anyone done internal Di2 on a cervelo R3?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

williamsf1

by williamsf1

looking for advice!!!!

wanting to know what to drill or dremel!!!!

(tried search and it turned up zero)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

williamsf1 wrote:looking for advice!!!!

wanting to know what to drill or dremel!!!!

(tried search and it turned up zero)

If memory serves me right, the last time I peered down the BB of an R3, the whole BB shell was sealed off from the frame tubes?

If so, I would imagine it to be a real pain dremeling the holes though the BB shell for the cables though ... :shock:

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yeah my S2 is the same.... but there is a lot of room under the casing ( I think, hope, prey!!! ) and there is a hole there currently, just a small one....

ideas?

or others who have done it?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The frame is hollow right through. You run a cable over the aluminum bb shell inside the frame. If you take the fork off, you can run a fishing cable from the head tube all the way out the back hole of the chainstay. See my internal install on my '06 R3. I used the full internal cabling harness and mounted the battery under the bb.

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/72/50846.aspx#50846

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78933

PM for any questions!

williamsf1

by williamsf1

awesome getting there.... the S2 was pretty easy as there is so much room!!!

I am guessing you had to dremel a little bit out to get the junction box in the frame?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No jb when using full internal shimano cable, just a small rectangular join point. You fish the whole harness with the join point from the front of the bike through the open head tube (once fork is removed) and pull all the way through the frame. Use fish lines ( I use brake cables) to pull the appropriate cable end through the right hole in the frame.

glgfromys

by glgfromys

Ok GoodboyR, reading this I finally imagine how you were able to install the rectangular join point into the R3 with drilling a big hole as the one shown on Cervelo document for DI2 intslaa on S3/S2!
I own exactly the same 2006 R3 as yours. There are remaining questions before stepping to an DI2 install :
how do you manage to connect the RD cable to the junction box without pulling cables through a hole in BB area?
Same question applied for other cables.
Like you have done, I plan to install a battery in the seatpost as what is selle on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290700600796&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
Is it easy to install that way?
Thank in advance for explanation and sorry for My english, cause I'm french.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Two options:
1. Connect all cables together first, and attach fishing wires to each end and then run them through the appropriate holes. But this is difficult.
2. The easier way is as you describe. Dremel a small port in the aluminum BB shell, and use that to do the final connections. Dura Ace cabling is thicker than ultegra so this would be the way to go.

As for the internal battery, you just need to splice sufficient cable and a connector to the battery line of the harness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com