Whoa, 2 UCI team's are riding with Zero Gravity Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Check this out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... news/jan29

Supposidly they have improved the former CAT brakes, corrected the main problem of the spring balancing the brakes and the tiny surface area for clamping the cable has been enlarged to reduce the cable from slipping. Also new CNC'd cartridge pad holders, no more gheto cheap ones. Retail is only $323 now. Hope they work as good as they think they do, I know mine didn't, otherwise the UCI teams riding them will be flying over mountain passes. :shock:

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Interesting. I know Rob, the guy Zero Gravity has listed for press and sponsorship. Didn't know he was branching out into this area.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

anybody know the teams yet?

gholl

by gholl

Know we know that CAT brakes are improved and they're being used by pro teams. Now we need objective information on how fast they can stop a bike compared with other brakes.

spytech

by spytech

mechanically the Cat brakes and the zero gravity brakes are the same, so what brake improvement will you have? different pad holders, a couple of changed bolts doesnt account for the amount of pressure it can apply to the rim to slow you down or stop you.

i dont think they changed them that much.

Superlite

by Superlite

mechanically the Cat brakes and the zero gravity brakes are the same, so what brake improvement will you have? different pad holders, a couple of changed bolts doesnt account for the amount of pressure it can apply to the rim to slow you down or stop you.

Not true, the spring mechainism has finally been fixed. Anyone who has CAT brakes knows the problem of one arm hitting the rim first before the other moves. This has supposidly been corrected. Also the other major thing is the tiny steel cable bolt has been replaced with a larger titanium one. Hopefull this will prevent the cable from slipping, and increase power.

spytech

by spytech

well if you tighten it enough it will not slip - i have not had any problems with it slipping. but what i was trying to say was, mechanically not much has changed - it is still the same brake.

oh and spring mechainism has nothing to do with how much pressure or force it applies to the rim, thus it does not stop you any better.

ask me which one i would choose? i would say give me the zero gravity, but the difference is not earth shattering.

cadence90

by cadence90

From what some readers and the manufacturer wrote me, the differences are in fact important. An imbalanced vs. balanced spring is significant I think....
See the other thread: CATCLaws vs. Zero Gravity.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com