Lighter alternative to ISM Podium saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dw67

by dw67

I have been riding the ISM Adamo Podium saddle all year on my road and TT bike, love them both. The problem is, they weigh a ton (315 grams). Has anyone liked the ism and switched to something different that they liked as much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

No personal experience with either saddle, but you might want to look into this http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=346

theremery

by theremery

The ISM race2 version of the ism podium is 270g (claimed)....not a LOT better....but some.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

TriRig

by TriRig

I had exactly the same problem with a light TT bike we're building for TriRig. So we just made a carbon version. 76g, with padding. It's going to be bonded directly to a seatpost, so no rails. Not the finest carbon work ever done (we did it ourselves in house), but it works fine. And yes, it's durable. I put it on the ground and jumped up and down on it -- no creaking, no issues.

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... iber_Adamo

dw67

by dw67

Very cool. You all going to make them for 3rd party sale?

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

There are definitely legal issues if they try to make them for sale...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

theremery

by theremery

Hmmmmm
I've recently arranged to purchase some alginate from my dentist. It's the stuff that they take tooth moulds from. What is exciting about this purchase (I've had similar products before) is that it is water-based and can be used to take 3 or 4 castings from the one mould. I don't see this being too difficult to do......a lite ISM may be my winter project.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

TriRig

by TriRig

No plans to sell these. As already mentioned, there would be legal issues, but just as importantly, we are not a shop ... we're a review website. Maybe one day we'll sell TriRig kit, but I don't think we're near popular enough for that yet :-)

dw67

by dw67

Great idea to join the two front prongs for added support. Wish I could take it for a ride.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

dw67 wrote:I have been riding the ISM Adamo Podium saddle all year on my road and TT bike, love them both. The problem is, they weigh a ton (315 grams). Has anyone liked the ism and switched to something different that they liked as much.

Hey dw67,

If you don't mind can you please describe the feel of the ISM Podium saddle compared to the typical shaped saddles on the market, I'm seriously considering one...

bricky21

by bricky21

Zenkai wrote:And yes, it's durable. I put it on the ground and jumped up and down on it

:thumbup: :thumbup:

That Ladies and Gentlemen is how a proper strength test is done!!

Lou3000

by Lou3000

I actually saw this on TriRig. A Dash saddle that is supposedly very similar to the shape of the ISM Podium.

http://dashcycles.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=42

I ride the podium and it is the only saddle that has ever made my TT/Tri position downright enjoyable. While this is definitely on the list of dream items for my Tri bike, at the price ($555), it is hard to justify when the rest of the bike is built for aero not for weight. Though for sheer WW bragging rights, 79g! Wow.

TriRig

by TriRig

I've been on the Dash Tri.7 for about a month now, and it's INSANELY good. If you like the Adamo Podium, you'll LOVE the Tri.7 -- it's the same front shape, but doesn't flare out in the back so it saves your hamstrings from any chafing. I wrote my ride report on page two of the review I posted here:

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... _T7_Review

thechad

by thechad

This style of saddle really lets you rotate your pelvis forward and getting weight onto the forearms/elbows when in the aero position. I think the lower your drop, the more comfort benefit you'll realize (I use 18cm from saddle to top of arm rests and this style made a big difference in comfort)

Wingnut wrote:
dw67 wrote:I have been riding the ISM Adamo Podium saddle all year on my road and TT bike, love them both. The problem is, they weigh a ton (315 grams). Has anyone liked the ism and switched to something different that they liked as much.

Hey dw67,

If you don't mind can you please describe the feel of the ISM Podium saddle compared to the typical shaped saddles on the market, I'm seriously considering one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Resurrecting this thread because I am also curious about alternatives to my ISM Adamo Podium for road riding. Brief background:

Rode for years on nothing but Selle Italia Flites. Not sure I ever "really" fit or loved that saddle, but in the 90's, if you were cool, that's what you rode. As I got older, I found I rode shorter and shorter differences, due to numbness and discomfort. Finally decided to stop being "cool" and accept a fred saddle. (joking!) Did some research, found the ISM Adamo Podium, and LOVE it. Not like, LOVE. It's a true revelation.

Of course, now of course I am considering messing with something that works perfectly for me. Mostly because yes, the Podium is not very "cool" and yes, it's pretty darn heavy. But I don't want to give up any comfort. Not even a little bit. Does anyone have experience with the Dash Stage.9 saddle for ROAD riding? It looks awesome and is crazy light but wondering if it's really suitable for all-around road riding. http://www.dashcycles.com/products/
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast