Hood Reach: Shimano, Sram and Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

westside

by westside

Hello guys,

Does anybody know the reach comparison between the three brands? I guess it's hard to define reach in the hood, since they all have different curvatures. Just by eyeballing them, it looks like Shimano has the most reach and Sram the shortest. Is this an accurate assessment?

Thanks!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

We had this comparison a few years ago as well. (when Sram entered the market.) IIRC we then reached the same conclusion. Sram is shortest. Campa is medium and Shimano is long reach.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Campy 11 has about 15mm more reach than Campy 10.
rolobikes

Phill P

by Phill P

Haven't shimano gotten shorter in thier latest briftors?
Shimano shorter
Campy 11 longer
SRAM the same as always

So who ranks where now?

7800>Campy11>7900>Campy10>SRAM?

(NOTE in terms of reach only!!!)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I would put it like this

7900>Di2>Ergo11>7800>Ergo10=SRAM

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

I thought this was a good question so I just did some quick & dirty measurements:

Campy Athena 11: 65mm reach
Shimano 7950 Di2: 65mm reach
Shimano 5700: 65mm reach
SRAM Force: 60mm reach
Shimano 5600 105: 60mm reach

I measured from the beginning of the hood (closest to the bar) to where the lever approximately starts to go vertical. YMMV.

westside

by westside

Guys thanks for the answers. I guess the consensus is that Sram has less reach than Shimano.

Kudos to maggierose for actually measuring the reach. The difference seems much smaller than I had imagined though. Did you measure the reach of the silicon hood or the actual shifter body? I imagine the latter would be more accurate. I'd do this measurement myself but I've only got Shimanos...

brianvonlehe

by brianvonlehe

I crashed a sram lever on my cross bike and threw a right-hand ergo 10s on in it's place, not only does it work well enough with sram der and cassette, but the feel is surprisingly similar. Normally this stuff would drive me nuts but it's been months and I don't care to change it, or even put the left hand ergo lever on to match.
Don't know about campy 11 or 6700/7900.

bodid

by bodid

I've had all three and eventually gravitated from Shimano to SRAM RED to Campy Record. I've got small hands and the feel on the Campy hoods is really ideal for me plus they're angled for a more ergonomic feel. I never had a huge issue with hood reach.

angoose

by angoose

Hi, just wondering if the hoods on the new Sram Red have changed length? I know the new shape is slightly different, but is the reach any longer/shorter? Thanks.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

Digging this up, because it is such a relevant question regarding fit. We care a lot about Stack/Reach of frames and stem lengths, less about the reach of bars and apparently not at all about the reach of the levers... With rimbrake and hydro, the differences could be quite relevant.

Does anybody know a source for comparative data of shifters?

Or shall we just chip in here? What would a sensible, easily repeated measuring methodology look like? How do fitters do it?

DaveS

by DaveS

Lots of bad info above. Campy hoods have the shortest reach. There was never any significant change in the hood reach. If I ever made the mistake of buying shimano or sram, I would plan on using a 10mm shorter stem. Reach to the brake levers is a separate issue. If the shifters have a lever adjustment, you'd need to know the range. Campy 12 levers have two positions. I've been modifying campy levers for nearly 15 years to shorten the lever reach. A little epoxy putty under the release pin will not allow the lever to open fully, so those of use with short fingers can reach them.

Just looking at pictures, I see most brake levers a lot further away from the bar than I could tolerate.

robertbb

by robertbb

DaveS wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm
Lots of bad info above. Campy hoods have the shortest reach.
Correct. Both to the hoods but also, crucially, to the brake lever. A more ergonomic set-up does not exist.

cajer

by cajer

Bringing this back up. Now that we have 9200 with longer reach, do we know how that compares with sram axs? As axs seems to have quite long reach too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

This is something I've also asked here before. As someone correctly said to me: it's very hard to measure because it depends on several small derails that end up changing the measurements.

I can say I have sram hrd etap and on a bike shop I put my bike next to the 11spd di2 and the reach was the same between the two. At the limit, my fingers seemed a bit more cramped on the di2. Given that the new shimano 12spd increased reach by 4.6mm (or something like this) is fair to say that shimano di2 now has a tiny bit more reach that sram red hrd (not enough for me to worry about given that I'm currently not fully stretched out).

I cannot compare with campy as I actually never seen a bike with it irl. Nonetheless, everything I read points to the campy reach being the shortest.