Jamis Xenith SL or Giant TCR Advanced?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

irf3

by irf3

Hi all,

This is my first post but I've been reading at WW for a while. Unfortunately, my bike was stolen a few days ago so I have suddenly found myself in the market for a new one. I have two LBS's near me. I would probably just buy a frame through them and then build the bike up. I'm getting great deals (team) on both frames so let's assume cost is not an issue. So the choice is between a 2011 Giant TCR Advanced or a 2009 Jamis Xenith Sl. I like the 2009 matte black on the Jamis better than current models.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks all.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Moved to chat.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

Welcome to the forum irf3.

There is plenty of information already posted here about the Giant TCR Advanced. Since these bikes are basically unchanged from their introduction in 2009, some of it is a bit older, but still as accurate as ever.

Good threads to start with are:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47893
then: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64270
and: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63888

All of these were found searching the road forum for any threads with "giant advanced" in the title.

Personally I've been on a Giant TCR Advanced SL since 2009 and can't imagine a better bike for my style of riding. It has a wonderfully stiff BB, fantastically accurate front end and the ISP gives a ride quality that I noticed as being better then my previous bike (a 2007 Giant TCR Advanced).

Given your price range, I'd personally be tempted to see if it was possible to find an older 2009 or 2010 TCR Advanced SL - though I certainly have heard only good things about the non-SL Advanced, and doubt that you'd be disappointed by it's ride either, I have heard that the aero-post (which you'd be stuck with), reduced the compliance of the frame.

Basically, if you could ride these two bikes back to back you'd notice a difference in ride quality and probably a few in performance too. When you then consider that an older SL would cost the same as a new non-SL - it makes a strong argument for the former.

Sorry that I can't provide anything on the Jamis, but I don't have any experience with the brand. That said, I'm sure a search of 'jamis xenith' will give you a good place to start.

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you end up with.

Jurcy

by Jurcy

IMO I would choose Giant. Very good and solid frame. :wink:

djm

by djm

I ride and race both my Jamis Xenith SL and my Cervélo S3.

I have never tried any Giant bike, but I can say that the Xenith is NOT a better bike than the S3. The S3 is a lot more comfortable and appears just as stiff in the BB.

That said I ride my Xenith a lot, and it's a likeable bike.

irf3

by irf3

Thanks for the replies.

I have scoured the forum on both bikes and you're right, there is plenty of information on both, including some pictures that just make me drool. I just made this post to see if anyone had opinions comparing the two. I'll definitely check with the LBS to see if they can get an older SL at a good price.

This is such a tough decision....

tylerjandreau

by tylerjandreau

Anyway, one of my good friends has warrantied 2 or 3 Jamis machines in the last couple years. It failed every time by delaminating around the BB area where the metal threads join with the carbon. Jamis has always been good about replacing the frames, but if you only have one race bike, the process can be laborious.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

i have an 09 Jamis Sl. Great frame. Really love it. BB30, tapered head tube 900 grams.
I have ridden a Giant but slightly older. Very nice too.

shill

by shill

i am test riding XENITH SL tomorrow to replace a cracked 5.5 madone trek wont warranty. i have not been able to find a negative review about the '10 or '11 SL. i really hope it lives up to all the hype.

djm

by djm

tylerjandreau wrote:Anyway, one of my good friends has warrantied 2 or 3 Jamis machines in the last couple years. It failed every time by delaminating around the BB area where the metal threads join with the carbon. Jamis has always been good about replacing the frames, but if you only have one race bike, the process can be laborious.

I may not be your friend, but that has happened to me too.. Cracking has begun around the BB shell on two frames of mine, and now it is happening on the third one as well. 08 Jamis Xenith SL.

schwinn140

by schwinn140

Go with the Giant. I just got a 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 1 with SRAM Force and Mavic Ksyriums.

I'm simply blown away by the ride quality of the bike. The Giant simply has the best of everything. It's stiff but not too stiff. Compliant, but not too compliant. Aero, but not too aero. All of that and the thing is light!

Enjoy the ride
2010 Giant TCR Advanced 1
Colnago Master Ti
Schwinn Carbon Project Underground
Specialized CX S-Works
RedLine MonoCog SS
Paramount PDG Patriot Edition

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I have a 2011 TCR advanced SL (non-isp) and very happy with it. The giant has a good combination of characteristics. Its not the best at any one thing (stiffness, weight, comfort) but is well balanced so you have a great ride.

shill

by shill

i test rode a 10' xenith sl yesterday and was blown away. i ordered one on the spot. just to let you know they have three 54cm bikes left in the US. they had 4 until yesterday morning. the bike is a missle, i was blown away. it was even the wrong size and i was amazed at how well it rode. i am just getting the frame. i will build it up with SRAM red, 7900 cranks, pro vibe stem and 3T LTD ergonova bars. the race wheels will be Rolf Prima TDF 58's. the bike should be right around 14lbs. not to shabby. i will post pics.

scott

sawyer

by sawyer

tcr advanced!

mine is for sale.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

shill

by shill

first ride on the jamis today and all i have to say is WOW!!!!! the bike is a rocket. way stiffer than my old 5.5 madone. but it does not beat you to death either. it rides really smooth. jamis has done there homework. i think the biggest difference is in the fork. that thing is really stiff and you notice it the first time you get out of the saddle to sprint, very snappy. it tipped the scales at 14.14 pounds with my Rolf TDF 58's on it. that was before i had cut the steerer tube and the seat post. got that done today but sis not have time to weigh it again. i am really excited to go on a longer ride tomorrow.

scott

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com