Campy 11 rear mech on a 10 speed system anyone tried it??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lig

by Lig

As the title suggests, will this work? As the indexing is in the lever, I think the only issue will be with chain width. I am thinking of trying putting 10 speed jockywheels on and then this may give it the width for a 10 speed chain. Anyone tried this??? (I have done a search but cant find anything)....

Any input gratefully received....

Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hrailone

by hrailone

I'm currently using Super Record 11 speed rear, front derailleurs and crankset with 10 speed Record ergo shifters and 10 speed Record cassettes.
It works even better than original Record 10, anyways I'm also using KMC X11 SL chain, haven't tried with a 10 speed chain but I think it sould work fine too.

Cheers !!

Lig

by Lig

Thanks Hrailone,

Thats just the answer I was after.... I have Zipp cranks so I think I will have to stick with a 10 speed chain.... but at least now I know the 11 rear mech / 10 levers combo works...

Cheers,
Lig.

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Quick answer is YES.

Matter of fact 2011 Chorus shifters mated to Record 11 will give you new style hood and lever ergonomics wiith 10 speed function.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

You mean centaur ??? Don't you. Chorus is 11 sp.

DaveS

by DaveS

The fact is that the 11 speed RD has a slightly greater actuation ratio, but a small amount of overshifting is rarely noticeable. The opposite setup, using a 10 speed RD with 11 speed, can benefit from a little modification to the cable clamp bolt, to increase the actuation ratio.

Lig

by Lig

Hi guys,

Just to complete a thread........ It worked a treat...

So to confirm...

10 speed chainset
10 Speed record shifters
10 Speed record chain
10 Speed record front mech
11 Speed Super Record rear mech..

All works superbly.. maybe even better than the 10 speed rear mech!!

Cheers,
Lig.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I thought actuation ratio is to do with the unit of cable moved in the shifter and that moved in the derailleur? i.e. there isn't a change in Campagnolo's actuation ratio between 10 & 11 speed versions is there?

amphibiousdad

by amphibiousdad

1990's Italian steel bike:

All Record (well used)-
10 speed early ergo shifters-
10 speed double crank (non-carbon)-
10 speed chain (non-narrow)-
10 speed cassette (11-25)-
10 speed front derailleur (non-carbon)-
Spanking new 11 speed short cage rear derailleur-

Works fantastic! I'll see at 1000+ miles but so far better than the 10 speed rear mech. Couldn't find a good deal on the "super record" + the "record" 11 speed looked better on the ride. No changing chains, pulleys, cables, spacers or hair styles.

In addition, at least currently you'll find a new record 11 speed rear derailleur can be appropriated cheaper than a used 10 speed record rear! Don't ask me why but got my 11 speed new off the bay for about a hundo less than the new, or is it new old stock now, 10's. Save $, get it new, looks better, shift's better a complete win. Don't believe the marketing crew at Campy 100%. Cheers all! :beerchug: :beerchug:

ellipsesx

by ellipsesx

I use : 10 sp Record 2006 shifters
10 sp durace 10-23 cassette
10 sp KMC sl chain
Record compact crank
11 sp SR Record rd 2010

and all works great,never got probs.

Ricardo

by Ricardo

My Ride:
LOOK 585 with:

Record 10 ergolevers, cranks, cassette and chain

SR2011 Rear + front derailleurs and brakes.

I agree with other posts. The SR rear mech works better than the 10speed!

M_b•

by M_b•

this is great! I've needed a new rd and didn't want to pay for a 10s knowing that soon enough I would upgrade to 11. So if I run 10s record shifters, a 11s super record (or record) crank, what chain should I use? Can I use a 10s kmc chain with the crank and 10s rd? Should I continue to use the 10s chain if I decide to upgrade to the 11s rd?

Please enlighten me on the possibilities... I am assuming the most important part of the 11s chain is it's mating with the 11s cog, so am I right to assume that regardless of crank and derailleur, a 10s chain should be used with a 10s cog???

erickB

by erickB

and what about using 10 speed shifter, chain, cassette with a 9 speed RD? all campagnolo....

hrailone

by hrailone

You can use both the 11 or 10 speed chains with 11 rerar derailleur.
In the case of the KMC X11 SL chain the inside spacing between the links hasn't changed, only the outer plates are thinner, I have both the 10 and 11 chains at home. Although I recommend you to use the 11 speed chain because the 10 speed one can rub a little in the 11 speed rear mech's inner plate (anyways I also used a 10 speed chain before changing to the 11 chain and worked fine).
I have two bikes with 10 speed cassettes and shifters and in both cases I'm using the KMC 11 chain without Issues.
Also in both bikes I'm using the Super Record 11 (2011) rear mech and works perfectly.

Cheers !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Lig wrote:Hi guys,

Just to complete a thread........ It worked a treat...

So to confirm...

10 speed chainset
10 Speed record shifters
10 Speed record chain
10 Speed record front mech
11 Speed Super Record rear mech..

All works superbly.. maybe even better than the 10 speed rear mech!!

This is great news :beerchug:

I run the full 2008 Record 10spd gruppo on my bike but I really want the all-black, mostly-carbon, 2011 Record 11spd rear derailleur. According to all of the posts in this thread it should work like a charm!

The standard short-cage 11spd Record model should be able to handle a top cog as large as 26T, right?

Should I consider changing the chain or pulley wheels at the same time? I run a KMC X10SL or a Campagnolo Record 10spd version chain.