Canyon Cf vs CF SLX

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

by Guy

I already have a 2008 CF Ultimate frameset but looking to drop down a size from 56 to 54cm.

Does anyone have any comparative comments on the 2010/11 CF and CF SLX framesets?

Due to price I'm looking at the CF. However, if the SLX is noticeably stiffer I will have to rethink as this will be my race bike.

by HakanC

From Tour Magazines tests of both models during 2010

Model | frame/fork weight | lateral stiffness | fork stiffness | BB stiffness | comfort frame | comfort fork
Canyon Ultimate CF |1037/329g | 90Nm/° | 68N/mm | 61N/mm | 207N/mm | 95N/mm
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 936/333g | 98Nm/° | 59N/mm | 64N/mm | 168N/mm | 97N/mm

Ultimate CF tested here:
Ultimate CF SLX tested here:

by Weenie

by djconnel

400 euros for 100 grams saved is on the high side for component-based weight savings, but for frame-based weight savings is a relative bargain. If weight's the only factor and you're on a restrictive budget you can make up for the heavier frame with lighter components, for example a light crankset and skewers. But add in are what appear to be superior characteristics, and I'd go with the SLX. Then get the lighter crankset and skewers anyway :).

by micky

I bought a Canyon CF 4 years ago, and due to warranty issue (and some problems/delays from the company) I got an SLX as replacement exactly 1 year ago.

Weight of my size 52:

CF was 1030 gramms as far as I remember
CF SLX is 980 gramms

Riding difference:

no one I could actually notice

At the end no, the price difference is not worth imho.
One little curiosity; please check your CF's fork "shoulders" as I noticed in mine that the frame was rubbing and taking off material.