Cheap, yet reliable training wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leloby

by Leloby

devinci wrote:....btw I dont know what DIY SOS means :?

:D Its like......."Help! I've just built my own wheels and they keep going out of true. I'm going back to factory wheels, handbuilts are RUBBISH"

Kind of thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

do you know if the ceramic coating of OP ceramic will wear off with regular brake pads?

If so, can you use ceramic brake pads ( swisstop green as an exemple) with regular aluminium wheels (carbones sl) or you must switch pads all the time?

thanks

Leloby

by Leloby

Use normal pads. If the rims are good you will get >30,000mls out of them. The pads will wear quicker than with normal rims but...what price safety???

devinci

by devinci

nice

I think my final choice is made, just hope i'll get some RELIABLE ceramic OP rims...

I would be so pissed i they'd flake off

mattr

by mattr

Leloby wrote:
devinci wrote:....btw I dont know what DIY SOS means :?
:D Its like......."Help! I've just built my own wheels and they keep going out of true. I'm going back to factory wheels, handbuilts are RUBBISH"

Kind of thing.
:D i built my last pair of training wheels at the end of a long day (did 7 wheels in two sittings) and the temptation to crack open a cold beer (or 4) was too much........... i should really get them back on the jig and finish them off properly, but they are holding up fine at the moment!

tinchy

by tinchy

Right, just gunna keep this short as its not too exciting...
Looking for a decent set of training wheels for next winter to replace the (heavy) stock wheels on my winter bike, a Giant SCR3.
Can anyone recommend a tough, resonably light wheelset for under £400 - cant really go much higher being a student and all...
Thanks!

false_Aesthetic

by false_Aesthetic

KinLin 27 or 30mm

laced to DA hubs

DT revolutions 2x front
DT Rev/Comp 2x/3x rear

not super light but super durable. easily repaired. etc. and you can find the 7700 hubs for relatively cheap. the hubs are also super mega uber quiet which is awesome!

NGMN

by NGMN

Just to kind of piggy back on the last person:
If you can't find DA hubs, I recently had a front wheel built on a DT Swiss 350 hub. They seem quite nice, and lighter than claimed weight. They have 240 inners with a Taiwan made shell. Come in at 385 grams for a set. Cost $200-250 U.S.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Zonda http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Wheels-Factory-Road-Triathlon-Campagnolo-Zonda-Black-Clincher-Wheels-Pair/CAMPWHFR505 solid wheels which you can race on.. easy to strip and clean hub bearings, decent sell on price.

Kinlin are narrow rims, so you get rounded tires.. IMO makes for poor cornering. I've got a set but never use them because of that. The narrow rim makes for a pain when switching between wheels as well :(

Otherwise I'd do open sport 32h, aci DB spokes on record hubs. Solid training wheels with great brake track. Cheap rims that can be switched for very low cost. Your looking sub 250GBP if you know the right builder to build it up for you / do it yourself ..

As you say their for winter use.. I'd go even cheaper and accept the fact the rims are going to get eaten by grit and grime. Khamsin are £100 and disposable... heavy but you won't care about them. How low & heavy are you prepared to go?

personicus

by personicus

OEM hubs (bikehubstore.com, ebay, or something like that) 20h front and 28h rear ~$120 and 280g/pair
Velocity A23, Ird Cadence, or Kinlin 280 ($60 425g /ea, $25 390g/ea, $50 390g/ea respectively)
Spokes of your personal preference, I vote CXrays or something double butted. (48 spokes $1/ ea)
Build them yourself or another $40 in labor.

You've got a 1300g wheelset for about $300.

giant man

by giant man

For winter, Excellights with pmp hubs and Sapim/ACI spokes would be the way to go imo.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Hi, I saw these the other day and thought they looked like quite good value.
RR465 rims
DT 240 hubs
DT Comp spokes
$GB 349 (pounds)
Shimano only

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBP ... -240s-hubs

Cheers,
I

Geoff

by Geoff

You can get a nice, used set for that price easily.

personicus

by personicus

I too run campy, it's a bitch isn't it?

Go with the IRD Cadence in a 20/24
And the Tiwanese hubs off bikehubstore
SapimCXrays will put you into the 1260 range with veloplugs.

Westifer12

by Westifer12

tinchy wrote:resonably light wheelset for under £400

Ultegra hubs to Open Pros with straight gauge spokes is the a great balance of cheap & strong! :thumbup:
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com