2011 Tarmac S-WORKS SL3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Hi, everybody, this is an old post- new post with a weight loss. Some heavier components will be swapped to reduce weight and to simplify the color scheme on my 2011 Saxo Bank Tarmac S-Works.

First step is to do something with the wheels. Saved about 80g :D so far by using Velocity Plugs on my Dura Ace clinchers (WH7850C24) instead of rim tape, replaced tubes with Continental Supersonics, these are actually 60mm valve that I have tried to sell but nobody has bought them. They weigh about 55g! I've heard that they don't last, we'll see.

Rim Tape Image Velocity Plugs Image
Supersonic tube Image

Before Image and after Image

6.48kg includes one bottle cage, pedals, and computer. The saddle is now Fizik Arione CX Carbon as you can see. It's about 20g more than the SLR Fibra Carbon rail (145g) that I had before :( . The seatpost is the same White Deda Superzero except I took the paint off and cut the length to the minimum to save weight. We'll get to that in the future. There is more to come :wink: .
Last edited by wcntan80 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

How were you able to get the rim strips off? I've tried tire levers and a variety of other implements, but the strips are so tight that the only way to remove them appears to be cutting them.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

hmai18 wrote:How were you able to get the rim strips off? I've tried tire levers and a variety of other implements, but the strips are so tight that the only way to remove them appears to be cutting them.

A pair of scissors to poke through a hole then cut across. Shimano has done a great job putting rim tape on these rims. I was reluctant to take them off. But Hell, I wanna lose weight! :lol:

hmai18

by hmai18

I wonder if my red veloplugs will fit. Otherwise, I'll have to go buy a new bag of yellow ones...

RoadManiac

by RoadManiac

wcntan80 wrote:
6.48kg includes one bottle cage, pedals, and computer. The saddle is now Fizik Arione CX Carbon as you can see. It's about 20g more than the SLR Fibra Carbon rail (145g) that I had before :( . The seatpost is the same White Deda Superzero except I took the paint off and cut the length to the minimum to save weight. We'll get to that in the future. There is more to come :wink: .

Severe 6,48 kg,please picture the whole bike. :P
One death is a tragedy- a million death is statistic.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

My aim is 6.3kg or lower. Still waiting for some components to arrive, I'll take some pictures after I've done the swap. Otherwise, it's the same bike as the old post.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Hi everybody, just realized that what I've done with the Velo Yellow Plugs and Supersonic tubes is the most weight saved for the least amount of dollar spent :D !

Front wheel w/rim tape and KCNC skewer:Image
w/ Velo plugs:Image

w/Plugs,Supersonic tube,skewer & Veloflex:Image
Before:Image

I'm not going to show the rear wheel but you get the idea :) . Still waiting for one more part in the mail. Should be able to do some component swap this coming week. Hopefully.
Last edited by wcntan80 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Still in the process of losing some weight on my bike. Got some components and would like to show them as some of you might like to know the difference :) .

Out:Image In:Image

Also replaced the KCNC skewers with these "no frill" skewers, but actually has gained 0.3g! I think the "no frill" looks pretty good. The same old chain will stay since there is no better chain around and it's quite new.
Image Image Image

I am getting very close to putting all these together..... "Time is on my side." :wink:

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

better take new wheels ( the shimano wheels dont worth a euro) :D
πατα τραβα ρε

rico

by rico

The 7850s are some of the best clinchers around in my experience. Look forward to seeing the full build.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

These wheels have about 200 miles before they get "plugged". They ride great and I think the build quality is also solid. Since they are lighter now I'll like them even more! The only thing bothers me is the noise from the rear hub, goes "tick, tick, tick, tick, tick....." :lol: Then my 9yr old daughter says,"that's cool! Dad."

These Dura Ace wheels are not that cheap (to me) here in the US. I got lucked out on an eBay bid for around $850 I think, but that was months ago. At that time all retailers wanted $1100-1300 for them!

Next thing coming to this post will be a tuned Deda Superzero seatpost, then I should be able to take some pictures. I'm still wishy-washy about the color scheme between the bar tape and saddle. May be some of you can give me some ideas. Thanks.

hmai18

by hmai18

I scored my C24s for about $600 after shipping from the US via eBay. I only got one short ride on them before the winter weather closed in, but have them veloplugged with a strip of electrical tape for good measure and am anxiously awaiting spring.

Chainreactioncycles had the 7850s for about $700 US shipped before they were discontinued, but have now moved onto the 7950s for $795.

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Thank you, hmai18. Great price shipped all the way from UK :o ! Great site!

wcntan80

by wcntan80

So this white Deda Superzero seatpost which I always have will get a little surgery. I have to say that despite the actual weight of 194.1g (advertised as 166g), this post is damn well made. Just to get rid of the white paint job already took me some effort (applied a layer of paint stripper many times plus scraping). Did the same to the wet white wcs 4axis (Ritchey), it was a piece of cake. A whole layer of paint just came off like a tortilla crepe!

Then the post was shortened by about 2 1/2 inches to the minimum inserting point. That part was 14g.

The original hardware weighs 77.2g but was replaced by hardware that weighs only 25.9g.
Image Image

The total surgery took off about 65.3g. My Deda Superzero post now weighs 128.8g.

I think I'm done messing around, Just gotta find some time to put all the sh*t together. Thanks guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

Hi,

What paint stripper did you use?

-USofChay