Need help deciding which bike, NEO Hyper or BMC RM01?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bkuruvila

by bkuruvila

I am a little torn as I went to my LBS to discuss a potential Neo Hyper build, they offered to match the price with a new 2011 BMC Racemachine RM01.

While, I love the look of all the Neo builds on WW, the matte finish, and the potential overall weight. I also get to choose what components go into the overall build. However, BMC is a brand name with a better group but inferior wheels and most likely heavier. I'm also not a huge fan of the BMC look or paint scheme but it seems like a great deal (cost compared to approx. MSRP of $5,000). The BMC will also cost 4.1% more due to taxes.

Below are the build list for both bikes, the BMC is stock.

NEO Hyper
Frame: Neo Hyper 56cm
Fork: Edge 2.0
Wheels: Reynolds Attack
Group: Sram Force
Stem: FSA OS99 CSI
Bar: K-Force Compact
Saddle: Prologo Scratch Pro Nack

BMC RM01
Frame: BMC RM01 55cm
Fork: BMC
Wheels: Easton EA50 SL
Group: Sram Red
Stem: Easton EA70
Bar: EC70
Saddle: Selle Italia SL XC

Both bikes are BB30 and extreme upgrades from my current 2001 Trek 5200. I am leaning towards the Neo Hyper but would like to hear your comments. Patrick please feel free to comment as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

RM01 is a tier 2 carbon frame, I'm sure it's heavier than Hyper.
Topkey engineers have put all their best material and technology into Hyper. With Edge 2.0 fork and better components (except for the groupset), I think it'll perform better than a stock complete bike with aluminum wheels.
Last edited by phallenthoul on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

Roobay

by Roobay

having owned a couple of BMCs i can say that they have a very good customer relations and service if you ever have a problem they are great, i did once LUST after a NeoCycle, but felt it was limited availability and i suspected limited support, whilst i understood that it was lighter frame and ultimately a WW favourite. But i felt happier with the BMC choice
The level of equipment on the BMC seems higher than on the Neo too!
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

andyindo

by andyindo

Why cant I access the Neo cycles website? Is it down? Whats the URL?

Simon BP

by Simon BP

I would definetly go for the Neo in this case! I know that my oppionion might not count much as i have one myself. But when I look at the components, everything is better on the Neo! Onlythe groupset is a little heavier, but perfornance-wise identical(or at least very close!) AND it's even the cheapest. When you add up all that, then I would go for the Neo.

devinci

by devinci

+1 for the neo, the wheels...

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

I have owned a BMC SL01 and I currently own a NEO Exile Plus ... with that out of the way, I would pick the NEO and here is why.

1. The OP stated the most interest in the BMC was the deal and less the looks/styling - let's be honest, looks matter 8)
2. Having dealt with both Patrick and BMC reps, I can say Patrick has the edge. BMC reps were understanding and apologetic that they could do nothing about my cracked frame as I no longer had proof of being original buyer and the shop had gone under; howerever, I was disappointed I was not offered a discontinued frame at a discount or something. Patrick has been superb from start to finish including bad (rough) shipping issue that he was on from the moment I let him know about it.
3. As others had mention, I am all for the set up Patrick is offering. I am impressed by the improvements FSA had done in the latest generation; on the flip side, I do not like Easton stuff (both customer service and looks of products).
4. Wheels - wow, need I say anything?

bkuruvila

by bkuruvila

Thanks for all the responses. It would be very difficult to turn away ahumblecycler's advice since he's had experience with both companies. I am going with the Neo build.

Now all that is left to decide is pedals. I am considering both Look's and Speedplay's. The Keo's would be nice since I go to spin class every now and then but the Speedplay's seem to be more "tunable".

Would love some advice/recommendations. Will probably purchase from Ebay.

Thanks!

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Just to be clear, I was happy with BMC customer service in terms of politeness and empathy, and I do not fault them for adhering to the rules. I loved riding my SL01, and I may one day own another BMC but only if I can get a local LBS to carry it.

Having said that, I would still choose the NEO.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

the RM01 is far from a ''second tier frame".

I'd get the RM01 over a Neo

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

andyindo wrote:Why cant I access the Neo cycles website? Is it down? Whats the URL?

I have tried for months to look at the Neo website and it never works.
???

bkuruvila

by bkuruvila

The Neo website is down and has been down for sometime. All you need to do is contact Patrick directly through PM and he can answer all your questions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com