Master PRBK

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

EcoRacer

by EcoRacer

Hi fellow Weenies,
Finally my long wait is over and my new bikeframe was delivered at my local shop. (Thx to Claes Henrik at Oslo Sportslager!) It took almost 6 months since I ordered the bike and an endless amount of emails to Colnago to get it done.

... No one wants to read the boring stuff, lets get to the bike! :beerchug:

Specs:
Frame: Colnago Master X-light 2011 54cm
Fork: Colnago Precisa
Headset: Chris King 1"
Seatpost: Bontrager XXX 27,2cm (Cut)
Stem: Bontrager RXL 110mm -17 degrees
Handlebars: Bontrager XXX VR
Saddle: San Marco Regale Team
Shifters: Campagnolo Chorus
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus
Brakes: Campagnolo Chorus
Crank: Campagnolo Super Record
Cups: Campagnolo Record
Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record (on both wheelsets)
Chain: Campagnolo Record
Wireset: Campagnolo
Bottle Cages: Bontrager XXX 17gr (Actual weight)
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Titanium
Wheelset 1: Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium with Vredestein Slick tyres and Vredestein Latex tubes.
Wheelset 2: Mavic Reflex rims, DT comp Spokes, Campagnolo Record Hubs and Vredestein (Dugast) 25mm Tyres.

I finally weighed the bike and it came in at a nice 7,70kg! (16,9 lbs)

I should mention that I work at a bike shop that sells Trek, Campagnolo, Vredestein, Speedplay,... :lol:
The bike is more of an Modern Classic. With all the style of the old with the technology and practicality of the new.

Here come the pics!

Not the best pictures in the world but I just wanted to make some pictures of it as fast as possible! I know some people are going to give me a hard time because I used Bontrager components. Although I don't see the problem with that since their design and quality is often higher than most Italian brands. (Also Bontrager is cheaper and lighter) And at least their claimed weights were all correct. Try to get that from Deda, 3t or FSA... :roll: (FSA makes some of the ugliest, least stiff and heavy components. In my humble opinion.) Also, I needed a -17 degree stem which is hard to find around here but my Trek dealer had them in stock. Yes the spacer stack is necessary because I wanted a 10cm drop. I have very long legs for my length (175cm with 86,5cm legs) and thus every bike is always a compromise. But at least the stem height would have been the same if I had used a quill stem. But I hate quill stems with an never ending passion! Yeah they look classy but are weak and old.

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by EcoRacer on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Hmmm........ I like it! :thumbup:
Especially with the classic wheelset!

Just my recommendations:
How about unlabeling all the Bontrager parts?
I know it is a matter of comfort, but turning the bars down a litlle and putting the shifters higher would give also more classic look...
this would also allow getting more setback with positioning the sadlle more to the back.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

BTW, how high is the Regal-e sadlle? From the top of tha sadlle to the under side of the rails (in the midlle of the sadlle).
Thanks!

Edit: san marco website says the sadlle is 45 mm high....
Last edited by majklnajt on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcj9

by dcj9

very very nice, especially with the dugust tubs :thumbup:

agree unlabelling the bontrager parts would further enhance the look.

Taz

by Taz

Beautiful bike.
Don't worry about bontrager components, I also used them in my Master X-light (albeit without logos since I went for the shiny look).
So how much does it weigh? :D

mrfish

by mrfish

+1 on preferring the tubs. Lovely. Nice photos btw.

The Bontrager stuff is fine, but I'd personally switch them eventually in a quest for aesthetic perfection. I'd go for a shiny silver FRM stem and maybe a WR compsiti (colnago or not - doesn't matter) seat post. But that doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with it.

What size is the frame? I'm guessing about 53cm [ :oops: doh, I should read more carefully], with maybe 73cm saddle height?
Last edited by mrfish on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giant man

by giant man

it's a 54cm dude, the OP said that at the beginning .....

DaniCervelo

by DaniCervelo

:no1: i am drooling here what a beauty! well done :)
Norco CRR1
Giant XTC A0
Motobecane Team Champion

micky

by micky

As much as I love the frame, Im sorry to say but I dont like the Bontrager stuff which just doesnt look right on it (nothing against the brand itself!).

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Beautiful frame, very classy looking :)

EcoRacer

by EcoRacer

mrfish wrote:+1 on preferring the tubs. Lovely. Nice photos btw.

The Bontrager stuff is fine, but I'd personally switch them eventually in a quest for aesthetic perfection. I'd go for a shiny silver FRM stem and maybe a WR compsiti (colnago or not - doesn't matter) seat post. But that doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with it.

What size is the frame? I'm guessing about 53cm [ :oops: doh, I should read more carefully], with maybe 73cm saddle height?

I was planning to go all silver but it's hard to find components that are silver and light. Plus in the end it would look almost too silver and a bit over the top. So I went for the Black and white theme instead.
The Bontrager seatpost weighs in at just 180gr and so do the handlebars. The stem is 115gr.
Frame is 54cm with at 75cm seat height.

The San Marco seat is 40mm Center to top.

I built the bike to my vision of what I wanted it to be. So I can understand that some people have problems with some of the component choices I made. Maybe good for them that they don't have to look at it all day.

Sometimes I wonder though, if the seatpost and stem would have an Deda, FSA, Cinelli or 3T logo on it, would that be any better? Would that make the bike or the components any better? I looked at all the components on all the italian and other manufacturers websites and ended up buying Bontrager because of the quality, the design (UD looks), the engineering, the fit, the weight and the price. I could have bought 3T which would have cost me 3 times as much, would be overweight compared to the listings on their website and just as Taiwanese as the rest of Colnago's bikes. I could have Deda but I don't like their designs. Some people are more interested in having an all Italian bike than anything else. I'm not one of those people I don't care about what name it says on the side of my stem, as long as I think it looks good.

I ride Colnago because I like the ride and the geometry and style, I ride San Marco because I like the fit and form, I chose Campagnolo because the way it feels and looks and not because it is Italian.(It made in Hungary I believe) Even Ernesto sells bikes with DI2, he doesn't care if it's Italian or not... It just works well.

Everyone can ride what the hell they want in my opinion, I don't need to like it as long as they do. I'm Belgian so I can ride whatever I want. Even if it's an Italian bike with French wheels and American/Taiwanese components.
The times when "Made in Italy" meant something are long, long gone...

Just my 2 cents...

kodo

by kodo

Nice bike :beerchug:

I built one couple of months ago, with alu component, would like to try modern build next time.

dcj9

by dcj9

if you really wanted to wind the traditionalists up, have a new colnago master x-light specially commissioned with bontrager AND sloping geometry.

it would be fantastic just to sit back and watch grown men foaming at the mouth with indignation :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grid256

by grid256

EcoRacer, this post is very easily wet sanded with great results.