Changing Rotor 3D between different bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SQ

by SQ

Hi

I'm considering a Rotor 3D SRM and wanted to ask those in the know how easy (or otherwise) it is to change them between bikes.

I've seen a You Tube vid of a guy changing a SRAM chainset between bikes in 53 sec. I'm not concerned if it takes a few mins but I'm assuming that it is it realtively straightforward with Rotor as well (given that I'm pretty sure they're the same set up as DA).

Thanks heaps

Simon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

do you mind posting the link?

SQ

by SQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibycOXD-Mw0

Would Rotor 3D be in the ballpark?

SW

by SW

I've got a couple of Rotor cranks and I'm using them with Shimano BBs. For me it was actually not easy at all to get them installed. It was incredibly difficult to get the spindle through the BB, and even took a bit of bashing with a rubber mallet. I don't know if that would get better over time as the BB wears in, but I know it was quite a process.

Aside from that I wouldn't think it would be a problem - maybe the little rubber o-ring would start to wear out with many changes, but I'm sure Rotor could supply a few of those as replacements.

SQ

by SQ

SW wrote:I've got a couple of Rotor cranks and I'm using them with Shimano BBs. For me it was actually not easy at all to get them installed. It was incredibly difficult to get the spindle through the BB, and even took a bit of bashing with a rubber mallet. I don't know if that would get better over time as the BB wears in, but I know it was quite a process.

Aside from that I wouldn't think it would be a problem - maybe the little rubber o-ring would start to wear out with many changes, but I'm sure Rotor could supply a few of those as replacements.

Thanks for your reply.

Shouldn't make any difference given it's the same system but does anyone else know whether it's easier using the Rotor BBs?

Phish57

by Phish57

I can tell you that installing and removing my Rotor crank from my King BB is easy easy easy. The fancy "DTT" bolt they use in the NDS crankarm pinch clamp is genius. You loosen the bolt then keep turning it a an extra rotation or so. That extra turn actually causes the DTT bolt to force the clamp to open up slightly so that it can be pulled off easily. I can probably R&R my crank in well under a minute. The most difficult part is getting that damn o-ring onto the crank spindle. It has a tendency to fly across the room as I'm stretching it, but that's a mere annoyance, not a technical difficulty.

SQ

by SQ

Phish57 wrote:I can tell you that installing and removing my Rotor crank from my King BB is easy easy easy. The fancy "DTT" bolt they use in the NDS crankarm pinch clamp is genius. You loosen the bolt then keep turning it a an extra rotation or so. That extra turn actually causes the DTT bolt to force the clamp to open up slightly so that it can be pulled off easily. I can probably R&R my crank in well under a minute. The most difficult part is getting that damn o-ring onto the crank spindle. It has a tendency to fly across the room as I'm stretching it, but that's a mere annoyance, not a technical difficulty.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your advice and I like the King BB options.

Simon

goodboyr

by goodboyr

SW wrote:I've got a couple of Rotor cranks and I'm using them with Shimano BBs. For me it was actually not easy at all to get them installed. It was incredibly difficult to get the spindle through the BB, and even took a bit of bashing with a rubber mallet. I don't know if that would get better over time as the BB wears in, but I know it was quite a process.

I've had this experience as well, with a couple of Rotor 3d Quarqs. The answer is that theyve machined the shaft to slightly larger tolerance, and when I say "slightly" i mean it. All I needed to do was take some 600 wet paper and after a few passes on the shaft, it slides through the BB smooth as butter. I would not recommend bashing with a mallet, because you run the risk of wrecking the bearings. Just get a bit of sandpaper.

SW

by SW

Thanks for the heads up - they're installed now so I won't bother taking them back out, but will certainly remember this for whenever I do a full overhaul. Thanks!

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

It's a piece of cake with King BBs. I have a few set up that way and found it to work perfect because of the way CK did their plastic insert that sits between the bb bearing and the spindle.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

SQ

by SQ

Thanks again for all your replies, much appreciated.

I now have 3 x CK BBs, which I have to say are a work of art, gorgeous.

musket

by musket

The only thing to beware of is that constantly removing / reinstalling things does cause the hardware to wear. Also, rings will wear pretty fast (relatively), if they're being used on 2 bikes that use different chains and cassettes.

SQ

by SQ

musket wrote:The only thing to beware of is that constantly removing / reinstalling things does cause the hardware to wear. Also, rings will wear pretty fast (relatively), if they're being used on 2 bikes that use different chains and cassettes.

Thanks for this.

When you say hardware, do you mean just bolts etc? I hear you about the rings also...I will be keeping a close eye on relative chain wear but, yep, they'll wear.

However, a bit of wear and tear will be cheaper than multiple PMs...

mcrdave

by mcrdave

I've just discovered this problem too. Thought I'd ordered the wrong BB but nope, it just needs 'extreme persuasion' to fit.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Sand the shaft, or you'll wreck your BB bearings. You"re putting force on the inner race when you "persuade" it, and eventually that bearing will fail.

mcrdave wrote:

I've just discovered this problem too. Thought I'd ordered the wrong BB but nope, it just needs 'extreme persuasion' to fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com