Lightest Parts for Roadbike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2010TrekMadone

by 2010TrekMadone

Hi, I have a couple of questions.

1. As of early 2011, what is the lightest saddle (for roadbike)? I heard that the CX-Zero is the lightest. Is it true?
2. As of early 2011, what is the lightest handlebar (for roadbike)? I heard that the 2010 3T Ergonova LTD Carbon
3. As of early 2011, what is the lightest wheelset (for roadbike) (please give the weight as a pair)? Is it Bontrager XXX Lite or Lightweights?
4. As of early 2011, what is the lightest stem (for roadbike)?
5. As of early 2011, what is the lightest pedal (for roadbike) (please give the weight as a pair)? Is it the Blade?
6. As of early 2011, what is the lightest shoe (for roadbike)?
7. As of early 2011, what is the lightest helmet (for roadbike)? Are the Pro Lites still the lightest?
8. As of early 2011, what is the lightest gruppo? I heard it was Sram Reds. I also heard Sram is going to introduce new Reds later this year. Is this true?
9. As of early 2011, what is the lightest water cage (for roadbike)?

For each question, please list all the answers with the model/brand/and weight in grams. Thanks so much! Sorry for asking too much. I want all of you to know that your feedback is much appreciated :D.
Rockin the Madone with a Madone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Welcome to Weight Weenies, I could tell you to read the forums as they would give you the information you need. I opt to answer the first five of your questions though.
1. As of early 2011, what is the lightest saddle (for roadbike)? I heard that the CX-Zero is the lightest. Is it true?
2. As of early 2011, what is the lightest handlebar (for roadbike)? I heard that the 2010 3T Ergonova LTD Carbon
3. As of early 2011, what is the lightest wheelset (for roadbike) (please give the weight as a pair)? Is it Bontrager XXX Lite or Lightweights?
4. As of early 2011, what is the lightest stem (for roadbike)?
5. As of early 2011, what is the lightest pedal (for roadbike) (please give the weight as a pair)? Is it the Blade?

1. The lightest saddle is around 70 grams and is either made by Becker carbon or by AX lightness. Make sure you pick the one that suits you best. the CX zero is definitely not the lightest around.
2. This depends on what bar clamp diameter you prefer. if 26 then go to AX Lightness if 31.8 then the Schmolke carbon @ 160 grams would be your choice.
3. This would be AX lightness rims with superlight hubs and light spokes.
4. This again depends on the clamp diameter. If 26mm go AX lightness, if 31.8 I think that Extralite would be the stem of choice.
5. This would be the Aerolite pedal. most people choose a set of tuned Speedplays as the earlier mentioned pedals don't offer any float.

Good luck with your build!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jerms

by jerms

2010TrekMadone wrote:1. As of early 2011, what is the lightest saddle (for roadbike)?

AX1000 at 55g

http://www.ax-lightness.de/xist4c/web/A ... _2860_.htm

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

8. Campagnolo SR11 Ti

marcusp

by marcusp

Lightest helmet? Giro Prolight I think. My M is 165g.
Lightest shoe? Bont or Mavic Huez I think.
Good luck with it but I wouldn't have thought that the best way to build a bike was to choose the lightest of everything, event though this is WW!!
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

theremery

by theremery

Water bottle cages are the Tune skyline wassertragers (the aramid ones are 4.5g each).
Re wheels, you can get wheels that are less than 2/3 the weight of the bontragers. AX lightness rims, Extralite SX rear hub (or a tune mag90 if you can talk Uli Fahl into selling you one!), m5 front hub (or a dash carbon one is a nice option) and Pillar pst x-tra-lite spokes will make my 800g set look positively porky. Warning...big $$ required here. You could go under 700g if you really wanted but they'd be noodly.
Lightest stem/bar would be a the Nordischer Rahmenbrau stem (NoRa stem....not sure of spelling) on a smolke TLO bar (bonded will drop a few grams more too).
Ultimately though...you are better doing your own research and finding some stuff you like the looks of, Is strong enough for your weight, strength and use and that is reliable enough for your application and riding style.
Becker make some saddles that are 50g ish,a nd if you can find one, the M2 Racer saddle could go as light as 46g (they are not made any more and are fragile).
Speedplay nanos with Alu butterflies are very lite pedals. M2 Racer orbs are also lighter but hard to get..Aerolites are litest (by miles) but a bit primitive for me to take seriously (aerolite Ti in the t.t. variant...can't be touched for weight).
The lightest shoes would be Rocket7s and Mavic a close second. The standard lightish ones like Pearl Izumi Octane SLs and Specialized s-works are a very distant 3rd.
Never ever buy a helmet for weight...buy the most protective one that you can afford, and spend plenty on it! If there are 2 that fullfil this, then use weight/style as a final decider.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Saddle- Becker Carbon SL 47g Rider Limit 75kg
http://www.stealthcycling.com/product/BECKCARBSADSLRD/Becker-Carbon-SL-Saddle-47g.html

Standard version 60g (I used this on my Storck 0.7IS)

They have one more version without the nose - like Adamo. 49g (just weighed mine)

Wheels - has to be custom. Non-aero circa 700g+ to sub 800g, e.g.,AX/ Enve 1.25 rims. Disucssed elsewhere in this forum

Pedals - Aerolite (70g per pedal pair or 100g including pair of cleats)/ M2 Racer Orbits (not in production but should be able to find some on ebay) 160g per pair pedal, cleats and screws

Handlebar - Schmolke TLO 130-150g depending on size

Stem - AX Zeus

How about seat post? (Unless you are riding ISP) - this will be Schmolke TLO. My 350mm came in at 87.2g with Ti screws. Rider weight limit 75kg and you need to be exact on seat post height as clamping zone is different for different seat post lengths.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Simon BP

by Simon BP

What the lightest groupset is, depends on weather you want to use a full standard groupset(in which case I also believe that the Super Record 2011 Titanium is ligtest) or if you want to asemble a groupset of all the lightest parts avalible, in which case it will look a little like this:
Levers: Sram Red with BTP clamps and hoods(for full ergo shifting. BTP Carbon downtube shifters will be lighter)
FD: BTP Full Carbon
RD: Lightweight(tuned)
Crankset: AX-Lightness Morpheus w. Fibre-lyte chainrings(a Propeller Titanium crank will be a little lighter, but is nearly imposible to get hold on, and they should flex quite a bit)
Chain: Wippermann Titanium or YBN SLF210 Titanium
Casette: Recon alloy
Brakes: AX-Lightness AX.3000
Cables: Nokon Carbon with Powercordz inner cables
Last edited by Simon BP on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon BP

by Simon BP

woops, dubble post.

theremery

by theremery

Agree with Simon BP there re the lightest groupset but replace the recon cassette with a TR cassette (82-84g) and the I-links by aligator are a shade lighter than the nokon outers, especially the I-link mini (which is the very small gauge shifting outers). You can tune the red shifters quite a bit and consider the BTP carbon look hood replacement (a couple of extra grams lost). There is also a nicer version of the BTP bar clamps for the shifters available nowdays....I've seen MYTHICAL from this forum's pics of them and they look the stuff!!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

Simon BP

by Simon BP

Aren't Nokon Carbon's lighter than the I-links? or are the I-Link mini's even lighter again? :)

USofChay

by USofChay

theremery wrote:TR cassette (82-84g)

???

2010TrekMadone

by 2010TrekMadone

Thanks everyone for your answers! After all of your input, I have decided my next build. I'm still unsure of what gruppo I want. Simon BP suggested many light components. @ Simon BP: How much lighter is the Sram Red complete gruppo compared to the complete gruppo you listed? I'm very close on getting Sram Reds. What is a great deal/bargain for a 2010 Sram Red Gruppo?
Rockin the Madone with a Madone.

jerms

by jerms

Simon BP wrote:Aren't Nokon Carbon's lighter than the I-links? or are the I-Link mini's even lighter again? :)

alligators with powercordz hands down ftw

some housing weight comparisons:

for shifts:
mini-ilinks = 15g/m
shimano yumeya = 23g/m
nokon carbon = 25g/m
standard shimano = 33g/m
nokon alu = 38/m

for brakes:
i-links = 27g/m
nokon alu = 38g/m
standard shimano = 52g/m

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

@Chay...yeah....mine is 82.16g (11-23 shimano/sram fitting) and came with a 4.4g lockring (not bad !)