Knee Problems

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bruiser

by Bruiser

How many members have had knee problems, and how do they manage their problem?

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okr

by okr

ITBS - Hard to get well, takes a lot of time. Physical therapy, stretching, resting, stretching, Omega 3, more stretching...

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I have an ITB problem, try hot baths.
Omega 3?

Brian

okr

by okr

Increased intake of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA) makes the eicosanoids(don`t know if they`re called this in english) less functional. Eicosanoids are the basis for prostaglandines(not sure about this one either) and they are the ones giving inflammations.

okr

by okr

I hope that I`m completely healed..Haven`t had any problems since sept/oct..Haven`t tried to run though..not gonna try for some years either, running is no good for cyclists anyhow.. :wink:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

yep had some!

I'd got a lose piece of cartilage going mad in my knee. One knee surgery and about 2 months recovery later I got to ride my bike again. Still not eager to run on it though. But i haven't had any problems scince!

Taking hot baths just takes the pain away. you better get it looked at. And okr, what does the extra intake of fat help?

Good luck with the knees! :D
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

okr

by okr

ohh..sorry, bad formulation. Not more in total, but more Omega-3, less Omega-6...

KB

by KB

You do not specify what kind of problem it is. One of the common problems for bikies is tendinitis. Usually the cause of this is pushing high gears. If it's a cartilage problem then the knee usually locks at some time, but can be solved with keyhole surgery.

An orthopaedic surgeon or physiotherapist will soon give you the lowdown.

tobias

by tobias

yeeeahh, i´m really into knee problems. but that´s acually
why i switched from running to duathlon.
the first year i experimented a lot with my position.
gladly i found a 80% painless one sitting a2cm too low on
a too low frame...but it works.
if it´s not too cold (blistering cold hurts a lot outside) i´m able to run twice a week now! :lol: that´s ok for me.
wish your knees all the best out there...
nothing.

Guy_With_A_Bike

by Guy_With_A_Bike

tore my acl last year, not fun!!!
Wanna race?

stuka666

by stuka666

Changed to time x-presso and lowered the saddle.. got much better. Still hurts from time to time.

Had surgery on both knees, scars are good for the women.. no? :D

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Bruiser wrote:How many members have had knee problems, and how do they manage their problem?

Brian

Knee problems here too. How to manage is totally dependent on type of problem though. As others have mentioned above, it could be stretching/strengthening/rehab or if function is otherwise good, it could be a bike fit issue. Look for wobbly knees, pelvic rocking, etc...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Guy_With_A_Bike wrote:tore my acl last year, not fun!!!

been there done that.. add MCL at the same time and 80% of my meniscus...

ICE is your friend.. compression too.. Cycling is generally not an issue for me, but the times I've tried to run equals no fun. I kept the Ice machine (GameReady 2.1) from my knee surgery rehab... and it does help on the bad days.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mgoles

by mgoles

I have problem with quad tendon... i feel stiffnes n knee few days after hard session, but when i warm up I dont feel a thing while riding??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Torn ACL too, with slow rehab caused by a bleeding in the leg (tried to start my own rehabilitation at Day +3 post-op) that caused some crazy pain during two weeks when standing up.

After a decent rehab, torn a meniscus (ruptured in two directions) which caused some pain and leaded to another muscle loss. Did not get surgery as my knee doesn't get locked, so it's just a matter of not putting too much pressure/strength on the knee. For that matter, cycling is good.

Went back to exercise and 6 months later, torn a meniscus in the other knee... but minor lesion so no surgery either.

I can run 30 minutes without getting inflammation/pain/swollen, so I do that and bodyweight squats/pilates/yoga and a lot of stretching and it seems I'm fine.

It seems the more I exercise and stretch, the best my knees feel so it is the way to go. No football, no basket ball, no tennis though which saddens me but hey, cycling is best.

I'm preparing for the alpine ski period now, should be okay if I don't get too confident