Mr. Black - 5kg Budget Build (New Pics Pg.6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Hi I love your Bike, a real inspiration.

How do you find the brakes? Thinking of getting some.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

bikejunkie:
I can't really tell you how the brakes compare to others since all my other experience is with aluminum rims. I can say that the return spring is stronger than most brakes and that with the swiss stop pads they have no trouble stopping me. I weigh 145lbs for reference.

Just received some wheels I bought in the WW classifieds. They are Reynolds DV46t UL. They weigh 468f and 682r, so 1150 grams total. This puts them exactly 98grams heavier than the KOM wheelset. I haven't decided if I am going to use them yet, as it puts me further away from my goal that I still want to attain of 5.0Kg. If I swap over my skewers, tires, and cassette, it would put the new build weight at 5.2Kg. I mounted some unglued tires just to see what they look like. Tell me what you think.

Reynolds DV46t UL Wheelset (1150g)

Current Weight Weenies:
Cannondale Evo HM (In Progress)
Cannondale CAAD 9 - 6.44kg
Cannondale CAAD 5 Track - 6.55kg
Kona Kula Supreme Mtb - 8.97kg

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

fa63

by fa63

If those are the wheels I am thinking of (great price), I saw them on the classifieds and wanted them badly, but then I said I will sleep on it and buy them if I still want them in the morning. Sure enough, I woke up wanting them and went back to the classifieds but they were gone. I am glad they went to a good home, though.

Anyways, with that said I think the deeper Reynolds wheels look much better.

Geoff

by Geoff

Looks great. +1 on deeper wheels. I guess you'll be getting the new Red derailleurs?

SDP

by SDP

nice ..not always a big fan of stealth bikes but this is nicely done ..

soriyu

by soriyu

the deep wheels do the trick.
5 kg is of course a big goal.
but it would be even better if you could attain it in style. :smartass:

the reynolds give it just that bit of oompf that the bike needed to be out of the ballpark.

love it! :thumbup:

garyh

by garyh

The Reynolds wheels certainly give it more presence. Very nice.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Well done. IMO, better looking then my Scott.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Lovin it! 8)

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Thanks guys for all the support.

Now it is a game of having my cake and eating it too. Some of the easiest places to save weight that I have come up, without drastically enlarging the final build cost, is switching to cork brake pads, getting the lighter 11spd chain that was mentioned earlier, and possibly go to power cordz for the brakes. Total estimated weight savings doing those three would be around 40 grams. I am still on the lookout for a different fork, which could save a fair bit of weight too.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

Tallboy

by Tallboy

You could take a bit off the end of your rear skewer too..and maybe some tape would be lighter?
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

BERNARDO

by BERNARDO

Beautiful bike. Very good explained project and excellent photos.

Congratulations!

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Thanks again everyone.

I want 5.0kg so bad, so some purchases have been made. I won a set of 29g skewers on ebay. My KCNC are 42 grams so that will be a 13g savings. They cost me $25 more than the KCNC so my budget is up. I also just ordered the KMC X11 SL. I am not sure how much that will save me, I would guess 5-10 grams, but not sure. And finally I am ordering the Corima cork pads. From what I have seen these could save me up to 22 grams in the best case scenario over Swissstop yellows, and they cost $12 less than the yellows, so a win win situation, assuming they stop. So best case I could lose 45g. That would bring the total calculated weight to around 5.055Kg. Oh so close. I am still trying to figure out ways to get that final little bit without increasing the "as built" cost too much.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

garyh

by garyh

You are now seriously into the realm of diminishing returns!

Fibre-lyte jockey wheels
Fibre-lyte chainrings
Extralite stem
Schmolke bars
BTP brake lever clamps
Powercordz brake cables

different bar tape is the only cheap item I can think of, the Deda tape you have isn't particularly weenie.

Are you using a hollow bolt for the BB guide, and have you cut it down so that the end is flush with the inside surface of the bottom bracket? Alternatively ditch the bolt and superglue the guide in place. Also look at the guide and remove any parts of the actual curved guide parts that are not in contact with the cable, they are doing nothing.

Change the alloy brake cable ends for plastic heatshrink, or dip them in superglue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny_Yutah

by Johnny_Yutah

Last edited by Johnny_Yutah on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.