Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whoopsie

by whoopsie

I built up 2 sets of 20mm tubulars- for myself and a friend. With Soul Prodigy hubs and sapim cx rays- 20h radial front and 24h radial and 2x rear the weights came in at 1020-1030 gm. After 400km on mine I am impressed with them. I weigh 75kg and they are plenty stiff for my moderate power! The hubs roll very well and the wheels only have needed a slight retension after 100km and that has been on mainly rough chip seal roads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Adamd

by Adamd

Everhard

by Everhard

Whoopsie - how did you lace the rear? I've been debating how I'm going to do mine - same wheels but they are 50mm vs 20mm. I've read my way thru this whole thread and the wheel-building thread (wow, lots to digest, and I'm sure I didn't get it all!) and after being diverted to a huge number of great pages I'm leaning towards doing a half-crow's foot/2cross (ds/nds) as that sounds like the strongest wheel I could build - and it looks good to! :)

What are peoples thought on doing that pattern? (maybe I should have posted this in the wheel-building thread...!)

Thanks,
E.

addicted

by addicted

pino76 wrote:I build a set of farsport 20 mm tubular rims and soul prodigy hubs. the front wheel was no problem at all but i had trouble with the stiffnes of the rear wheel.
I built this wheel with 288mm dt comp. (2x ds) and 288 mm dt rev. (radial nds). after the first ride i noticed a crack in the rim at the valve hole. I think this was because the rear was flexi as hell :evil: the rim is too light for rear built.
tension was 210 kg (ds) and 70 kg (nds)
I am 85 kg.... 8)

What should I do? build the rear with 38mm rim, or order a heavyer (more durable) 20 mm rim??

Do carbon rims use higher spoke tensions???
I've only ever built 'normal' wheelsets, like DA hubs and Reflex rims....
You mention a drive side tension of 210. Isn't that way over normal?? I thought normal drive side tension on a rear wheel was more like 120, and 60-70 for the drive side...
Thx

petal666

by petal666

addicted wrote:You mention a drive side tension of 210. Isn't that way over normal?? I thought normal drive side tension on a rear wheel was more like 120, and 60-70 for the drive side...
Thx

Obviously a typo.

Mackers

by Mackers

Sadly, it wasn't a typo.

petal666

by petal666

Ah yes, the Soul Prodigy hubs require a 3:1 spoke tension ratio

khaostik

by khaostik

Is it really true that the soul hubs require a 3:1 tension ratio?
Can this be modified with heads out or different lacing patterns? What tension ratio would be achieved?

What tension in the DS and NDS were used in the presented builds?

Best regards,

Filipe Dias

icepl

by icepl

Where do you guys buy Archtek rims?

On ebay?

Berg

by Berg

No, direct from Archteks: http://archteks.en.alibaba.com/
Just ordered 6 rims from them.

I don't think their rims are sold on Ebay.

:)

chadoo

by chadoo

Hi guys, this thread has been one of the most interesting I have read. I come from BF and I really got interested. I was thinking about making a 20mm/38mm wheelset with the suggested Soul Prodigy Hubs and probably DT Swiss aerolite spokes. Unfortunately many of the rims don't come with a minimum order of one. I was looking at this 215g rim: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/33933 ... bular.html and this 38mm 280 (or 330g?) rim: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/38040 ... e_rim.html

Using the middle ground for the 38mm rim, it would be
20mm 38mm hub spokes nipples
215 + 305 + 288 + 158 + 11 = 977g

I was thinking a 16/20 hole pattern because I weight 135 now, so I'm not too worried about stiffness.

Anyone else do something similar?

Thanks for the thread, -- Chad

Chiva

by Chiva

So I've done a few races on my 20 mm carbon tubulars w/ Soul prodigy V3 hubs. Total wheelset was about 1000 grams. My scott addict SL w/ pedals, bottle cages, and power tap wired setup (no hub, just wire sensor and computer) weighed 14.06 lbs. These wheels have vittoria 320 tpi 23 mm tires on them. My thoughts are that these wheels are great. Plenty stiff, good braking, roll true. For $600 this is an amazing wheelset. They just float up the hills. Anyway, I have another set coming in soon, but this time I got the 50 mm carbon tubulars. Also bought the bikehubstore.com hubs for $100. They seem almost the same as the soul prodigy V3 for $150 less! Anyway, I'm excited to get these new wheels b/c I want to use them for Tour of the Gila. Maybe the first day I'll use the 20 mm tubies, but for the second day and the crit I'll use the 50 mm tubies. Great wheels for a great price. I'll post a picture of the wheels later. They look the same as Ted's who has posted extensively on this subject.

Chiva

woz9683

by woz9683

@ Chiva, as in Gila Wilderness? I was there backpacking in December. I saw the road going to and from the Cliff Dwellings marked up as if for a race. That would be an awesome road for a race!!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Chiva,

What cat are you racing in at Gila? I'll be there too.

jrdm91

by jrdm91

Hey guys im looking to build my first deep dish aerowheels...id like for them to be as light weight as possible...im look at around a 66mm rim...i work at my LBS so i get taken care of for DT Swiss/Chris King hubs, as a rookie thats all i know, can you make suggestions please where i can find a quality, lightweight aero carbon hoop?

and please leave your suggestion for spokes and hubs...

thank you very much for all your help

Ride Hard

jrdm91

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com