Going light on a budget with chinese frame

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

caseycycling

by caseycycling

plasticol wrote::beerchug: Great frame, looks nice, been thinking in getting exactly the same frame from carbonzone.
Can you be more detail in your ride description, you said is planty stiif, how about climbing, decending and how is the road shock absortion?
Also, this may be a dumb question but, how do you feel about the safety of this product, in therms of carbon strength and durability?
I know most big companies are building in China, but is carbonzone holding to the same construction standars as, less say Specalized, Cannondale, etc.?
Any info greatly appreciated before I order in the next couple of days. Thanks.

Thanks, and to your questions I really have no idea about the constrution standards of these overseas frames. I researched alot before buying mine and really opinions are all over the place. Alot of high end frames are produced in the same factories as frames like this but that does not mean they are held to the same safety standard. Out of the box my frame looked really nice no blemishes. I have between 2500-3000km on it at the end of last year and I have had no problems. It climbs great, very stiff with great power transfer. It also feels good decending, I am not the fastest downhill but it is definately stable for as fast as I can go. I feel comfortable on it going 70-75km down a mountain. For the money its a hard frame to beat. Hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caseycycling

by caseycycling

A few more parts have rolled in so here are the pictures. The speedplay inserts and spindles fit very good have not got to use them yet. I am thinking about getting some carbon handle bars and cant decide what I want. I would like to stay under $200 and shoot for as close to 200grams as possible, I have looked at the velocite bars that are around 180grams and like them. Any suggestions would be welcome. thanks

old inserts 36grams

new inserts 10grams, nice little 26gram savings

new ti spindles 54grams

taking the pedals to 133 grams which is a 122gram savings over my old look keo sprint pedals, plus they were fun to play with

also got a little top cap and bolt 6grams

majklnajt

by majklnajt

What is your center of BB to top of the sadlle height?
Thanks!

caseycycling

by caseycycling

From center of BB to seat is right at 78.5cm/30.75in, thanks for the interest.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

Hey Casey,

I really like the fact that you went with a budget frame to get the job done on your steed. I'm currently riding an alloy frame that I don't enjoy very much and have been researching low-dollar carbon frames for a possible replacement. I happened across Carbonzone's frames on Ebay several times in the past, but this is the first review and build I've seen. Seeing what you've done with this and reading about your confidence has inspired me to rip apart my bike, sell my alloy frame for some funds and pick up one of these frames. Previously I rode a 58cm Trek Madone (performance fit) and really enjoyed the ergonomics. What size frame do you have? It seems like we're a similar size. I'm 6' tall and 165 pounds with a 32" inseam. Some higher quality pictures of the finish on your frame and details of the cable routing (both internal and external) components would be very appreciated. Cheers!

-Gregory

liam7020

by liam7020

wisgliebau wrote:Hey Casey,

I really like the fact that you went with a budget frame to get the job done on your steed. I'm currently riding an alloy frame that I don't enjoy very much and have been researching low-dollar carbon frames for a possible replacement. I happened across Carbonzone's frames on Ebay several times in the past, but this is the first review and build I've seen. Seeing what you've done with this and reading about your confidence has inspired me to rip apart my bike, sell my alloy frame for some funds and pick up one of these frames. Previously I rode a 58cm Trek Madone (performance fit) and really enjoyed the ergonomics. What size frame do you have? It seems like we're a similar size. I'm 6' tall and 165 pounds with a 32" inseam. Some higher quality pictures of the finish on your frame and details of the cable routing (both internal and external) components would be very appreciated. Cheers!

-Gregory

Gregory
I bought this frame and wheelset recently from carbonzone on ebay. Its their R003 model and I must say I'm extremely well pleased with both frame and wheels. Delivery from China to Ireland was just over a week for both items which were purchased about a month apart. The bike as pictured weighs 15.85lbs. My measurements are very similar to yours and this is 55cm frame. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

caseycycling

by caseycycling

@wisgliebau I will take some pictures of the cable routing and finish for you, should have time tomorrow. The finish on my bike is pretty much perfect but it is flat black so that helps, the pictures of the 3k and 12k finish bikes I have saw all look good though. And coming from a alloy bike to a frame like this you should definately enjoy how much stiffer it is. Power transfer just feels so much better. Oh and my frame is a 56cm, I have rode a 56 and 58 and for me I like the 56cm a better. I am a full 6ft and down around 160lbs. My inseam from floor to actual part that sits on the seat is 34.5in. Hope that helps

@liam7020 how do you like the wheels? I had considered getting some, had talked to echo via email about maybe mixing a 88mm rear and 68mm front for some aero wheels to play with but havent decided yet. Any idea on what the weight is of yours? and by chance would you have a picture of them on a scale? I saw the weights they had listed but the way they had it worded I couldnt figure out if they were including the skewers in the final weight. Thx

liam7020

by liam7020

caseycycling wrote:@wisgliebau I will take some pictures of the cable routing and finish for you, should have time tomorrow. The finish on my bike is pretty much perfect but it is flat black so that helps, the pictures of the 3k and 12k finish bikes I have saw all look good though. And coming from a alloy bike to a frame like this you should definately enjoy how much stiffer it is. Power transfer just feels so much better. Oh and my frame is a 56cm, I have rode a 56 and 58 and for me I like the 56cm a better. I am a full 6ft and down around 160lbs. My inseam from floor to actual part that sits on the seat is 34.5in. Hope that helps

@liam7020 how do you like the wheels? I had considered getting some, had talked to echo via email about maybe mixing a 88mm rear and 68mm front for some aero wheels to play with but havent decided yet. Any idea on what the weight is of yours? and by chance would you have a picture of them on a scale? I saw the weights they had listed but the way they had it worded I couldnt figure out if they were including the skewers in the final weight. Thx

The wheels are 38mm tubular and I also dealt with Echo who is very efficient. I'm pleased with the quality of the wheels. The only issue I had was that both wheels needed to be slightly re-dished but this is not uncommon with machine built wheels. I have a number of years wheel building experience so it was a relatively straightforward task. The hubs are Novatech and whilst they may not be as good a quality as say DT or Tune they certainly are extremely free running and smooth. I spoke to Echo about the weights listed on their ebay site and he confirmed that these figures include the skewers. I weighed the wheels on a fully calibrated scientific balance and the weight of the wheels WITHOUT skewers was 1359g, which is slightly higher than stated but still fairly respectable given the price. The skewers weigh 105g which is exactly as claimed, although I replaced the supplied skewers with a pair of Tune DC14. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the wheels on the balance but I've attached a few general snaps. Hope this helps.

Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

caseycycling

by caseycycling

@liam7020 thanks for the info, that was exactly what i was wanting to know. I figured the wheels would be a little heavier than what they had listed. I cant decide which wheels I would like to get. I orginally thought about 68/88 combo for aero, but I rarely get to ride anywhere flat, so I might go with the 20mm just to play with when I do some climbing, but thanks again for the info.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

@wisgliebau here is a couple of pictures of the cable routing as you asked, you can kind of see the finish too, but the bike is very dirty I got out and rode in the melting snow, but hope these help

front of top tube rear brake internal routing

view from over top tube at back where rear brake comes back out

and just the two clips on the bottom of the downtube and please forgive the dirtyness, did not realise it was this bad till I looked at the picture

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Just updating with a few new parts.

New Zipp Sl bars short and shallow, really happy with the weight =168 grams

Also I bought a set of Mavic R-sys premium wheels from another WW on here. I know, I know they will probably explode like every other set out there. But until they do I will say they are now my favortie clincher wheels. Super stiff, and they weighed in at 590grams for the front and 790grams for the rear making them 1380 grams for they pair.

Besides new bar tape and hoods which are on the way. I think I am done for now except a Tune seat mast if I can find one in black.

globalsunset

by globalsunset

Definitely looks worth the price! Nice looking bike, sure it hauls too..
Zipp bars should be a nice addition!

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Is this the eHongFu FM0015-SPL? Looks kind of like it, would you mind commenting some more reports now with some extended time on the bike? Seriously considering doing a similar purchase with that frame, but just moving over my components.

Looks great BTW.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

@Littlesprinter I think this frame is a FM028-ISP, but I purchased mine on ebay from the sellar carbonzone so I am not 100% sure about that number. But as far as a ride report, I really on have good things to say about the frame, put right at 1,000 miles in this year between all the snow and shitty weather we have had. I am really impressed with its stiffness, I am between 165-170lbs at 6ft tall. Power transfer feels great, especially with the r-sys premium wheels i have on now. For the price I think the frame is very hard to beat. The finish and just overall quality suprised me, with how good they were.

Only downsides for me are
1. frame is not super light, I am not really complaining just saying they claim 1050g which is probably about right for a 50cm bike
2. the seat mast they include is a boat anchor , the one Tune makes saves around 90grams I think
3. Although my purchase went smoothly with fast responses and fast shipping, you can always run into problems buying from taiwan.

Overall though besides wishing it was lighter, I have no complaints and would recommend the frame. There are getting to be a few of these frames on ww and I have not read anyone saying they have had anykind of problem.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I have got in just a couple of rides with the new Zipp SL bars, and really like them, they are stiff. I like the short and shallow drop it fits me well. On my first ride I noticed a significant difference in there stiffness compared to my old aluminum bars. Now does that make me any faster probably not, but I prefer super stiff parts plus I enjoyed the almost 100gram weight saving over my old bars. I had been thinking about getting a set of light carbon handlebars since last year but never pulled the trigger on it, but when i saw these on sell from excelsports I just couldnt pass them up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com