Kyklos Featherweight Limited

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Thought I'd share a photo of my new bike. Something a bit different. Just picked it up today, but haven't ridden it yet.

Weighs in at 12.88lbs (without pedals).

Many thanks to Mike and Mark at ActivCycles (that's in the UK!).
Attachments
Lo Res.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Looks nice. :thumbup:

Kyklos is Di Luca's bike company, correct?

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

That is correct.

I'll report back with a ride summary soon.

djconnel

by djconnel

What's the frame weigh?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I like it, but why is it limited? What are they limiting?!?

(and, echoing DJ's question. What's the weight?)

fa63 wrote:Kyklos is Di Luca's bike company, correct?

Does it come with a drug injection plan in the manual? A place to store needles?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

teterider

by teterider

I suppose that's why he named his bike line Kyklos instead of after himself.

But very nice looking and spec'd ride.

SL58

by SL58

I suppose I could drop another pound off this thing,
keep the wheels though.

kgt

by kgt

Looks nice! Tell us when you ride it if it is as good as testers said.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Looks great! :thumbup: Just read a very positive review over on bikeradar.com, so I'm curious to hear what you think of the ride.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Right, I've been out on it, so here's an initial report.

First, about me. I'm 1.85cm, 74kg, 1st cat road racer. My recent race bikes over the last couple of years have been a Cervelo SLC-SL then a Cervelo S3, and now this. I also have a Look 585 as a back-up race bike/ good trainer.

Spec of my bike:
Kyklos Featherweight Limited (size 56cm)
SRAM Red with BB30
Lightweight Standard Gen III
3T Rotundo LTD bar
3T ARX Team 120cm
Selle Italia SLR Fibra

I got the bike from ActivCycles in Corbridge, UK. I built it up with them in the shop. Unfortunately, they had already fitted the BB and chainset before I got there so I couldn't do the bare frame weight. I'll strip it sometime soon and see what it is. It must be pretty close to the claimed 890g, judging by the overall bike weight.

Initial impressions: finish looks great. It's a matt black, nude UD carbon finish. The decals look very crisp and the red highlights look good. It's also available with grey hightlights but I chose red. Quality of finish seems good. I've not noticed any problems. All the decals are hand sprayed so apparantly. There's some really nice tube profiles, especially on the top tube which changes from fairly triangular at the headtube, to almost round where it meets the seatpost.

Build: It was all pretty staight forward although the cabling was tricky. The frame uses full length cable outers, routed internally. Getting them in place too a while although we were using slightly larger Jagwire outer. As with all integrated seatposts, the motto 'measure twice, cut once' couldn't be more appropriate. The ISP clamp is a nice carbon affair with alloy hardware. The frame is supplied with an expander bung but I've used a bonded sleeve (like Cervelos) to save a few grams. Once built, I was surprise by how light the shifting felt. I had SRAM Red on my old Cervelo S3, but there was noticably less friction on this bike. Shifting is nearly 'Shimano-light'. This is probably down to the simplified cable routing (compared to the Cervelo) and the full length outer cable.

Ride: I immediately felt at home on this. The position was bang on (as I spent ages measuring it). Obviously, it's pretty light, so it accelerates well. I reckon the best way I can describe the feel is to relate it to my other bikes.

I always liked my Cervelos (SLC-SL and S3) for the feeling of unbreakable stiffness under power. This is a great feeling, but I found them quite dead feeling, and a bit slow-witted in terms of handling. On the other hand, my Look 585 has a lovely spring to it. It's stiff enough to sprint on, but gives more back. The Look is also much more agile than the Cervelo S3.

The Kyklos somehow seems to combine the features of these two bikes. It has that rock solid feel about the BB area, but is more forgiving. I found it easy to find a nice climbing rhythm out of the saddle (something that the Cervelos struggled with). There's also some comfort there too. It didn't feel harsh, even on fairly rough roads with 115psi in the tubs. I'll need a bit longer to assess comfort better though. Handling felt well balanced. Without consulting the geometry, I think the rear triangle may be a touch longer than some bikes. The over-riding feeling is of good stability, but still with sharp reactions to changes of directions. The steering is crisp and fairly light. Balance felt good, whereas I sometime feel as though my weight is a little too far forward on my Look (could be my set up though).

Overall initial impressions are very good. I'll ride it more and report more thoroughly on the ride.

gospastic

by gospastic

Nice bike. Looks to be the same frame as the Ritte Bosberg.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

This has been raised before. The frame has lots of differences form the Ritte one. I do like their paint jobs though!

gospastic

by gospastic

Do you know what the differences are? I'm curious.

djconnel

by djconnel

Data are available here.

Rated weight = 890 grams. If that's with a full ISP, not bad, depending on the size. The painted "Featherweight" is 960 grams. Chainstays are 41 cm, so longer than most (40.5 cm is typical, Cervelo S3 is 39.7 IIRC).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poully

by poully

Lovely bike.
Don't see many around here. Any long term reports please ?