CX wheelset help

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm trying to figure out what to do for wheels for my CX bike. I was looking into the following:
HED Belgian C2
King Classics (32 f/r)
Sapim Race spokes
Brass nipples

I use my cross bike for some road rides, mountain bike trails and I just did a cross race for the first time this past week. If I hadn't trashed the stock wheels I'd keep them and get the C4 CX tubular wheelset, but I'd rather not have to deal with tubulars all the time :| Any input is appreciated :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcarr810

by mcarr810

I like the Mavic Crossmax wheels myself. I'm 200lbs and they're darn near bulletproof

tonytourist

by tonytourist

For a cross bike? I have a set of Crossmax SLRs for my mountain bike :beerchug:

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Any other recommendations?
:up:

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Tony, you're looking for clincher rims, yes?

Velocity a23 will get you a wide strong rim, just like the hed c2's.

I would also consider DA hubs instead of the king hubs. Cup and cone bearings are great on the cx bike because you can tear down, clean, and lube up quickly to bring them back to silky spinning!

32/32 is probably overkill. If you weigh enough to need a 32 front, then you probably need a 36 rear! 28/32 is bombproof for almost everyone!

If you decide tubular is worth the hassle, the velocity major tom rims are what I'd put on there!

Have fun with the build!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Yeah, I'd like a clincher rim for the moment. I was wondering about the spokes, I would rather have a setup that is overkill instead of having a setup that is too flimsy. (I'm 80-82 kg) If I went with 28/32 I could also go with an Alchemy ELF/ORC combo, which is something I was thinking about too, although weight really isn't an issue with this build. I'll look into the Shimano/Velocity setup too. Thanks for the help! I'm going to see if my friend at the lbs can fix my stock rear wheel, if so I might look into some tubulars.

crossrider

by crossrider

Have you thought about hope hubs?

7speedbandit

by 7speedbandit

I second the recommendation for Shimano hubs. Parts are readily available and they are fairly easy to teardown and built up.

mcarr810

by mcarr810

King Hubs + Stans Rims = BULLETPROOF

vcnz

by vcnz

I would go for DA hubs anyway.
Buy them and forget them. There would be something nicer, lighter etc. than DA hubs, but in terms of reliability and longevity they are number 1 !!

rockdude

by rockdude

kinlin XR 270 and Kings is what I would get.... I have had great results from both.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

PinnacleWheelWorks

by PinnacleWheelWorks

tonytourist wrote:Yeah, I'd like a clincher rim for the moment. I was wondering about the spokes, I would rather have a setup that is overkill instead of having a setup that is too flimsy. (I'm 80-82 kg) If I went with 28/32 I could also go with an Alchemy ELF/ORC combo, which is something I was thinking about too, although weight really isn't an issue with this build. I'll look into the Shimano/Velocity setup too. Thanks for the help! I'm going to see if my friend at the lbs can fix my stock rear wheel, if so I might look into some tubulars.

If you rather have overkill 28/32 with Competition Spokes, and Velocity A23, HED C2, C-4 V22 rims would be just fine. If you go the tubular route the Major Tom as mentioned is a great rim. As well as the Kinlin TB-25, or HED C2 tubular.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

That's pretty much what I got. Hed C2s, DT Comps, 28/32 King Classics :beerchug:
They're SOLID! 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinnacleWheelWorks

by PinnacleWheelWorks

Nice, that will be a great wheelset.