What TT aerobars to choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

simon wrote:if i had that frame, casran, i would hang it over my bed.
i still think that the litespeeds of the lotto team in 2002 are the most beautiful bikes ever made. if one day i have enough money for such stupid things i'll definitely buy a litespeed bike. don't know if i'll ride it yet...

Thx. :D

I'm glad with that frame as well. Can't wait to ride it. It's my first titanium bike ever; before I did testrides with alu bikes and I own only full carbon ones. So I don't know what to expect from titanium...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

whooztheman wrote:To me they look awesome and i doubt if lance has to choose/go with something that is NOT original and is a copy/immitation.
He chose BR by himself and it is such a small company that doesn't have the money to pay lance and disco team, so simple! If someone comments about Bontrager discs made by Zipp, then i only say that disco team works and has a contract with bontrager (owned by Trek), so disco boys can't ride on zipps. just mho.

I'm not talking about the Bontrager disc wheel ridden by other Discovery riders (though I believe Zipp helped Bontrager to develop these discs), but Lances disc wheel looks 100% a dimpled Zipp disc!!

If you look at these pictures you can clearly see the dimples (no Bontrager or other disc wheel has them) and you might see the "Zipp" letters under the sticker made by that artist. :wink:

Attachments
lancesdisc5.jpg
lancesdisc4.jpg
lancesdisc3.jpg
lancesdisc2.jpg
lancesdisc1.jpg

cambo

by cambo

a bit off topic but from the above pic, can anyone confirm that on the disc is a dugast????i've heard lance uses them, but does he tt on them too? I've never had them yet :cry: so I wouldn't be able to tell on such a small section of visable tyre.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

cambo wrote:a bit off topic but from the above pic, can anyone confirm that on the disc is a dugast????i've heard lance uses them, but does he tt on them too? I've never had them yet :cry: so I wouldn't be able to tell on such a small section of visable tyre.

I heard he sometimes used silk tubulars, but didn't hear about the Dugast yet... could be possible.

What I know that, if he wanted a top tubular, he used tubulars that were in the cellar of Julien DeVrieze (Discovery's chief mechanic) for some couple of years: this makes a tubular better!

On one of the pics you can see a logo on the tubulars: I believe it is a Hutchinson, but not sure. :noidea:
Attachments
lanceshed32.jpg
lanceshed3.jpg

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

So... finally took my time to take some pictures of the Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon Aerobar and the S-bends Team Extensions.
Attachments
with extensions from first delivery
with extensions from first delivery
with s-bend extensions
with s-bend extensions
view with s-bend extensions and Campa shifting
view with s-bend extensions and Campa shifting
as it came in: with those extensions
as it came in: with those extensions
the beautiful Bontrager box
the beautiful Bontrager box

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

The extensions and their weight ! 8)
Attachments
the s-bends: 173 gr !!
the s-bends: 173 gr !!
the "upward" extensions: 144 gr !!
the "upward" extensions: 144 gr !!
baerobar8.jpg
these extensions are delivered with the bars
these extensions are delivered with the bars
an s-bend Bontrager extension (has to be ordered seperately)
an s-bend Bontrager extension (has to be ordered seperately)
Last edited by C a s r a n on Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Other pics:
Attachments
pads
pads
base bar with pads/armrests on the scale: 501gr!
base bar with pads/armrests on the scale: 501gr!
baerobar13.jpg
baerobar12.jpg
baerobar11.jpg

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

This surprised/shocked me most: the weight of these 2 Campagnolo Crono little shifters is 164 gr !!

Kinda heavy, don't you think? Are there any lighter? :noidea:
Attachments
Campagnolo Crono shifters for TT bars
Campagnolo Crono shifters for TT bars
Campagnolo Crono shifters (l & r): 164gr !!
Campagnolo Crono shifters (l & r): 164gr !!

cambo

by cambo

164grm is good i think as claimed weight is 170something from the top of my head.
manalo saiz's gold one;s look lighter though. probably just standard campy ones shaved down and minus the rubber bits and then anodised.
but yes i do think that for such a simple, small and none complex part surely it could be lighter.
come on aftermarket company make us a sub 100gram bar end shifters :D

ps be careful not to tighten the expander too much as it will split the carbon, like i did :(
but you'll be right if the ends are reinforced with alloy, i cut mine down, thus loosing the alloy bit.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

A very special setup of the shifting on Tom Danielsons Bontrager aerobars in today's Vuelta prologue. Rik Verbrugghe did the same thing on his Time TT (see picture: click here). Clever thing to do on this kind of short TT:

edit: Danielson used a Deda base bar.

redbiker

by redbiker

This is a really useful thread. Thanks for all the pics.

You mentioned you were maybe going to try and put some Profile F19 armrests on to your Bonty TT bars. Have you tried this yet? Do they fit?

I think that the Bontrager bars look almost perfect, apart from the very shallow arm rest cups and pads.

Thanks.

eurostar

by eurostar

I've enjoyed this thread but noticed that nobody has mentioned Syntace. I don't have them, but they are stocked by Sigma Sport, which is one of the top shops here in the UK, so I assumed they would be pretty good. What do people think of them?
Attachments
Syntace_PICTURE1349.jpg

whooztheman

by whooztheman

Eurostar... this is UGLY stuff!
bliah...
:-)
"It may be near when it seems so far"

cambo

by cambo

syntace....awesome for a 1990-1995 spec'd bike for the lava fields of hawaii :)
It's gotta be intergrated and carbon to get my vote. I've got Hed bars at moment, but thinking of going to either bonty or vision. mainly because they have neater internal cabling. especially the bonty's. i wish they'd make them in 38cm c-c. like lance's prolouge one's.

whooztheman

by whooztheman

Cambo, Bonty's are made in 42cm and FSA's are 41cm c-c. Why you want 38cm? No stability out of pedals and mostly suited for pancake flat tt courses. Can u help us and explain why you prefer 38cm? This is way too narrow.
"It may be near when it seems so far"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com