Mr. Black - 5kg Budget Build (New Pics Pg.6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Well I figure it's time to start posting pictures of my newest WW project. About a year ago I got a crazy deal on a Scott Cr1-SL at a bike swap meet. Since then I have been building spreadsheets to calculate possible build weights and try and come up with a plan to get the lightest bike within my small budget. The bike did however get put aside over the summer and mostly forgotten about since I already had a great bike to ride. Once it started getting cold outside again the project came back and now I am getting close to having all the parts so I thought I would share. The goal of the project is to be below 5.0kg with a $2.5k budget. According to some calculated values I am going to be very close to hitting both goals, but won't know until I get all the parts weighed.

I will start with some basic parts pics and update as I get more of the final parts.

M2 Racer Saddle

Syntace F99 Ti 105mm

Kestrel EMS Pro SL 42c-c
Last edited by Comanche_man on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
Current Weight Weenies:
Cannondale Evo HM (In Progress)
Cannondale CAAD 9 - 6.44kg
Cannondale CAAD 5 Track - 6.55kg
Kona Kula Supreme Mtb - 8.97kg

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

Darksid3

by Darksid3

Nice, whats the frame weigh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Well since you ask I might as well show the entire face lift the frame and fork went under. The frame is a Scott CR1-SL in 56cm.

The first sanding steps (920 grams to start)

The frame mostly nude

The repaint. I laid the paint on incredibly thin only adding 5 grams from full nude

The final weight of the frame with permanent derailleur hanger 870g.

The fork is a Scott Addict R4 cut to 250mm. Eventually I would like to get either a Look HSC5 SL or Scott Addict SL fork to save some more weight

The before

After sanding but not completely cleaned

The final weight cut and cleaned is 324.5g.

I will have some more pictures a little later
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

Raxel

by Raxel

Personally I think the aim of sub 5kg with $2.5K is extremely hard to achieve unless you already have a stockpile of WW parts.
I have rebuilt my mate's very light ruegamer frameset (720gr for frame and bearing, 230gr for fork) with very-light-but-reliable parts (950gr LW wheelset, red drivetrain, zipp crankset, ZG brakeset, extralite stem, zipp sl handlebar, i-link cables etc.) and it ended up 5kg.

Can I see your build list?

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Raxel wrote:Personally I think the aim of sub 5kg with $2.5K is extremely hard to achieve unless you already have a stockpile of WW parts.

Can I see your build list?

Oh I agree completely that it seems impossible. I guess I should really emphasize that those 2 numbers are just goals and not set in stone. I rather spend a little more money and get sub 5kg just so I can say my bike weighs that much. To give you an idea on why I think I can hit that number with very little money I will just tell you how much I paid for the items already posted. The three items in the first post all came from eBay. The M2 Racer saddle being the crown jewel, thanks to a bad item description and horrid pictures I bought that for $39 + 4 shipping, pretty ridiculous if I say. The stem cost $42 used and the bars were $55, all very good prices for the weight. The fork came from eBay also, costing me $110. The frame which I bought at a bike swap meet with headset cost me $200. It's amazing what a little cash in hand will get people to do. I am the type of person will pass on 10 great deals to get 1 insane deal, and since I have been buying parts very slowly over the past 12 months I have had plenty of time to pick and choose and pay the lowest amount.

The next picture set is of the crankest and BB which I bought here in the WW classifieds for $275 shipped.
Zipp 300 crank arms (175mm), Stronglight CT2 53/39 rings, Aluminum ring bolts, Token Ti/Carbon BB, Titanium crank bolts

The whole crankset and BB (608.5g)

I will get a build list of what I have so far when I figure out how to paste an Excel Doc.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

The postman delivered a box from our friends at Fairwheel today with some small parts.

KCNC 11t pulley wheels

New Ultimate 34.9mm seatclamp

Extralite top cap w/aluminum bolt

Extralite Ultrastar 2 expander

and the build list

I will start tuning some parts this week and post photo's
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

LiveFastRideHard

by LiveFastRideHard

Loving the storyline, just waiting for the plot to thicken!! Have had several pairs of those Reynolds KOM and for the money they cannot be beat. Kudos on the build
Felt DA(RIP), Look 595, Merlin CR Works, Calfee Tetra Pro, Moots Vamoots

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Well, I have gotten some more parts in and will be getting more stuff in the following week from eBay purchases.

BTP carbon cage (13.5g)

Aluminum cage bolts (2g)

Recon 11/23t aluminum cassette (88g)

Front Tire
Vittoria Crono Evo 290tpi (180g)

Rear Tire
Vittoria Crono Evo 290tpi (177.5g)

KCNC Ti skewers (42g)

Sadly at this point the plot has thickened as a few items have come in over claimed weight :( and sub 5.0kg may not happen, but it should be at least below 5.1kg no matter what.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Seat post modification

Since I fear for the carbon rails on my saddle I did not want to risk cracking them with the tiny contact points of a half round seat post cradle. Originally I thought to just use a Thomson lower, but the radius between the seat post and the Thomson were different, so I had to come up with a different solution. Since I cut off excess seat post, I used the excess to make a half round cradle of carbon and then bonded the rail cut from a Thomson lower and made a lightweight lower cradle that fully supports the saddle.

Omni Racer 31.6mmx350mm seat post with stock cradle

Omni Racer 31.6mm seat post cut to 290mm with stock cradle

Stock Omni Racer aluminum cradle

Stock Thomson lower cradle

And now the custom cradle
And the weight
All three lowers (Omni Racer, Thomson, Custom)

Final as Installed weight of seat post with sanded logo's
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

redbeard

by redbeard

This is fun. :popcorn:
Great job so far. Keep it coming.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

I'm confused - your picture of the stock seat post cut down to 290mm shows a weight of 126g, while your sanded and customized product shows 129.5g... Am I missing something? Everything looks great, by the way!

-Gregory

fat tire

by fat tire

The custom cradle weighed a few grams more. So that is why the weight went up a couple of grams.

The custom cradle looks amazing. Great work. I look forward to the finished product.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

Ah, I see it now. The stock was 9g and the custom was 13.5g... :smartass: Yes, it does look great! Worth a couple of grams gained from the rather scrawny lookin' stock piece. Lookin' forward to seeing more of this build. :D

-Gregory

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

This is great. True WWism spirit. Keep the pictures coming. I really do hope you are able to keep... close to the target weight!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Some more parts have arrived from various sources, so time for more pictures.

Brakes:
KCNC CB1 w/yellow Swisstops (178.5)
Needless to say, I am a little dissapointed that they are 14 grams overweight, but what are you gonna do.

Pedals:
Speedplay Zero CrMo tuned.
The pedals started as standard CrMo's, then I added aluminum butterflies and ti bolts, and yesterday evening I received my ti axles.
Stock weight (221.5g)
Stock steel butterflies (40.5g)
Aluminum butterflies with Ti hardware (13.5g)
With aluminum butterflies and ti hardware (194.5g)
Stock CrMo spindles (117.5g)
Aftermarket Ti spindles (54g) :D
Completed Zero's with Ti spindles, Ti hardware, and aluminum butterflies (130.5g)

Wheels:
Reynolds KOM Tubular
I bought these at the exact same bike swap meet that I bought the frame from, just 1 year later. Got a good deal too. :D
Stock Front (420.5g)
Stock Rear (640g)
Stock Wheelset Weight (1060.5g)

Removed Sticker Weight
Front (416.5g)
Rear (636g)

New Wheelset weight (1052.5g)

I am still waiting on some parts so updates will come as stuff arrives.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes: