My Ridley Helium (13.75lbs now)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

woz9683

by woz9683

Hey everyone! I've been riding this bike for about a year now. I've been generally very happy with it, and have just been tweaking some little things here and there. I've been planning some changes and was hoping to get some input. I plan on getting into some racing this season, and I want to make some changes to get her race-ready. I think I can save some weight without sacrificing durability pretty easily. I also want to start training with a powermeter to help fine tune my process and define my goals accurately. Let me know what you think, and what changes you agree/disagree with.

Here's the current setup:
Ridley Helium '08 Frame, Medium (56), 970g cut (all hardware incl.)
Ridley/4ZA Fork, 375g cut
Ridley Seatpost Clamp, 117g
FSA Integrated Headset, 80g claimed
SRAM Red Group, 50/36, 172.5, 11-25, 1985g claimed (sorry, didn't weigh components, but it's pretty standard afterall)
Ritchey WCS Stem, 110, -10, 110g (w/ Ti bolts)
3T Rotundo LTD Bars, 182g
Tune GumGum Expander, 10g
Generic Headset Cap and Ti Bolt, 9g
Generic Chinese Saddle, 97g
Look Keo Max 2 Carbon Pedals, 260g
KCNC Skewers, 44g
Reynolds Solitude Wheels, 1520g
Conti GP4000S Tires, 460g
Conti RaceLite Tubes, 160g
Powercordz w/ Gore Housings, 105g estimate
Deda water bottle holders, 50g pair
Cinelli Tape, 40g

As is pictured, it weighs 14.7lbs and that includes the cateye light (30g I think) and the rear skewer for the trainer (100g)

Here are a couple things I'm planning to change:
Computer - selling a Sigma Rox 9, so I can get a Garmin (model?) to match up with a powermeter
Wheels - selling my lighter wheelset (Rolf Prima Vigor SL w/ Vittoria Open Corsas) to help with a set of tubs (I'm thinking Enve 1.45 + Alchemy Hubs + CX Rays + Veloflex Ext)
Brakes - switch to the new EEs
Pedals - Switching to Speedplays
Powermeter - Quarq s975

So, I figure I gain 225g to get the powermeter and in putting a computer back on the bike, and I lose 700g with the pedals, brakes and wheelset. So, I'll come in around 13.5. Wheels and computer are priorities since I'm selling what I've got, then pedals and brakes, then powermeter.

And of course there will be some little stuff in between. I feel like there's some weight to trim off the seatpost clamp, and I'll probably change the saddle at some point (the edges of the nose just end a little too abruptly). Some tuning bits here and there (Ti bolts, front derailleur clamp, etc)

Anyway, here she is, let me know what you think of the plans.
Thanks, Michael
Last edited by woz9683 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robroyski

by Robroyski

I think that if you are just starting racing, this bike is better then you need/want. If you want nicer lighter bike changes that mentioned are good start...
but if you never raced before do not spend a lot of money on wheels that will get trashed. you will be forced to race lower grades to start with and generally there is a lot of crashes in these groups.

have fun :-D

woz9683

by woz9683

Ok, good point, I definitely don't want to be replacing expensive wheels on a regular basis. I'm probably still going to get some and I just won't use them in heated racing situations. But, I can definitely move them down the priority list. For clinchers, the Solitudes are actually pretty light and durable so they'll suffice for now. I am looking forward to racing; the crashing....not so much. :roll:

I feel like the other upgrades shouldn't really be an issue in a crash. Probably the frame and handlebars are my next biggest points of concern? If I break them, so be it.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Great looking ride. I have a similar setup. For racing though, I went with $700, 1300g Reynolds Assault Tubular wheels though. Much less expensive to replace.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

woz9683

by woz9683

Thanks. It's a work in progress. I'm not a fan of the color, but it's muted enough that it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, I like your Damocles; the shaped tubes give it a unique look. I helped build a couple of them up, while doing some work on mine at the LBS. One was very similar to your original look, but with red accents. It built up surprisingly light. You need to post a picture with the tubs, and where did you find a set for $700, ebay?

BreakfastClub

by BreakfastClub

Nice build. Are you still selling your Rolf Prima Vigor Sl's?

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I don't race but in don't snactioned events have a weight minimum rule and wouldn't your 13.5 lbs bike break the rule?? :noidea:

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Sounds fine as is frankly for your purposes.

Maybe change the conti tires for pro3 which drops you 60g rotational weight.

On the wheels - perhaps a budget set of tubs would fit the bill so your not fussed about trashing em? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79506&start=45 I think the posts by showdown sums it all up pretty well.

I've run 30mm alu clinchers in the past and the aero benefit is nowhere near that of a set of carbons on 40mm or 50mm depth. Its a compromise based wheelset that just doesn't need to happen now that ppl have access to more disposable parts.

woz9683

by woz9683

The Vigors are sold already. They were pretty fast for a mid-V rim, but were too flexy IMO.

Yeah, if I were going to race in anything UCI sanctioned, it would break the weight limit rule. Like I said, just starting out, so I'm not sure if they even bother checking lower Cats, but I would add weight just to make sure if I found myself in that situation.

I rode Pro3s for a little while, but they didn't last very long. I don't know why, but I wore them out so fast it was kind of ridiculous.

As far as the wheels go, I just don't know how I feel about the no-name chinese stuff yet. Maybe if showdown has some positive results from all the ones he's building up I'd consider it. In the meantime, I think I'm going to stick to something a little more mainstream. I just got a set of zipp 404s to play around with. I might race them in some road races, but definitely not anything dicey. I'm going to look around for deals on something else I can race without having to worry about. I'm thinking the Reynolds Assault, as jmilliron mentioned, or maybe Easton EC90 or EC90SL.

First race is Rouge Roubaix, one month away (yeah, first race ever, what am I thinking). So, I've got even heavier tires setup right now. Conti GP 4Seasons in 28mm with latex tubes and I'll fill them with some sealant before the race. Trying to get the feel of them before the race.

woz9683

by woz9683

Well, first race is over. :D I have to say, I had a blast! I will definitely be doing Rouge Roubaix again in the future. They haven't posted full results yet, so I'm not sure exactly where I finished. My time was 5:37, which would have been top 20 (for Cat5 last year); not this year though :( . But, it was on pace with what I was realistically hoping for, and if I'd done some more work positioning myself early on, I would have done much better...I think.

Blow-by-blow:
-mile 25, get stuck in the back behind a wreck less than 100 yards into the first gravel section
-ride alone through the first gravel section (which was really rough, they're logging off this road currently, and it's very uneven)
-get caught by a small group around mile 40, and catch on with them
-get passed by a 2-man group a few miles later and catch on with them
-mile 62, catch the main field
-mile 69, in the back again at the start of the second gravel section (really poor planning on my part, but I was still trying to recover from catching the main field) No real wrecks I saw in this section, but the field split again, and I never saw the front group again
-mile 74, came out of the 2nd gravel section pretty worn out, cramping a bit and alone again.
-I got caught pretty quickly by the group I'd left in the gravel (must have been 15 people), and some guy who had a car following him gave me a coke from his support bag (best damn coke ever, thank you!)
-mile 81, third gravel section started and had to dismount once due to another rider dismounting while basically stradling the road. This was the only hill I didn't climb on the bike.
-after jogging up that first (or maybe it was the second?) hill, I started recovering and rode off from the same group
-mile 85, gravel ends and (almost worse than gravel) crappy road starts for the next few miles
-mile 85-105, I passed quite a few people, and never got caught by the group behind me again, put at least 5-10 minutes between us at the finish line.

What can I say, the bike took it like a champ. I haven't done a full inspection and cleaning yet, but I will tonight. I didn't flat, I didn't wreck, the wheels I built for this race held up great; I really can't complain at all.

I'll post before and after bike pics a little later on this evening.

And, I'll update the changes I've made to the bike as well. Race weight was 14.2lb

astardotcom

by astardotcom

Good job on finishing your first race.

Sounds like you had a blast and that appears to be a pretty tough course for a first race

I saw in your other thread that you got some Alpha 340 rims. How do they ride? What hub and spoke pattern are laced with them?

woz9683

by woz9683

Thank you.

I think the Alpha 340s ride really nice. They're 20/24 with CX Rays and Am Classic hubs. 2x rear both sides, radial front. They built up well too; I'm over 100kgf on the DSR, and at least no short term problems holding that tension. I wanted to make sure they were stiff enough laterally, so I went up to 110-115kgf DS and I think that put the NDS around 70-75kgf. I finished cleaning everything up from the race last night, and gave the wheels a thorough inspection. Everything still looks to be in order, the build held up well to a pretty brutal course.

A couple notes on the rims:
- You can definitely tell they are wider than a standard rim, I had to open up my brakes to get them to fit
- The shallow tire bed increases effective tire diameter 1.5-2.5mm
- Fitting a tire is odd; hard to describe, you can easily roll a tire on and off without any levers, but with such a small lip the tire is constantly trying to work its way back off the rim too, as is the tube
- Overall, I'd definitely use them again, they're really light, seem quite strong so far, and the quality is very nice (round and true)

woz9683

by woz9683

Pics finally:

As I said, 14.2lbs for the race. Here's an after picture, it really doesn't look that different in the picture, just a little dusty.

And here, cleaned up with GP4000s back in place for the rest of the year most likely. 13.75lbs.

So, since the original post I've done a couple things.
- changed the saddle to a Specialized Romin with Ti rails
- changed to Speedplay with Ward spindles
- changed to Stronglight CT2 BioConcept chainrings
- changed to KMC X10SL chain
- got a Garmin Edge 500
- changed to Arundel Mandible cages (I was worried about ejecting bottles during Rouge Roubaix, and rightly so, tons of bottles flying everywhere, but not mine :lol: )
- and of course, built my wheels

I like it better like this, I think I'm moving in the right direction. Thoughts?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Very nice. I really like the way the Stronglight CT2 rings look. They shift well? Dislike Red rings. Looking to replace mine.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

woz9683

by woz9683

Thanks, it's kind of amazing how much different they make the bike look. Between the rings and the new, debadged wheels I think it really cleaned things up. And they do shift well. These are the ovalized rings, and I did have to make a couple of adjustments to the FD, especially getting the 50/34 combo to work right. The 50/36 is perfect though.

I've got a 3T pro stem on the way. I wanted to match up the cockpit. It's a little heavy, but the color scheme is right. I ought to be able to shave it down a little to improve the weight.

Oh, and I'm going to repair and build up my other Helium for a crit bike. Ritchey cockpit, Force or Rival group. I was going to send it off for repair, but I really think I can tackle it myself. It's got a cracked seatstay and what looks to be just a cosmetic crack in the top tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com