Longer Cranks

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

How many of you have went to longer cranks? I had a stint on a set of 175's and feel like sometimes I would be better off. My legs are long!

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

Roobay

by Roobay

All mine are now 175mm i too have long legs, i tried a friends bike with 172.5mm it felt "confined" in comparason
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I tried it, but couldn't get used to it. Like everything else fit related, I guess that it will be different for everyone.

Rick

by Rick

I experimented with up to 180s, but settled on 175. My inseam is about 84.1
Its a long story, and if you search you can find this topic discussed extensively.
My summary would be: try it.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Been talked about ad infinitum on this forum. The answer would be use what is best for you.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

USofChay

by USofChay

Rick wrote:I experimented with up to 180s, but settled on 175. My inseam is about 84.1
Its a long story

A "long story..." nice.
I'm 6'1" and use 175.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I have long, long legs (over 90cm) I am 183cm (6foot) and going basically the opposite way with 172.5s. If anyone is interested, I have a set of English BB Sram Red cranks in good condition in 175 I will trade for 172.5 or even 170s. I need them for my TT.

redbeard

by redbeard

My inseam is about 82cm and I am 1.76 tall. I rode 175's for 10+ yrs and now have the knee issues to show for it. While I cant, and wont, blame the crank length I cant help but wonder if shorter would have helped a bit. In my opinion there are horses for courses and this is true with crank length. Pedaling style will have a big impact on what feels right too.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Bit more complicated than just changing cranks.
I am 5'10 Mr. average with pretty much standard proportions. Anything from 170 to 175 which I rode before is fine.
That said, I think the range of crank lengths available does not reflect the variation in people out there.
Also, the knee is quite capable of a wider range of motion, changing length by a few mm is fine, if you change the setup on your bike. On longer cranks, I lower my saddle obviously, and slide it back a bit more as well. I prefer 175mm cranks now that way.