Compact handlebar recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Looking for compact bars for my upcoming Tarmac SL3 build.
I am currently using Ritchey classics and like the large radius bend on the tops, but want something shallower with the parabolic bend on the drops. I am thinking 125mm drop with 80mm reach. The FSA Omega's and K-Force seem like good options.
The Omega is quite heavy at 300g. Not sure I want to spend $200 on the K-Force and I am concerned about the flat tops not working for me. I once had some 3T ergonovas and just didn't like the flat top because it never seemed to be at the right angle.
I really like Ritchey bars and they are not so heavy but all their compact bars have a really short reach like 72mm.
The Evocurve looks really interesting but the drop is 131mm which is more than I want.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jdp211

by jdp211

I know the reach is a bit longer than you're looking for, but with a 10mm shorter stem, the 3T Ergosum should work, dropwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steelman

by Steelman

I am really liking my FSA compact carbon bars. Nice feel and just the right reach and drop for me. My advice is to look at a few at a local shop before you buy to insure you like the feel of whatever you go with.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Moved the topic here. Seems to make more sense. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

DeLuz wrote:The Omega is quite heavy at 300g. Not sure I want to spend $200 on the K-Force and I am concerned about the flat tops not working for me.

the entire FSA road bar range has compact bend version, From the top end Plasma to the bottom one Vero.
if you find Omega too heavy, K Force too expensive, you should look into the lower end carbon models SLK Compact and Carbon Pro Compact or the high end aluminum Wing Pro Compact.

paulnevans

by paulnevans

I have the 3T Ergonova's on my Tarmac and I have the FSA SLK Compacts on one of my other bikes. I like them both, but the SLK's the best fit me nicely and seem to soak up more of the buzz. The 3T's are super stiff.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

phallenthoul wrote:
DeLuz wrote:The Omega is quite heavy at 300g. Not sure I want to spend $200 on the K-Force and I am concerned about the flat tops not working for me.

the entire FSA road bar range has compact bend version, From the top end Plasma to the bottom one Vero.
if you find Omega too heavy, K Force too expensive, you should look into the lower end carbon models SLK Compact and Carbon Pro Compact or the high end aluminum Wing Pro Compact.

Where do you find the Carbon Pro Compact? I think I have seen it on new bikes but not by itself which makes me believe it is OEM only.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

DeLuz wrote:
phallenthoul wrote:

Where do you find the Carbon Pro Compact? I think I have seen it on new bikes but not by itself which makes me believe it is OEM only.

I've not sure about the availability..but it's on the catalogue..

KH1

by KH1

jdp211 wrote:I know the reach is a bit longer than you're looking for, but with a 10mm shorter stem, the 3T Ergosum should work, dropwise.

+1 - Great bars and should fit the bill perfectly.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

bodid

by bodid

Have you checked out the ENVE bars? I've got 3T Ergonovas and Ritchey Evolution SL's and I'm really loving the ENVE bars. Very natural is the only way I can describe them and very easy going from drops to shifter and especially when you're climbing.

grid256

by grid256

Maybe some Easton EC90 SLX3s. They're short reach, compact and don't have the flat tops. They're over $200, like most carbon bars.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

The drop on bars are quite a relative number. It depends where you like the hoods to be.

The 3T ergonova and ergosum are quite different in that respect. If you like a flat transition, the ergonova has to be angled up, the ergosum not so much. They are quite different.

So you should chose bars first where you want your shifters to be and how you like the transition from bars to hoods. This affects the actual drop quite a lot.

Personally I prefer a not too short reach with a flat transition from bars to hoods while the drops are almost level (just slightly tilted up). Syntace bars are nice for that.

You have to try out for yourself to find what works best though.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

I use the PRO Vibe 7s compact, they have a large radius bend from the tops to the hoods, and then a shallow "parabolic" curve. I don't remember the reach and drop off the top of my head, but that info is readily available online. Before the Vibe, I ran a Deda Zero100 bar which was very similar but with a sharper bend from the tops to the hoods. I like the Vibe better because there's more space for my wrists when I'm sprinting in the drops. I would say the PRO is stiffer but it's probably placebo effect.
I'm so rubbish at this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

another vote for the Easton EC90 SLX3's- I really like mine, and was lucky to find them on sale. I think list is about $249. The tops are pretty much round, not flat, and when I wrapped the bars I put the brake cables in front and the shifter cables in back, both at a slight angle from horizontal. This gives a really comfortable grip on the tops of the bars without the exaggerated shape of the flat top bars.