11speed question..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Hi, i'll warn you in advance, a bit of a noob question here.

Got a build planned and had 11speed in mind for it. I do some racing, and had got to thinking about what would happen if i punctured, and the neutral service vehicle behind me only had 10sp wheels in it. Would it even fit? And if it did, would i be in risking the other components?

I know normally if you puncture then your race is kind of done anyway, but thought it would be worthwhile checking for those rare situations when i might be in with a shout :D

Irish

by Irish

Dont worry, you can get by on a shimano 10spd rear wheel in an emergency.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

cog to cog for c11 is 3.8, cog to cog for shimano/sram 10 is 3.95

tommasini

by tommasini

Good input already - I'll add by noting that the cog thickness of Campy 11 speed is the same as the cog thickness for Shimano 10 - so overall in an emergency you can get by - will have a gear or two that are sketchy - may even want to turn the down tube cable adjuster a little bit if you plan to use that gear much.

And you noted it well in your original post too that for most amateur races, getting a wheel out of a wheel vehicle generally means you are now out of contention and so through that wheel change now only have a chance to simply ride it in......there will be no long line of vehicles to move up through to catch back on. Then again if you're on a great day and the pack is just lumbering along - who knows what could happen!!! :D

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Thanks guys, good to know about the shimano 10sp.

After your replies i went and checked the spacings, says campag 10sp is 4.12mm spacing and 1.7mm thickness. So i take it that wouldn't work at all?

DaveS

by DaveS

Rokkala wrote:Thanks guys, good to know about the shimano 10sp.

After your replies i went and checked the spacings, says campag 10sp is 4.12mm spacing and 1.7mm thickness. So i take it that wouldn't work at all?

Well, it would certainly work a lot worse. I've never read of anyone worrying about getting a Campy 10 wheel as a neutral support replacement.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

The solution would be don't ride the Campy at races that only have Shimano support?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

Or even better, don't ride races that have any Shimano support. That way you'll be sure to be with people who appreciate quality.

bartali

by bartali

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com