new frameset and seat post tuning 6.45kg update pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Thanks guys, I've been looking at all possible ways off losing grams from each part and not to weaken any bit just where materials not needed. Finding it hard now as theres no where left to remove any. I have saved loads of weight for free and that still very much stock looking.

Pepole say a bike like that should weight more with those components but they don't see where the weight loss is.
I do have some Planet X Ultralite cnc brakes on its way will post when i get them on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Inspiring work :D not only sheeding weight but it keeps getting better looking 8)

deltasierra

by deltasierra

Enjoyed your thread. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Should be stickied.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

got the new planet x brakes, came in a bit overweight but bike now is 6.45kg 14.2lb nice :lol:
Last edited by bikejunkie on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Because I enjoy it. I like to tinker and tune to get the best out of the parts that manufactures don't have time to do. its not a struggle to me as I'm a mutli-skilled carpenter by trade and always doing something, so why not do something you enjoy and get satifaction from it. I choose to do it and I love it.
That what a true weight weenie does and rather than just a cheque book Bike build.

kgt

by kgt

bikejunkie wrote:Because I enjoy it. its not a struggle to me as I'm a mutli-skilled carpenter by trade and always doing something, so why not do something you enjoy and get satifaction from it. I choose to do it and I love it.

ok then :thumbup:

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

could you tell me how the planet x brakeset work on the road, strong enough ?? do you keep the original pads?
Ninja

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

HI I have changed the pads to the ones off my old brakes (dura ace 7800) because I didn't like the pads that came with them. they left too many marks on the rim and the original ones were lighter anyway.
I haven't tried them yet but will be today, they do fell good when you squeeze the levers not much flex, bit fiddly to set up and stay centered but ok. great value though.

will post to report how the are.

EKIMIKE

by EKIMIKE

I've found the planet-x brakes to be pretty good. I'd rate them better than the Veloce ones on my winter bike. I can't compare them to much else but i'd say they're sufficient even when i was around 85Kg's. I am using Swiss-Stop black pads though so i don't know how much that contributes. Centering can be an issue on set-up but easily adjustable with an allen key.

bikejunkie - i've been watching this thread and i thing you've done an awesome job. Such a difference from the first post. Some great workmanship (assuming it all holds together :wink:). Nice to see something a bit out of the ordinary in that respect.

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Can I ask were you purchase your Extralite Ultrastar 2? Was it in the UK?

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

HI I purchased it direct from extralite web shop in italy came in about 5 days about £29 intotal with the delivery.

EKIMIKE glad you enjoyed my project.

Went for a ride today. the brakes are very good, they don't have as much bite as the da 7800 but wouldn't expect them too. they are not far off, they will still stop very quick if needed and have good modulation, didn't notice any flex and fell as my old brakes do. a well worth getting product. what you save on these you can buy something else too.

The bike is holding up very well It's strange feeling riding a bike weighting 6.45kg yet very light yet still as strong as a untuned one. some exotic parts are fragile or not very reliable.

Tuned my front mech a bit more today slotted the cage and took more material form the body. it is 62g, forgot to take some pics before I refitted it.
bar tape 34g. I rewound it with minimal overlay therfore cutting a few more inches off and leaving out the little piece that goes around the shifter clamps 6g lost in total
Brake pads 4g less from the planet x ones.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Just wanted to post my current weight list @6.43kg.

Component Make Model g
Frame Planet X SL Pro Carbon 1033g
Forks Planet X Pro Carbon 346g
wheelset Mavic kysrium 1590g
Tubes x2 Bontrager XXXlite 100g
Tyres Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 382g
F/mech clamp BBB 34.9mm 17g
Front mech Shimano Ultegra 62g
Chain KMC X10SL Gold 227g
Rear mech Shimano Dura-ace 7800 154g
Cassette Shimano Dura-ace 7900 174g
lockring Kcnc Red 7g
Chainset FSA K-force light 562g
Bottom Bracket FSA Megaxo Ceramic 80g
Brake calipers Planet X Ultralite CNC 207g
Shift levers Shimano Dura-ace 7900 372g
Cables Shimano Dura-ace 160g
Pedals Look Keo Ti 195g
Bar tape Lizard skins Race 34g
Handlebars Ritchey WCS 220g
Headset FSA CE Orbit 59g
Headset bung Extralite Ultrastar2 7g
Stem cap + bolt Homemade carbon 3g
Stem Ritchey WCS 90mm 100g
Seatpost clamp Planet X Superlight Ti 9g
Seatpost FSA SL 250 SBS 154g
Seat Selle Italia SLR (cover removed) 110g
Bottle cage bolts Kcnc 1g
Bottle cage Enigma Carbon 12g
Skewers Kcnc Ti Red 44g

Total 6443g

I have a few upgrades in mind.
Kcnc alloy cassette
Fibrelyte Carbon chainrings
Fibrelyte carbon jockey wheels
Parlee carbon mech clamp
Nokon or I-links cables
Lighter wheels.

These should bring the weight down to around 5.8kg! :D
BUT will cost a fortune. maybe in time I will get some of those bits.
Last edited by bikejunkie on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Tuned inner ring. I grinded the inner part of the ring ( silver bits) saving 6g.
Attachments
CIMG6707 - Copy.JPG
CIMG8190 - Copy.JPG

SDP

by SDP

really enjoying the real ww ethos on this build
i'd definately go ilinks & mini ilinks ..i put them on my builds 2 years ago & wouldnt go back
my wifes tcr has same brakes & even she noticed improved braking with the ilinks :shock:

great work ..keep it up

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com