Anyone ridden a set of American Classic 420s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jim

by jim

the cr420's and ksyrium sls are very different in weight. check mavic's website again ac's and you'll see what i'm referring to. better yet, check the weight listings on this forum. i believe pezcyclingnews.com reviewed the 420s against some campy wheels, and the the ksyriums... both of which lost out... mavic for the most part are a good marketing company... just my humble opinion of course

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Another question, my local shop has the set in with the all black rims and braking surface. The mechanic there reckons the black surface on the brakes will come off, does this happen?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okr

by okr

Did a fair bit of Belgian Kermesses last spring, four of the guys on the team had Am-classic 420, all where crap. The backwheel wouldn`t stay true, and the fronthubs couldn`t cope with the shaking on the pave.

They got the wheels for free to promote them..Not much to promote :lol:

I haven`t tried these wheels myself, but I sure became sceptical(?) towards american classic...

doozer

by doozer

Superlite wrote:Sorry bout that, didn't mean to come off that way, just seems like you'd know with all the people riding them.

AC wheels are rare in the UK.. I've never seen anyone riding them and I compete up to national level. I wish AC would do a tubular version of their rims but there ya go..

i was thinking of Ac 350's but have opted for handbuilt Ambrosio crono rims, 32* Cx-Ray spokes and FRM sl/feather hubs.. Should be of a comparable weight.. I'm out in america probably in august at a conference in Denver. May see if any LBS's have some AC wheels in stock :D

doozer :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

spytech

by spytech

jim wrote:the cr420's and ksyrium sls are very different in weight. check mavic's website again ac's and you'll see what i'm referring to. better yet, check the weight listings on this forum. i believe pezcyclingnews.com reviewed the 420s against some campy wheels, and the the ksyriums... both of which lost out... mavic for the most part are a good marketing company... just my humble opinion of course

i was referring to the rim, not the entire wheelset. the AC CR420 rim is 420g, and the mavic ksyrium sl rim is about the same weight (thats what i meant about rotational weight) only advantage to the AC CR420 rim is that they are more aero.

cadence90

by cadence90

Francois_Viviers wrote:If memeory serves me correctly the problem theyhad was with the engagement pawl on the freehub body snapping under high loads, which in turn would cause your wheel freehub to just spin on the axle. No forward motion anymore :shock: but I read somewhere (not to sure where now) that they have corrected this by using six pawls....

I don't know if they've fixed them, but a riding buddy had this exact problem, twice, and he's a light rider. They just snapped, and it was hitch-a-ride time. He was pissed, spoke at length with Bill Shook (he says Shook was cool to talk with) after the second time, since then the third pair is a dream, he says....so maybe they're better now.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Hm...maybe I'll just stick with my Ksyriums and see how light I can get my Trek with them, ought to be able to just get it onto the listing thing! :D

cadence90

by cadence90

What about Dave Thomas SpeedDream AeroLite?
These are comparable to AC 420, re: strength, weight, profile.
That's what I have: White Industries hubs; road front, mountain rear; Campagnolo set-up; Velocity Fusion Rims; Sapim CX-Ray; light, fast, strong, simple.
They work for me.
He also makes a version using AC 350 rims, shallower rim, a bit lighter, but not as tough. He used to use AC hubs and then switched to White.
Dave will build you any wheel you want, and is a good guy.
http://www.speeddream.com/
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri