Rotational direction of Conti Grand Prix 4-season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

I just purchased my first Conti Grand Prix 4 season tires and reading the instructions it says that on the sidewall there is a mark for which way to rotate the tire. But I simply can't find this mark :oops: . Can anyone explain to me how i looks or help me out in any other way?

thanks

dodge

by dodge

There is a raised arrow on the sidewall and its a pain to see at times :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

I dont think it really matters.

jipperd

by jipperd

There is a hidden arrow on the sidewall, however it truly.doesn't matter in which direction you mount them.
It's an overrated subject for pretty much all road tires.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

shadwell

by shadwell

Not so much interested in the tread orientation as i agree this is likely irrelevent due to tread designs being symetric and the sipe depth being so low as to reduce the efectiveness to the questionable..

I do wonder though on the ply construction and angle, and its impact on rolling resistance . braking . accelaration etc...

i.e. the tyre may have gretaer stiffness in one plain than another, thus making fronts better on the brkes and the rears better under accelaration etc....

Not saying definitively here, but interested to know if anyone (tyre manufacturer) has data based info on this one...

Tks

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I rode GP4000s for three years before I knew there was a proper rolling direction - I never bothered to read the directions and never noticed the arrow.

So, I don't think it matters too much. That said, now that I know its there, I look for the arrow and install them properly.

ave

by ave

It it's a directional tire, then it matters.
Of course they work backwards too.
You can swap the front-rear tires after 3000km and will get along, but it's hard to call ideal. Same with reversed directions.

Zak

by Zak

thanks for all the replys. For those of you who has found the arrow was it on Conti Grand Prix 4 season or the 4000S. Because I can find it on the 4000S but not on the 4 seasons.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I got some a few weeks ago and looked for an arrow as the tread is directional.
Had another look after seeing this thread and still can't find it :lol:

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

shadwell wrote:Not so much interested in the tread orientation as i agree this is likely irrelevent due to tread designs being symetric and the sipe depth being so low as to reduce the efectiveness to the questionable..

I do wonder though on the ply construction and angle, and its impact on rolling resistance . braking . accelaration etc...

i.e. the tyre may have gretaer stiffness in one plain than another, thus making fronts better on the brkes and the rears better under accelaration etc....

Not saying definitively here, but interested to know if anyone (tyre manufacturer) has data based info on this one...

Tks

I'm not sure how a bias ply tire (like a bicycle tire) can behave differently depending on rolling direction. Afterall, the the ply threads that angle forward on one side will angle backward on the other, and vice-versa. If they are not made with symmetrical plys, then they will not only be forward/backward assymetrical, they will be right/left assymetrical as well. I'm not sure I'd want to ride a tire like that.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

ave wrote:It it's a directional tire, then it matters.

Why? What is 'directional' about a bicycle tire, and how does its behavior change with direction?

euan

by euan

In other news. Continental are releasing a 25mm GP4000S. That makes me happy.

sawyer

by sawyer

euan wrote:In other news. Continental are releasing a 25mm GP4000S. That makes me happy.

How does this differ from the GP4000 in black, 25mm, which also has the incredible black chilli substance.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ave

by ave

MarkMcM wrote:Why? What is 'directional' about a bicycle tire, and how does its behavior change with direction?

Why would they mark it directional? As a marketing ploy suggesting "you see, it's like the expensive car tires, so it must be good!" ?
I guess it's because it's not a slick, it has some "theads"

gospastic

by gospastic

I have 4-Seasons. They don't have any directional arrows.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com