2011 Giant Anthem X Advanced SL 0 weight/s

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cog

by cog

Size 19.5 or Large was :!: :!: CORRECTION! 10493 NOT 9862 grams :oops: straight out of the box.
I also weighed just about every part separately, if anyone's interested, just ask.
Last edited by cog on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

toskij

by toskij

Very good...Last summer an italian magazine reviewed it and the weight without pedals was 9790 gr :)
too old to mtb, too young to die!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

Frame weight please, with seatpost clamp (does it even have one?), RD dropout, and rear shock?

Thanks.

cog

by cog

Jaker wrote:Frame weight please, with seatpost clamp (does it even have one?), RD dropout, and rear shock?

Thanks.

Seatpost clamp is 21grams. Looks like a Giant part, no markings. Double bolted. The internal diameter is tapered slightly and no lip like most other post clamps. Seems very secure.

RD dropout hanger is 21 grams too. Simple design and weight includes two piece Allen fixing bolt.

Rear shock is 216 grams. Std Fox RP23 and includes alloy, upper bush/reducers.

The front/main subframe is 1069g bare (not even cage bolts), except alloy headset cups (upper and lower) and rear suspension cartridge bearings are still in this weight.

Rear sub frame is 631g. Carbon

Left Suspension Rocker arm 56g. Top linkage left hand side, carbon.

Left Suspension Rocker arm bolt and spacer 6g.

Right Suspension Rocker arm 58g. Mirror of left linkage, carbon.

Right Suspension Rocker arm bolt and spacer 5g.

Rear 'wishbone' linkage arm 133g. One piece alloy 'U' shaped (viewed from rear) closest to the rear tyre.

Rear 'wishbone' linkage arm lower pivot axle 30g.

Shock lower pivot axle assembly 37g. Bushes, spacers, axle pivot and bolt and washer.

Suspension rocker arm pivot axle assembly 14g.

Shock upper pivot bolt 6g.

Jaker

by Jaker

Wow! Thanks! I was not expecting that much detail. So total weight is roughly 2,300g, right?

cog

by cog

Yeah, 2303grams, as I weighed it. Technically speaking, you could reduce that by a few grams for the head tube bearing races (top and bottom).
Not sure if that puts it in the WW class. I bought a ProFlex 955 at the end of 1995 that was lighter than this bike.

Oswald

by Oswald

Old thread, but I just bought a 2011 Giant Anthem Advanced SL in size Medium. It weighs 10.750kg in stock configuration, but with XT pedals. I think I could drop around 400gr:

Cassette: DA 12-27 instead of XTR 11-36 (It's mostly flat around here and I have the DA lying around)
Chain: KMC X10SL instead of CN94 (once it wears out)
Pedals: XTR instead of XT pedals (I have the XTR lying around)
Seatpost: Cut excess length
Tires: Maxxis Larssen instead of Crossmark (The Crossmark I have weigh 515gr and the Larssen I have are 395 :D )
Inner tubes: Maxxis Flyweight instead of noname (Don't like tubeless and still have some non tubeless tires lying around)
Headset spacers and top cap: Carbon instead of Aluminium

So for less then 50EUR I should be able to lighten the bike up considerably, since I have most parts lying around and only need to buy the chain and inner tubes.
Does anyone know what headset dust cap size I need? I have 2 carbon ones in my spare parts box, but they don't seem to fit. They measure the same as the stock aluminium one. But when tightening the headset, I can still feel play but can no longer turn the handlebars. Should I just put a spacer underneath?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The dust cap needs to sit on the compression wedge/inner race or won't work, sounds like yours is sitting on the outer race.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Forgot to mention the lock-on grips. They are heavy and uncomfortable. Will probably go for wcs foam grips. I liked those back when I was Racing. Light and cheap. Not Sure of I should Go for ergo ones from wcs .