New Rapha Winter gloves.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

limba

by limba

These are brand new.

http://www.rapha.cc/winter-gloves/

If anyone buys them let me/us know what you think of them and what temperatures you wear them at. I have lots of gloves but might buy the Raphas when they go on sale and use them next year.

mathi

by mathi

mine are ordered :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Santoki

by Santoki

I have them but haven't ridden then yet so take this with a pinch of salt.

First thoughts are that they are a two layer glove like a goretex ski glove (although much much thinner) so they are a bit of a pain putting on and off, but once on feel much less bulky than a 2 or 3 layer system although more bulky than a 1 layer glove eg. assos 851. I would guess from the feel of the material and 2 layer system that they are pretty damn waterproof/resistant (all these terms have technical definitions these days which some how makes it more difficult to define) but they don't feel fully waterproof (and sweat inducing) the way the lobster shells do.

I don't see them replacing my assos 851 gloves for mild/dry winter conditions they are bulkier and probably too warm, but I see myself using them a lot when I think it might rain and when it is colder rather than the assos with the inner glove or with the lobster shell as they are just far less bulky (you might have realised that I hate bulk). To be honest the assos gloves aren't going to get out much now as my favourite rapha pro team gloves go down to reasonably cold conditions.

As with all the rapha gloves I have tried they are well put together and materials feel strong, I seem to break seams on my assos gloves all the time where my rapha ones stand up to more punishment.

One other note they seem to come up a bit smaller than rapha's other gloves for the same size (I guess to keep bulk down), but I wouldn't expect the need to go up a size unless your existing gloves are already tight.

Anyway I'll report back when I've ridden them but its been milder here recently.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I got these $10 thinsulate gloves. They work great in dry cold weather even in 20 F temps.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Bling clothes does not a faster (nor better) rider make.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tandemracer

by tandemracer

prendrefeu wrote:Bling clothes does not a faster (nor better) rider make.

But at least with nice clothes you will be comfortable. And you will look damn good at the coffee shop.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

And that, my friends, is fundamental! :lol:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

maquisard

by maquisard

Get some Craft gloves, they are excellent. Having used both them and the Assos 851 I would rate the Craft as being more durable.

The Rapha gloves seem to be more of the same overpriced nonsense.

kac

by kac

I can't comment on Rapha winter gloves, but I purchased a pair of their all leather (some exotic type, doubtless) summer gloves and the stitching came apart at the seams after about a month of use. A trip to the local shoemaker and $10.00 fixed the problem along the problematic seam, but then another seam let go. I think these would be nice for driving a Ferrari, but if the construction quality of the summer gloves is indicative of what can be expected from the winter type, I would pass.

KAC

StefanR

by StefanR

tandemracer wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Bling clothes does not a faster (nor better) rider make.

But at least with nice clothes you will be comfortable. And you will look damn good at the coffee shop.

prefer to look like a rapha bling, before looking something like a colourful publicity cycling clown. :mrgreen:

kac, rapha has an extraordinary return service, they pay for the transport, they fix or change you stuff in a very fair way. i am talking from own experience.
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

giant man

by giant man

Just got these through and first impressions are they wonderfully made! Lovely quality, make sure you get the right size cos they are on the small side, had to send back Mediums for Large.

Recommended! (so far)

limba

by limba

Yes, for anyone else reading this and worried about bad stitching, etc, if you buy Rapha online and you're not completely happy with the product they'll pay the return shipping and refund, exchange or repair the product. They even have a crash replacement policy.

kac

by kac

Thanks for the information on Rapha's return policy. I looked at their web site but didn't see anything about returns. Any advice?

KAC

StefanR

by StefanR

diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com