2011 Trek Madone SSL....now with Di2!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

Here is my build.....2011 Trek Madone SSL. I know a lot of you don't like treks but I'm definitely a "Trek Guy". This bike isn't quite a weight weenie but I think it looks fantastic and it is light, stiff, and responsive. I was riding a 2008 Trek Madone 6.5 and I already see the difference between the two.

The bike weighs in at 16lbs 7 oz with my Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels on them. If I put my Bontrager Race X Lite Wheels on, I save almost 300 grams. Also my bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase tires are really heavy, but I like them because they are "bomb" proof.

Overall, it might not be a "Weight Weenie" but I love it and for a big rider; 6'2, 220lbs, this is about as light as I want it.

2011 Trek Madone SSL - Total Weight - 16lbs 7 oz

Frame Size: 58 cm
Shifters: Dura Ace 7900 - 379g
Stem: Bontrager XXX Lite 130 mm - 126g
Handlebars: Bontrager X Lite Blade 44 cm - 213.6g
Crankset: Dura Ace 7900, 50/34, 172.5 mm - 625g
Pedals: Look Keo Blade - 258g
Bottle Cages: Bontrager Race X Lite - (2) 23g
FD: Dura Ace 7900 - 67g
RD: Dura Ace 7900 - 166g
Cassette: Dura Ace 7900, 12-27 - 173g
Wheelset: 2011 Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC - 1871g (Actual); Bontrager Website: 1802g
Tires: Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase - (2) 255g
Saddle: Bontrager Inform RXL - 215 g

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-peEE ... G_6161.jpg

So after 5 months of wanting to upgrade to Dura Ace Di2....I'm proud to announce that it finally happened! I just upgraded to Dura Ace Di2 and just got my bike back from the shop today. Here are some pictures of this amazing invention! I've only been able to ride it around the block today but I can truly say that this system is truly remarkable! I also added the satellite shifter that you see next to my stem for when I'm climbing.

I also painted the spokes white on my Aeolus 5.0 ACC Wheels because I just thought they would look better compared to the black spokes in the above picture.

The thing I love most about Di2 is the wiring intergration from Trek. These pictures don't do my bike justice in how clean the wires look!

First picture is with my Bontrager Race X Lite Wheels - 15lbs 7oz

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/34ofoV4ISrnj2ZmiSDIVG8il1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jLjMQh2M70DksZSrL85EDcil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m2WskNKAHz0qp64pTJsBOcil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC Wheels - 16lb 11oz

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rISXdrFBTi5HHWFTkZWR2sil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/22BIH4jiMJTV4HlEE47vgcil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9UV5hjveItbyMzU61uNSAsil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t2i3_MiSNoydGo6XzOWuVsil1r-rNifERFI4968TVg8?feat=directlink
Last edited by TrekGuy14 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 am, edited 13 times in total.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Nice color scheme and build.
Enjoy riding
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Trek SSL? You don't mess about. Congrats on the new bike. :thumbup:

Time to customize. So, what are your plans?

Did you consider Di2 over 7900?

It's odd to me that Trek choose to make the "Madone" badging so obscure with this (and other?) paint scheme(s). Other than the logo on the head tube, the text is "hidden" on the chain stay! It was much the same thing on my first-gen Madone where the "Madone" badge was a non-descript plastic emblem stuck on the seat stay. But hey, what do I know?!
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NextRiot

by NextRiot

What's the weight on that? looks sweet.

julz

by julz

Nice bike, Cant you get a taller headtube to get rid of that stem rise and spacer tower?

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

Thanks for the comments! I had the 7900 on my old frame, but I'm definitely thinking about DI2.

I hate how the spacers and stem look (upright and not flipped), but unfortunately I broke my neck on a bike a year and half ago. I have to have the bike a little more upright to give me some support on long rides. Hopefully my neck gets stronger and i will have the head tube cut and stem flipped.

The reason I'm riding Aeolus ACC wheels is because I broke my neck in the carbon clincher version due to a blowout. It is for this reason that i now ride a heavier, aluminum braking surface. I also have a pair of Bontrager Race X lites that I ride when I want to drop some weight.

I haven't weighed it yet but I will soon and get it posted.

djconnel

by djconnel

TrekGuy14 wrote:The reason I'm riding Aeolus ACC wheels is because I broke my neck in the carbon clincher version due to a blowout.

I'm reminded of similar stories in the VeloNews (Mar edition) carbon clincher review. Supposedly Zipp has developed a thermally conducting epoxy which should help with this. But carbon clinchers to me are almost an oxymoron.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think I been "hipmotized"... and the wheels aren't even spinning. Lots going on there for sure. As for Treks in general, I think they have some of the best geometries out there these days, and sizing options to fit most everyone. Very few manufacturers are large enough to be able to offer such a range of different fits for the same general size frames. Now... must look...a...way.... The vortex is sucking me in.....

Enjoy!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

Lol, I agree with you about Trek's geometry and fitting. The thing I also love about Trek (and other companies that do this) is the integrated bottom bracket. I think it makes for a much stiffer ride and it just looks better; in my opinion.

kmartin1226

by kmartin1226

It looked great going up Yokhal Valley Drive yesterday. But this is weight weenies...and we're gonna need to see some weights on that flashy ride. :welcome:

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

No kidding! I need your scale!

Westifer12

by Westifer12

:welcome:

Great looking bike, are you going to try to get some lighter weight non-carbon clinchers on there or are you sticking with the deep dish wheels?
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

I have a pair of 2011 Bontrager Race X Lite wheels as well, but I mainly ride on the Aeolus wheelset. I switch to the Bontrager Race X Lite wheels when I'm doing a lot of climbing with descents, because with my injury the last thing I want to do is scream down a mountain!

Westifer12

by Westifer12

TrekGuy14 wrote:because with my injury the last thing I want to do is scream down a mountain!

I completely understand! I was surprised to see Bontrager wheels on there but the ACC's are super sturdy. :thumbup:

If I may ask how did the XXX lite wheels fail?
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

TrekGuy14

by TrekGuy14

I was coming down a descent in San Francisco going 47 mph and came into a hard left turn. When I put on the brakes, my back wheel blew out, causing me to be ejected from the bike and into a cement culvert that was under the ground. Wham, Bam, Broken Neck!

At first I thought I caused the accident, but my brother-in-law was riding with me and remembers hearing the wheel blowing out before I hit the turn.

I was in a neck brace for 7+months and when I started riding again, I had no reservations getting back on Bontrager Carbon Clinchers. I was on a ride shortly after getting back on the bike and I had 2 blowouts within a 1 mile descent! Thank God I was going super slow. I had a blow out on the back wheel and after repairing it, I had a blow out on the front wheel.

Really weird stuff and I contacted Bontrager and my LBS and they were all dumbfounded. When I got home from that ride, I put my Aeolus 5.0 Carbon Clinchers on ebay and bought a pair of Race X Lites.

I WILL NEVER RIDE CARBON CLINCHERS AGAIN!

I know I could find another set of aluminum braking wheels that are lighter than my Bontragers but I like keeping everything clean looking with the same brands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com