English Custom Steel Integrated di2 USB - Updated Pics pg20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pocketbeagle

by pocketbeagle

Hi, just wondering how your bike is going...

I'm not sure, but it seems like I might have been ahead of you in the queue given the discussions I've been having with my 'english' builder... :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Yeah, I guess my various lusty posts in response to other English builds made it pretty clear that Rob English is building my bike as well.

I expect to have it in June so there are 1 or 2 in front of me... maybe a couple more. Rob and I spoke last night and hammered out a few more details.

Steel frame, ISP (with some slight adjustability), internal di2 and brake routing, aero downtube, 1 1/8" head tube, standard english threaded b/b

Custom steel fork with semi-aero, tapered blades, pinch bolt crown that mounts to 1-piece stem/steerer. Like this: http://www.bikerevuk.com/bikepics/brand ... nny005.jpg

Custom steel stem/steerer with internally mounted di2 controller in the stem. Like this: http://www.bikerevuk.com/bikepics/emiliano/ranger3.jpg

In keeping with the steel theme, I'm going to use my Sweet Wings steel cranks with some Fibre Lyte chainrings. I'm rebuilding the bb with full ceramic bearings. If those don't work well for me I'll go with a set of Claviculas.

It is still my desire to chrome the frame, fork, and stem. I'm looking into getting the crank polished and plated as well. But the metal polishers might talk me out of it. There are concerns that polishing the frame tubes sufficiently to get a good finish may result in weakened tubes. I don't want that... not to mention an additional $500.00 or so on the price tag. So we'll see how the finish goes. Perhaps I'll paint everything up to match, including the crank.

Rounding out the build will be the following:
Shimano di2 Shifters and derailleurs
Custom internal battery (possibly with a USB charging port built into the frame = no need to remove seat or bb)
Cane Creek AER Headset
Easton EC90 Equipe Handlebars
EE Brakes
Selle Italia SLK Kit Carbonio Saddle
KMC X-10SL Chain
Nokon Brake Cables
My 1060g 20mm Carbon tubulars viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62998&hilit=sub+1000&start=150

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

A couple more conversations to firm up some details. Building should begin soon. Got a pleasant surprise when doing my tax return so I should be able to complete the build immediately following delivery of the frame. Yeay!

pocketbeagle

by pocketbeagle

very cool... I'm sure you can't wait!! 8)

old_fat_and_slow

by old_fat_and_slow

There's still time to go stainless instead of chrome.

Avoid all the chrome hassles, go stainless young man.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Stainless isn't really an option with my builder... some of the work requires standard cr-mo steel so we're still working out the finish. While the original plan for chrome is still bright in my mind, the prospect of a more traditional powder coat or painted finish is becoming more likely. We'll see.

All parts for the build are in hand or in the mail except handlebars and brakes.

If anyone knows where I can get an Easton EC90 Equipe Pro handlebar in 44cm width let me know. Also, I'm patiently awaiting the availability of ee brakes. I know they are coming soon but I am impatient. haha

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

di2 group in hand.
KMC X10SL chain in hand.
1060 gram wheels in hand.
Nokon Brake cables in hand.
Frame/fork/stem paid in full.
Selle SLK Kit Carbonio saddle ordered.
Cane Creek AER Headset ordered.
Still deciding on cranks... but currently planning to use classic steel Sweet Wings finished to match frameset.
Trying to get my hands on a set of EE brakes and an Easton EC90 Equipe pro 44cm handlebar.
Bar tape to be determined by final color scheme.

I'm getting very excited.

fa63

by fa63

This is gonna be good, keep us posted please.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

there was a set of those bars on ebay 2 days ago, I almost got them, but I prefer a 42
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've been watching eBay and other sources. It seems like the bars I want are only available in 42cm width. The reach/drop of the SLX bars, which seem common on eBay, are wrong for me... the Equipe Pro round bend is the perfect fit... 75mm reach, 130mm drop. I found two pairs for sale on Craig's list but they are the 26.0 diameter. I'd prefer to stick with 31.8 as this bike will have a custom stem to go with the bars.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So today I discovered that Easton's EC90 SLX handlebar is available in the same reach and drop as the Equipe Pro handlebar. The bend looks a little different but is not the ergo shape I despise. I also found them for under $170.00 so I'm going to buy a set. This leaves me with only brakes to purchase. I'm still holding out for a set of EE brakes. :roll:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

If the chrome idea doesn't work out, I am thinking of something like this...

http://www.fastnfabulous.com.au/cart/im ... Camaro.jpg

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Saddle and headset arrived today.

Selle Italia SLK Kit Carbonio. 195g

Cane Creek AER 1 1/8. 46g

All I need now are handlebars and brakes.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Found and ordered handlebars. I should have them early next week.

I e-mailed Craig at EE Cycleworks about brakes. I've spoken to him and really enjoyed talking to him. He's a nice guy. Anyway, he said brakes are coming but they are not available yet. I'm not sure they'll be available before my build is finished so I may have to use some other brakes temporarily. Blah! :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Still no luck on handlebars or brakes. I also need to pick up a cassette, brake cables, and handlebar tape.

My build should be starting soon. :up: