AX Morpheus Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

julight wrote:for those interested :
the bike is 5.4 kg
reynolds RZR wheelset with conti comp tubes 19 mm
recon 10s alloy cassette
kmc 10 sl chain
sram red shifts and derailleurs
pro vibe carbon stem
zipp sl bars
m2racer seatpost
selle italia C64 saddle
lotz carbon seat collar
vista magic X pedals
extralite 50 chainring painted in black
stronglight ct2 38 chainring
ax perseus brakes
new ultimate bottle holders

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Does anyone know if a TMH or Lightening, or Zipp BB30 adaptor will work for the Morpheus crankset?

I was told that this might work. It all depends on the measurments etc...

I have a Morpheus crankset and it is installed on my Parlee currently so I plan on removing it soon so I can (with the help of a knowledgeable LBS) see if it will work.

The reason I ask is because I have recieved a couple of emails from AX (not from Nils, I can't seem to get in contact with him) stating they do NOT offer a BB30 kit for their crankset. And that I should check with THM. (I don't know if they mean use a THM or the THM BB30 will work. :noidea:

I am a little confused, but there is nothing I can do if they say there isn't one.

I was told by a knowedgeable online bike boutique owner that perhaps the THM, Lightening, or Zipp might have the appropriate dimentions.
And the fact that the AX employee mentioned the THM BB30 makes me wonder if it is true (that it will work). :noidea:

Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

THM BB30 adaptor with Clavicula does not work on BB30 Z1, I can tell you this much..
rolobikes

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I would be really surprised if the THM bb30 bb did not work with the Ax cranks. Once you pull your cranks measure your cups installed in a threaded frame from outside to outside. If it's around 84.5mm it should work.

As Andy mentioned though, if it's for a Parlee that may be another issue. They don't recommend most bb30 adapters for their frames. However having said that I did use the THM bb30 in a Z5 with good success last year.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Madcow,

The THM BB30 kit (with the AX crank) would be used on another frame not my parlee. But how come Parlee dosen't reccomend BB30 for their frames, if they are a BB30 frame.

Like a Z5 or Z5 sl?

For example: they don't want you to use a THM Clavicula (with BB30 adaptor) for a 2010 Parlee Z5?

Am I missunderstanding? I hope so.

Please help.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I was told by Nils that they are making a true bb30 Morpheus. I've been on the waitlist since the summer. It was pushed back a few times and was finally supposed to be released in December. That didn't happen. I can't get in touch with Nils either. Not since the end of November. I'd love to know what's going on. I desperately want the 42 rims and Morpheus. No one can seem to get either :(

carbon2329

by carbon2329

So does anyone know, for sure, if the THM BB30 adapter will work on the Morpheus crankset.

When I get to measure mine, I will report, as well.

sedluk

by sedluk

Can the Morpheus crank be used on a Cervelo with BBright with the SRAM cups, or some other cups?

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

carbon2329 wrote:So does anyone know, for sure, if the THM BB30 adapter will work on the Morpheus crankset.

I may be wrong but I get the impression that all that an adapter does is fill up the axle length on a BB30 axle thats designed to fit in a conventional shell because the axle is longer to facilitate the outboard bearings. Otherwise everything is the same, axle width and the way it fixes on, ie with the wave washers etc. If you are already running a BB30 crankset you have everything you need other than than the spacers which a forum member believes are the same or pretty damn close to the internal diameter of ahead spacers, I'm not sure of the width that is needed though? I plan to do this to fit a Vuma on a BB30 frameset. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or does this sound correct? I would imagine Morpheus, Vuma etc would be the same as they would use the same type of BB30 outboard bearing standard?

Update - I just tried some 1 1/8 carbon headset spacers and they will need the internal surface sanded or dremeled out to fit, not a huge amount though.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

gumgardner

by gumgardner

carbon2329 wrote:So does anyone know, for sure, if the THM BB30 adapter will work on the Morpheus crankset.

So does it work? I'm getting tired of waiting for the bb30 press-fit Morpheus. Nils no longer answers anything. :noidea: I get this image of Nils being locked in a cellar by Axel, with no human contact. :D

cmh

by cmh

Mine finally showed up btw...very nice...good finish and BB seems terrific.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Finally got a response from AX (Melanie). She said by the end of March. Hopefully it won't be pushed back again.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Did she say which year?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

LOL she did 2011 :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

cmh wrote:Mine finally showed up btw...very nice...good finish and BB seems terrific.

Really striking against the Ti frame... That's not your Moots, though, is it?