Training Routines

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

Thanks. Yeah, inside is a more sustained effort... steady cadence/power. Outside there is definitely some variation. Didn't realize it could be done so often. I was thinking about 2/week. Sun's shining, so hopefully I'll be outside today! Maybe mix in some sprint work.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrAK

by MrAK

boysa wrote:Thanks. Yeah, inside is a more sustained effort... steady cadence/power. Outside there is definitely some variation. Didn't realize it could be done so often. I was thinking about 2/week. Sun's shining, so hopefully I'll be outside today! Maybe mix in some sprint work.

I find heat and time dilation the main problems.
R3 S3 P3C BT X1 | put it in the big ring

KWalker

by KWalker

My power files fluctuate a ton less indoors, but the efforts are harder because of boredom, motivation, and cooling.

I don't like doing 2x20s or the same type of LT work on back to back days personally. I find it boring and unmotivating. Remember that you can also do other intervals, there are literally dozens of variations. My actual favorite is just an hour at threshold on the open road and I will often put out better numbers than in an interval and ramp my efforts better. Managed to set a new 1 hour record today AFTER 6x4 at vo2 max and 1x30 at my old threshold before that. Motivation goes a long way.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

adgem1

by adgem1

KWalker wrote:My power files fluctuate a ton less indoors, but the efforts are harder because of boredom, motivation, and cooling.

I don't like doing 2x20s or the same type of LT work on back to back days personally. I find it boring and unmotivating. Remember that you can also do other intervals, there are literally dozens of variations. My actual favorite is just an hour at threshold on the open road and I will often put out better numbers than in an interval and ramp my efforts better. Managed to set a new 1 hour record today AFTER 6x4 at vo2 max and 1x30 at my old threshold before that. Motivation goes a long way.

what % of ftp would you do your vo2 6x4?
Scott spark LTD,Kinesis -crosslight PRO 5,kinesis evo,TK,Orbea alma,Canyon Ultimate cf

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't aim for anything when I start, but yesterday was 115% across the board. I set 105% as the lower bound and then use the intervals to exhaustion protocol for my average power to know when to cut them short. I could have done 1 or 2 more yesterday, but I had a lot to follow that so there was no real point.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Magellan3000

by Magellan3000

I respect and fear the first time I shall try this.
Tapeworm wrote:My travelling or generally time crunched pain session:-

4 min warm up
8 x 20 secs on/10sec off (for a total of 4 mins)
4 mins spin
8 x 20 secs on/10sec off (for a total of 4 mins)
4 mins spin

If you're not dry retching then you're not doing them right :thumbup:

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Lots of variations on this, basically adopting the protocol used by Tabata in his study.

The other form of high intensity intervals which are "popular" are:-
4 mins warm up
4x[30secs effort/30sec rest]
4 mins rest
Repeat.
4mins cool down.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Magellan3000

by Magellan3000

My typical workout is:
2 or 4 x 7 miles
odd segments: downhill. steady pain the whole way favoring 95+ cadence.
even segments: uphill. build pain (from previous segment) to point where I'm sputtering curses under my breath, shutting my eyes to concentrate, hyperventilating. On the two hills, I'm out-of-saddle as hard as possible... everything is screaming in pain... crest the hill... and keep hammering ten more pedals strokes. Try to hit ATHR towards end of segment.

PS: getting power meter soon.

barry78

by barry78

Im racing on sunday morning and Friday night i done 3 x 15 mins at upper tempo and on thurday night 3 x 15 mins upper tempo, this is the kinda the norm with work the free time i have, what kinda work out would you do before a race bearing in mind the only time i can train is 9pm saturday night and im racing at 11am on sunday morning

boysa

by boysa

Sleep.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

LouisRooney

by LouisRooney

boysa wrote:Sleep.

I am all over that!

false_Aesthetic

by false_Aesthetic

Tapeworm wrote:Lots of variations on this, basically adopting the protocol used by Tabata in his study.

The other form of high intensity intervals which are "popular" are:-
4 mins warm up
4x[30secs effort/30sec rest]
4 mins rest
Repeat.
4mins cool down.

Tapeworm,

When one is doing a session like this, what is the power at? (% of FTP or 30 second max?)

Thanks
T

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Percent of FTP will vary a bit depending on training goals and previous training. The idea of the 30sec efforts is to drain, restock and drain again the anaerobic system, so about 200% of FTP is a good ballpark figure. Sprinter types I would expect to be higher, pure enduros would be lower.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

dustbin

by dustbin

Been enjoying the following:

3x 30s/30s
5min rest
3x 30s/30s
5min rest
3x 60s/30s
5min rest
3x 10min/5min

Then cool down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomb

by tomb

Been doing the following on the ergo once per week.

20 min warmup
30 x 20 sec on @ 6w/kg 10 sec rest
10 mins rest
10 mins rest
cool down