The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

If I have bike 1s profile selected it won't pick up the cadence sensor if I go to ride bike 2... :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

ah, but i don't use the cadense sensor :oops:

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Tinea Pedis,
I think all you need to do is go to set up and under bike 2, tell it to look for the same sensor. The same way that you originally did for bike 1.
Do you move the cadence sensor from one bike to another?

thebigring

by thebigring

qkkqc wrote:For those of you who have used Garmin Edge 500 and Powertap cpu unit,

What does the Garmin has that the PT unit doesn't have? altitude?
What does the PT unit have the Garmin doesn't have?
thanks all

Garmin >> PT Unit:
backlight
configurable screens
more data options
simpler data access

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Gregorio wrote:Tinea Pedis,
I think all you need to do is go to set up and under bike 2, tell it to look for the same sensor. The same way that you originally did for bike 1.
Do you move the cadence sensor from one bike to another?

Spoke to the Garmin chap yesterday, said you can't have more than 3 sensors paired to each individual profile.

And anyone else having issues with Garmin Connect and not finding rides/needing to manually locate and upload them? As I am, again, and it's getting annoying!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm trying to set up the garmin 500. What do I put in as a 'position' for the united states? Is it the one that pops up first or is it the US National Grid? I'd imagine it's the US national grid, right?

ty-ro

by ty-ro

My Edge 500 just died in the middle of my ride the other day. Over 50% on the battery and it wouldn't wake back up until I plugged it into the PC. It was lagging last week too. It would pause for a few seconds at a given time, then it would skip ahead a few seconds after it woke back up. I'd call them hiccups?

MrAK

by MrAK

ty-ro wrote:My Edge 500 just died in the middle of my ride the other day. Over 50% on the battery and it wouldn't wake back up until I plugged it into the PC. It was lagging last week too. It would pause for a few seconds at a given time, then it would skip ahead a few seconds after it woke back up. I'd call them hiccups?

How old is it?
R3 S3 P3C BT X1 | put it in the big ring

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Hmmm. When I turned it on for the 1st time, it asked me what language I wanted, then the second question was to select your position. I'm assuming the next questions will be date and time and stuff like that. I was scrolling thru the options and there's everything from Australia to Iran. I think I'll just put the us national one. That's gotta be the USA. Just a weird way to say it I guess.

robertg

by robertg

gumgardner wrote:Hmmm. When I turned it on for the 1st time, it asked me what language I wanted, then the second question was to select your position. I'm assuming the next questions will be date and time and stuff like that. I was scrolling thru the options and there's everything from Australia to Iran. I think I'll just put the us national one. That's gotta be the USA. Just a weird way to say it I guess.

Mine was the exact same way, and I am right next to you in the US, I am in NJ. I also went with US National, and it did appear strange to me at the time but it was the only one that made sense.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

It is one year old. I got it for Christmas last year. I have updated the firmware to the most current version.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I went with the US National grid. It was correct.

I gotta say, this is the nicest bike computer I've ever used. Easy, accurate and looks great. I'm happy now that my Polar computer broke ;)

mcrdave

by mcrdave

Hi,

Mine takes at least a couple of minutes from turning on to connecting to satellites. Is this normal?

Just wondered,

thanks

mrfish

by mrfish

Yes, normal. It's trying to use timing differences from signals from satellites orbiting the earth to pin down your position. So there's a lot of simultaneous equation solving going on to get a fix, then after that it can update very quickly, no doubt using some shortcuts. Thus if you switch it off, then on again within an hour or something, it restarts very quickly. It's also quicker to re-fix if you keep still so that it's not trying to work out where it is while moving as that increases the error of the fix.

Personally I'm very pleased with my Edge 500. I figured out how to upload courses to it from bikeroutetoaster.com recently and found that I could use it to do 35 mile routes on back lanes I'd never used before without getting lost or riding more than 400 metres on a main road! For that it's worth the purchase price alone as I could never be bothered to do that with a map as I would be checking turns every 5 minutes and questioning my sanity after 3 right turns in a row.

It even has turn indicators, i.e. in 200m turn right... It's not as good as car sat nav, but perfect for training in a new location or doing a sportif ride. Also even if you have no course pre-loaded you can look at the course map and see where you've been so that you can get back to the start. Also you can repeat exactly the same route and compare times etc... So now I know our tandem is much slower overall on rides, but only because I ride much harder on my own. It's aboiut as fast on the flat for much less effort. No surprise, but nice to know.

If you need more than this, probably better to look for a new hobby like orienteering, MTBing or rambling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Enjoying my new Edge 500. Some weird behavior with Garmin connect though.

I have only a power meter installed (Powertap). No speed or cadence.

Garmin connect is reporting a cadence graph on every ride though :noidea:

Any idea?