Feedback on the Giro Atmos helmet??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

has anyone used the new Giro Atmos helmet?? Is it worth $189??

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

They don't come out until March 04 so I doubt if too many have had a chance to use one. I've got mine on order and I'll post something after I get a few miles on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

they are available in the new Colorado Cyclists!!!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

do people on this site just use dollars for toilet paper or what? everyone seems to buy something...only to buy something that does the same function (but is way cooler and lighter) about 2 weeks later. I know I don't have the money to do stuff like this, but I'm a student. I know superlight is a student as well, but when he was building his previous bike he did similar things (buy to replace shortly thereafter) are you guys like all bike shop employees or oil magnates or something?

gholl

by gholl

The WW forum members know full well how to distinguish various types of paper. Most also can distinguish ignorance of our passion when they see it.
The members of the WW forum are interested in light bikes and light bike parts. The production of these parts is, by and large, expensive due to the advanced technology and relatively small numbers of such items made. To an outsider, this interest (obsession in some) seems exotic and costly, to us it's a passion and hobby. The cost, relative to other hobbies, is diminutive and the pleasure we derive from small, light things is enormous.
As an example, helmets are critical to our safety when riding-they're also uncomfortable if heavy-so a new, lighter helmet is of interest to many of us. We understand that initially such a helmet might be costly-with time, successful innovations decrease in cost.
As a student, perhaps you now can comprehend what's happening on this forum.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I actually work hard for my money and elect to spend largely on cycling parts!!!!!!!! Pretty easy to figure out......when you get out of school and earn a living you might also beable to do this!

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

100% true! And.... here in Holland a package of cigarettes costs more than 4 euro's...... I don't smoke and save approx 1200 euro's per year :D
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

wow, you guys really misinterpreted my post, and you took some liberties with my educational status, which i don't appreciate. I understand the fact that this is a hobby and a passion, what i was rallying against is the fact that many on this forum tend to replace parts not because they are worn out or old, but because something cooler has just come out. IN relation to helmets, i understand their importance when it comes to safety, but I also understand their fatigue lives. Replacing a helmet (especially if it is a high end Giro, Catlike etc) because something is brand new is not going to significantly improve the performace of your helmet, it is simply a waste of money. I have had my helmet for 2 seasons, it has never been involved in a crash and I do intend on replacing it soon, probably with the top of the line model from a given manufacturer. However, if i had replaced my helmet last season, while it was still good with another just because it was cool is a little short sighted and akin to "keeping up with the Jonses".

limba

by limba

What did you expect from a bunch of weight weenies? :D

cadence90

by cadence90

"keeping up with the Joneses..."?
Who's Jones?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Well Dan, I crashed and my 3 year old Giro Pnuemo slammed into the pavement. There is now a crack in the helmet. I ordered the Atmos helmet to replace my Pnuemo. I know the difference between money and toilet paper and I also know how important a good helmet is. Personally I'd rather not have crashed and I would rather not have to buy a new helmet but since I can't change what happened I might as well make the best of it and get something that I like. [/quote]

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

thats a perfectly good reason to get a new helmet, and I don't want people to confuse the message here. What I was saying and still stand by is replacing parts just to replace parts (or in this case helmets) is a frivolous waste of money. If something is worn out or broken, then by all means buy the best, I do myself.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

By the way, if you look at the Colorado Cyclist site the Atmos helmet is backordered. They are NOT available until March.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I think you(dan) might feel it is a waste of money because you DON'T have the money to buy super light parts for yucks!! If I have extra money to buy light stuff for the hell of it, than that is my choice.....so you saying that it is a waste of money is your choice and opinion!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

cyclemanpat, I've been pretty civil up until this point explaining my point of view, and you consistenly make this like a jealousy/class thing which is ridiculous and an extremely weak argument, so go ahead with your 200 dollar helmet, keep rockin at the back of the pack. end of discussion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com