Planet X brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sam

by Sam

I have bought a set as well. Haven't riddem them yet due to winter here in Sweden.

But I do have a problem with the setup; it's difficult to get the rear brake to center after brakeing. It's off by far. One of the pads are virtually stuck on the rim and must be aligned by hand each time.

What to do?

principiamacb

by principiamacb

I've recently moved from chorus skeleton s to these and I think they're great. I even kept the chorus brakes for a while incase I wanted to go back to.them cause I wasn't expecting a lot but thyve gone now.

I prefer the slightly more spongy feel. Makes it feel like there's more modulation. And there's still enough power. I think thats got a lot to.do with the pads.

I'm not sure about not being able to centre them. I've heard off this before but mine were perfect. I thought there was an adjuster to tweak them to the centre. I'm at work though so can't check.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Sam wrote:I have bought a set as well. Haven't riddem them yet due to winter here in Sweden.

But I do have a problem with the setup; it's difficult to get the rear brake to center after brakeing. It's off by far. One of the pads are virtually stuck on the rim and must be aligned by hand each time.

What to do?

I've heard its related to the housing length. My front has the same issue. I'm planning on tweaking it sometime this week.

khaostik

by khaostik

Hi, you cannot align them by hand.
You have to use a tool like this:
http://www.citrinus.com/produtos/1853_Chave-bocas---editada.jpg

Best regards,

Filipe Dias

principiamacb

by principiamacb

Do u have to order that through planet x?

blantonator

by blantonator

how do these compare to KCNC CB1s?

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

khaostik wrote:Hi, you cannot align them by hand.
You have to use a tool like this:
http://www.citrinus.com/produtos/1853_Chave-bocas---editada.jpg

Best regards,

Filipe Dias

I remember I had to use a wrench with my Zero G's (these are vastly better brakes though). Are there any installation instructions out there? Didn't see any in the box.

Rick

by Rick

It's off by far. One of the pads are virtually stuck on the rim and must be aligned by hand each time.

Are you using the alignment adjustment screw and still can't get it to stay centered ?

maybe you have it too far off to begin with. Loosen the mounting bolt, align the brake, and tighten the mounting bolt while holding brake in position. The alignment adjustment screw is then used for small adjustments.

I also have one of the Park offset brake adjustment wrenches that makes things easier:

It is basically just a very thin metric wrench so you can grab the flats of the brake mounting boss. {mounting boss ? ....whatever it is.)

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Ravenmore wrote:I've heard its related to the housing length. My front has the same issue. I'm planning on tweaking it sometime this week.

Let us know if you get that sorted... probably just need to hold/adjust the main nut (on the brakes themselves) while you tighten the bolt. You can tweak the nut after it's tight. This has always been required on single pivot brakes.

Also, I'm curious about the "forged" model... if anyone can comment on the finish quality, and if the bolts eventually rust at all.

toxina

by toxina

i want to buy the TRP R960TI, they cost rufelly more 65€ than the Planet-X ut they are 40g heavier, can someone coment this please, because i got very surprised with the price and weight.

thank you.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Just ordered some planet x brakes today, they should arrive tommorow, had a hard decision between them and kcnc cb1 and decided on the former one for its price and looks, still they are 100g lighter than my current anchors da 7800.

cant wait for the postie in the morning, I have already took the old one off the bike.

Sam

by Sam

Which is the "alignment adjustment screw"?

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

rruff wrote:
Ravenmore wrote:I've heard its related to the housing length. My front has the same issue. I'm planning on tweaking it sometime this week.

Let us know if you get that sorted... probably just need to hold/adjust the main nut (on the brakes themselves) while you tighten the bolt. You can tweak the nut after it's tight. This has always been required on single pivot brakes.

Also, I'm curious about the "forged" model... if anyone can comment on the finish quality, and if the bolts eventually rust at all.

I figured it out. I just adjusted the bolt immediately behind the brake (not the one that goes through the fork) with a wrench. I remembered my Zero G's required the same adjustment occasionally). Really dig these brakes - light, cheap, and plenty of stopping power.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

bikejunkie wrote:Just ordered some planet x brakes today, they should arrive tommorow, had a hard decision between them and kcnc cb1 and decided on the former one for its price and looks, still they are 100g lighter than my current anchors da 7800.

cant wait for the postie in the morning, I have already took the old one off the bike.

You made the right choice. The planet x are not perfect (cable slipping and centralisation issues), but stopping power way better than the kcnc. Stopping power nowhere near Shimano though (with like-for-like pads).

sleepingmenace

by sleepingmenace

I too ordered a pair today..for the money, they look impossible to beat.. Not the sexiest looking brake alive, but 200 g brakes for just > 100 quid.. is a great deal
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com