Di2 RD Problem...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ruds

by Ruds

Hey guys, I have a problem with the RD shifting on my bike. I have been using these Di2 components for 12 months, I crashed and scraped the right STI & also the RD, both have worked fine for 6 months since this happened. Yesterday everything was fine and then suddenly the RD behaves erratically.

The problem is when I'm shifting with the RD occasionally it will shift up the cassette (towards the 25) even if I'm trying to shift down i.e 17 to 15, it literally does the opposite to what I'm asking :| When it does this it does one of two things, it either shifts up for a couple of gear shifts (when I'm shifting the opposite way) but continues to function OR it shifts it's way up to the 25 and becomes completely unresponsive.

The battery is 50% full, all connections look OK, cables look OK, it's a DA cassette & chain on a TCR Advanced frame.

I tried going through the setup instructions again, everything in the right place and behaving well then suddenly the problem happens again on the work-stand :evil:

Any help would be really appreciated, I am an experianced bike mechanic but this is beyond me :unbelievable:

Ruds

by Ruds

To add: I have the gears working great for about 20 sec of pedalling on the stand and then the miss shifts and it stays in the 25t. I have gone through the 'RD Saver Function' and it makes it's way through the cassette ok although shifting from the 25 to 11 is possibly a little quick, it takes 2 gears at a time where as from the 11-25 it goes smoothly one sprocket at a time. All looks ok, then it misbehaves again. Is there a setting I'm un-aware of or is this FUBAR?

ruds

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Sounds like you have a short that is asking for downshifts.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Ruds

by Ruds

Where might this be? Do you think it would be in the harness/connections or is it possible that it's inside a component (shifter,RD)?

Thanks for your reply :thumbup:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Basically, with electrical problems it could be anywhere. It could even be any place along the wire. If there is a pinch in the wire the two wires could occasionally touch triggering a shift.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Ruds

by Ruds

Ah I thought that would be the case :D -For anyone reading this, Di2 has be faultless for a years solid riding- I don't want this to look like Di2's rubbish because it's not, just obviously very different when things go wrong...

I only have an internal harness as a spare because I was in the process of drilling my frame for it, I'll give that a go.

I appreciate the help mate :thumbup:

musket

by musket

So, start buy using a new harness kit without fixing it to bike. If it persists, then it's in either end - rd or shifter.

Ruds

by Ruds

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that! I'll do it right now!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would quickly remove the Di2 group.......mail it to me, and I will send you a 105 5600 group. Problem solved! :beerchug:

Good luck, hope the harness fix works for you! :wink:

Ruds

by Ruds

Ok, swapped the harness, no response from the RD at all. As I see it:
1) RD's got a intermittent short/problem
2) The handlebar harness has a intermittent short and I don't have a spare one to check it.

The problem with number 2 is that I can check the battery status by holding the right STI's buttons down so obviosly some signal gets through OK. Also I could adjust the gears fine both ways using the right STI.

The problem I think is in the RD.

Does the Di2 RD have a force sensor or something similar that stops it from shifting if it's physically blocked?

Ruds

by Ruds

OK, in the time it took to write that, the RD worked for 5 shifts then stopped working again, I think its the culprit. I'll replace it asap and post an update. Cheers guys

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

This would make your job easier: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 676584.pdf

Like any proprietary bike tools, if you own the group, this is well worth having.

Ruds

by Ruds

Thanks Madcow, I'll get one ordered.

dcl10

by dcl10

The RD has a small PCBA for the stepper motor, and given the symptoms I'd say its been damaged.

Ruds

by Ruds

PCBA= Printed Circuit Board Assembly?

Thank you for the input guys, the speed on the responses and friendliness on this forum is 1st class :thumbup:

New RD on the way for tomorrow hopefully

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com