Cant decide on crank....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stridertexas

by stridertexas

I currently have ultegra 6600 all the way around. And I'm not sure when I'll have enough $'s to upgrade everything. And I'm not sure if I just want to put a Dura ace crank on now. I weigh 155lbs and have looked at pretty much only FSA's. Any others to recommend I look at and read more on?
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

S-Works Venge DA build w/ 404's

Phill P

by Phill P

What are you trying to achieve with the upgrade?

Buying a complete gruppo will save you $$s

Given your weight I doubt stiffness is an issue for you. But to deflect you, what wheels do you have? The most performance can be gained with good wheels. Switching from 6600 to 7900 will save you weight and be more prestigous, but if your wheels are average, an upgrade there will give you more.

I'd wait until you are starting to wear out the 6600 parts and start upgrading rather than throw out good working gear (assuming thats what you are doing....)

To answer your question - shimano over FSA anyday!!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I second PhillP.

I kept my 6600 for three years, and built nice light wheels for not many $$$.

Then I bought a DA 7800 used crank. Around $150 (I already had a 7900 BB). It's about the only bike part I am not thinking of upgrading now. Hope to keep it for a few more years...

Louis :)

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Those 6600 brifters are boat anchors. They work really well though.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Absolutely the LAST thing you should ever do is install an FSA crank. Totally rubbish, RUBBISH!!!!
Keep your ultegra crank, I think the money is better spent elsewhere or saved.

Before wheels even, get a nice pair of tires and call it a day.

shadwell

by shadwell

Change to Sram Force 2010 shifters and rear mech...

Then get a DA 7800 crankset second hand....

Loose greatest mass for reasonable spend...

However agree that if your wheels are 1800gms r so now then loose 500gms there first..... using perhaps DA 7850 cl or RS80 for the more cost concious option (or better still HED Ardennes, but i won't start...)

stridertexas

by stridertexas

My frame is a 2005 Trek OCLV 110 Madone 5.2 SL. I got wheels last year, Fulcrum Racing zeros, and I love them. I noticed a huge difference over the stock Race Lites. Don't get me wrong I never trued those Race Lites once in the 5 years I rode them, so I kept them just because they have been bullet proof.

My shifters do feel like boat anchors, and the Ultegra group has well over 12,000 miles on them I've estimated (6 years of at least 2,000 miles a year, if not 3-4k some years).

The one of the guys in my group upgraded to a new bike recently with 7900, and another guy made a jump from a 9-speed Dura Ace group, to 7800 on his Trek Postal frame. So I've got an itch now. Plus I'm turning 30 in a couple of months, and hoping my wife will let me splurge on an early mid life crisis present :wink:

Seems like the consensus is don't go FSA, but wait to upgrade everything at one time, and 7900 all the way.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

reggiebaseball wrote:Absolutely the LAST thing you should ever do is install an FSA crank. Totally rubbish, RUBBISH!!!!
Keep your ultegra crank, I think the money is better spent elsewhere or saved.

Before wheels even, get a nice pair of tires and call it a day.

+1

FSA cranks are rubbish. As an U16, weighing in at less than 120lb, I managed to loosen the pedal insert on my FSA crankset. I've heard similar stories.

I'd say stick with your 6600 crank. I use a 105 5600 crankset on my training bike and I have nothing but praise for it.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

aldocg

by aldocg

Have you checked out the KCNC cranks? They're 710 grams and affordable.

50-100 grams lighter than most high end cranksets @ the same price.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Hi I had the same decision as you. I was going to go for DA 7900 cranks but went for FSA K force lites. I have had no problems with them that you read on the web what so ever. Its a load of rubbish what you read and hear on the web about FSA stuff, most of the problems are probably due to fitting error, any crank or component can fail.
I love my cranks, they look great and I'm glad I got them.
Go with what you want and will be happy with.

stridertexas

by stridertexas

Bike junkie you've made my life harder, haha. The FSA's look so sexy. I'm torn.

Richyo

by Richyo

I have some SLK- Lights on my bike which came stock. I have no problems with it so far (about 2-3k kms on them so far)

What are the problems that FSA have? all I've heard from people is that they are expensive for what they are(which i believe)

stridertexas

by stridertexas

I've heard (read in forums) that all the groups are overpriced.

Mostly about FSA I've heard of creaking issues, crank arms completely breaking or cracking, and finish issues.

But the weight, allure of upgraded performance from my 6600 crank, & sexiness keep me intrigued.

jimusan

by jimusan

FSAs really are rubbish. That pedal insert thing is really common, and the weights they publish are notoriously wrong.

Limerick23

by Limerick23

I would keep the classic looks of the shimano, plenty for sale

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com