Campy Super Record Derailleur Hits Spokes of Reynolds MV32UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ddj5300

by ddj5300

I have a Cervelo R3sl, Campagnolo Super Record 11 (2010), with Reynolds MV 32 Ul (Clinchers).

The problem that I am having is that the derailleur hits the spokes when I am in the 25t cog and put power down. I am on my second frame from Cervelo (they thought the alignment was off), and have done the following:
I have had the frame replaced, changed the hangers, had the wheel dished, played with the limit screw (all of this multiple times). The only time that the derailleur would not hit the spokes is when it would not run correctly in the 25t cog. The derailleur does not hit the spokes unless I am working hard, but I really want a solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I am looking to change the wheels on the bike if I can't find a solution - can anyone suggest a wheel that allows for a good amount of clearance between the spokes and the derailleur. I am looking at the following wheels:
Cosmic Carbone Ultimate & the Campy Bora Ultra Two - any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - I am getting a Cervelo R5 - with all the same components (due to a crash). I don't know why this would solve the problem, but I will have it up and running next week

Thank You

em3

by em3

....you didn't mention whether anyone aligned your der hanger when it was replaced. Every new hanger must be properly aligned upon installment. Also, trash the Cervelo OEM hanger and get a Wheels Manufacturing hanger, which is much more robust. Good luck EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Is the DS laced outside-pulling? If so, that would be one contributing factor.

But... you shouldn't be that tight. Seems odd that Cervelo replaced the frame because the hanger is what controls the alignment. If alignment of the hanger doesn't work, you could always stick a wee spacer on the inside of your cassette stack (and on the DS axle if needed).

BMOLLOY

by BMOLLOY

I had a Cervelo R2.5 in 2005 that had a similar problem. The problem turned out to be that when I clamped down the skewer the entire hanger moved in towards the cassette. This happens on all bikes to a small degree, but it was a major shift on this particular bike. My solution was, as somebody has already mentioned, throwing an extra spacer on the cassette body. It worked like a charm... Until I broke the frame that is.

Good Luck

ehudk

by ehudk

Here is a TRUE solution...
Switch to SRAM/SHIMANO

this will never happen.

I had the same issue with my CERVELOs (R3 & SLC-SL)
they found no solution, when I switched to SRAM/SHIMANO the issue was solved.

That's why I'm not using campy, very practical reason, and they tried!

I still using campy in the front/crank, but my rear + shiffters turns SRAM/SHIMANO.

sharkman

by sharkman

Seen it before,
Cervelo problem, at a frame with such a pricetag I would let them solve is or else use the spacer option (Seen it with Lightweigts too).

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ddj5300 wrote:I have a Cervelo R3sl, Campagnolo Super Record 11 (2010), with Reynolds MV 32 Ul (Clinchers).

The problem that I am having is that the derailleur hits the spokes when I am in the 25t cog and put power down. I am on my second frame from Cervelo (they thought the alignment was off), and have done the following:
I have had the frame replaced, changed the hangers, had the wheel dished, played with the limit screw (all of this multiple times). The only time that the derailleur would not hit the spokes is when it would not run correctly in the 25t cog. The derailleur does not hit the spokes unless I am working hard, but I really want a solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I am looking to change the wheels on the bike if I can't find a solution - can anyone suggest a wheel that allows for a good amount of clearance between the spokes and the derailleur. I am looking at the following wheels:
Cosmic Carbone Ultimate & the Campy Bora Ultra Two - any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - I am getting a Cervelo R5 - with all the same components (due to a crash). I don't know why this would solve the problem, but I will have it up and running next week

Thank You

Try a regular Campagnolo wheel. If the problem still occurs it has to be the frame. I have several pairs of wheels using Campag & DT hubs, the cassette sits slightly differently on the two makes so the limit screw is more critical on the DT hubbed wheels.

theremery

by theremery

Run a slightly thicker spacer under the cassette, and factionally shave the inner plate of the rear mech. Make sure the hanger has been aligned when your skewer is done up to it's normal operating tension. Hand press the spokes in around the hub (I have a suspicion that skilled wheel builders do this as they go through their de-stressing process during a build) carefully. This helped on the set of ACs that I used on my campag bike a few years ago.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

DaveS

by DaveS

If a RD hanger moves when the skewer is tightened, the solution is not a spacer behind the cassette. The RD hanger should be aligned with the wheel in place and the skewer tightened, which is the normal procedure.

Switching to Shimano/SRAM is a lame option. I've used 11 speed on Ksyriums, Fulcrums, and powertap hubs with no clearance issues. The brands that offer Campy compatible hubs should have done a better job of copying the hub dimensions.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

I wonder if excessive dropout width is causing the hangar to move? If that is the case, then adding a NDS spacer to the axle and redishing will make the wheel a little stronger and solve this issue at the same time.

sbkidd

by sbkidd

Hi, I've got the same wheels on a Supersix,when I first put them on with a DA casette running Sram Red I could not shift into the 25 without the deraileur hitting the spokes. I put a Sram cassete on and have no problems,don't ask me why.

Carbon_Cowboy

by Carbon_Cowboy

I'm running some Reynolds MV32C UL w/Record 10 on a R3sl. I just ordered the Wheels Manufacturing hanger. I snapped the below pic. My spokes only get 'kissed' slightly when I'm really standing on the pedals. But if I'm just riding around in a parking lot everything is fine. I think its flex in the hanger. Just my 2 cents.

ddj5300

by ddj5300

Thanks so much for all suggestions & advice. Some more information regarding my problem. I have replaced the stock hanger and had the hangers aligned multiple times. I have not added a spacer - as I was told that that would cause my 11t cog to hit the frame.

If I am not able to solve the problem I will be giving the wheels to my wife & trying a Campy specific wheel (Bora Ultra Two's are the front runners right now - open to suggestions).

This is the response that I received from Reynolds:

Hi Dave,
There are no issues between the DT Swiss 240 hub used on the
MV32UL's and Campy 11 speed. We have a few people internally running
this set-up and thousands on the road without issue. I am not sure where the
issue lies, but I can say there is no issue with that hub and 11 speed.
Thanks,

Ryan Barrett
Reynolds Cycling
801.565.8225 X135

theremery

by theremery

Borrow a set of calipers (digital) and measure 1/2 doz spacers from different people. You'll notice how much they vary in thickness. Either find the biggest (thickest) one that you can and use that behind your cassette or use 2 very thin ones (that'd probably be quite a similar total thickness as there really is quite a lot of variation) I can measure some of the ones I have here if you need convincing. Until your 11T is rubbing on the frame (well...the chain will rub first) you have room to move.
To ease a friend's overly tight hybrid drive chain, I slightly restacked the position of his upper pulley. He was running carbon pulleys and had washers either side. Checking that it wasn't going to cause the chain to rub the cage, I shifted the upper pulley inboard fractionally by running a thinner washer on the inside and shimming the outside (used a tiny washer cut from a P.E.T. drink bottle).
His derailleur was also drifting in/out on the mounting bolt excessively causing it to need an "overshift" to get up on the big rear cog. This was causing half his problems as his shifting was average at best. I removed the mounting bolt (circlips are not fun) then made a larger P.E.T. washer and fitted it behind where the circlip went. This "pushed everything else through" and tightened the whole thing up so it shifted sweeter and moved less. At this point, his spoke hitting issues disappeared.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

otoman

by otoman

ddj5300 wrote: I have replaced the stock hanger and had the hangers aligned multiple times.

Did you replace it with another piece of crap OEM stamped aluminum POS from Cervelo or did you get the aftermarket Wheels Manufacturing version? BIG difference.

I had an '09 R3 with Record 11, warrantied due to the cracked BB issue, but had all sorts of problems with shifting being off until I replaced the POC/POS stock hanger with the WM version. I didn't even get it officially aligned as I guess I kind of lucked out on the install of the new hanger: screwed it on, replaced the RD, my shifting was instantly perfect. You could see the flex in the old hanger as you slowly clamped the QR down. Did I mention the stock hangers are a POS and not worthy of a Walmart bike, much less an R3SL?
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com