy it is to do on a pair of my bars i'm currently working on :wink:

guyc

by guyc

Hands off my bars! :D

Whereabouts are you?

dcj9

by dcj9

Sentyou a PM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com