Storck geometry

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stockie

by Stockie

Why do those German people have to make frames with such a stupid geometry. While canyon make the headtubes to long, i was looking further and watched the Storck website. Hmmm, that Scenario Pro frame is a real beaty.
*click*
Geometry: seat angle: 74degrees, check
Top tube: 544m, check
Head tube: only 115mm :o

Right now i'm riding a Cervélo SLT with a 140mm headtube and 1cm spacer (it's just the 1cm high headset bearing cover http://img98.imageshack.us/f/dsc00891sw3.jpg/ )
Do i miss something, like axle-to-crown distance or so, or are those Storck head tubes just insanely short?
I Will make the leap

dpeka

by dpeka

I own a Storck Fenomalist, and yes, compared to other brands, the geometry is a little interesting and is more aggressive.
You will see a lot of Storcks have a 90mm or so stem, since many people prefer to go up in size for the taller headtube.
I've also seen many people with 5cm of spacers, with no issues.
I have a size 57cm, with a 100mm stem, and about 1.5cm of spacers. No problems for me - I love the bike. I am about 5'10".
There are many Storck owners in this forum, hope we can answer your questions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The Storck forks are 10-15mm longer axle to crown, compared to most other forks on the market. That you should add to the head tube length.

For instance, the 51 Fenomalist I ride now, has 115mm head tube. I have no spacers under the stem. On my former Addict with 120mm headtube, I had 10mm underneath. My saddle to handlebar drop is the same.

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

Yes spot on Mario - I would second your advice on checking the absolute stack height from front wheel axle to the top of the head tube as Storck forks are longer than other brands offerings - the Storck UMS fork is even longer than say a standard Storck SL fork so taking time to check may bring you to the conclusion that the Storck geometry is closer to what you need than what you initially thought.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun May 20, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote

Stockie

by Stockie

I found on the website of fairwheelbikes that the axle-to-crown is 372mm, that's 5mm more than the 'standard' 367mm.
So that would bring the head tube to an equivalent of 120mm. Still 20mm shorter than mij current head tube.
The total stack of spacer would be around 3cm, which is a bit to much.
Too bad...
I Will make the leap

konky

by konky

Stockie wrote:I found on the website of fairwheelbikes that the axle-to-crown is 372mm, that's 5mm more than the 'standard' 367mm.
So that would bring the head tube to an equivalent of 120mm. Still 20mm shorter than mij current head tube.
The total stack of spacer would be around 3cm, which is a bit to much.
Too bad...

I haven't looked at a range of bikes but the say 51 Cervelo R3SL head tube is 120mm. The R5 has been been changed to 128mm but considering the Storck fork is a tad longer they really aren't that different.

Stockie

by Stockie

I checked out if a larger frame would fit me better.

Now i'm on a 54cm Cérvelo SLT:

The reach is 380mm, head tube is 140mm.
This requires a 1cm spacer/bearing cover and a 105mm stem. When i got me fitted on the bike, i first had a 110mm Ritchey stem and a Ritchey handlebar with a reach of 85mm.
But i switched to an Syntace 105mm stem and a Syntace bar with 95mm reacht, so that equals out.

A 55cm Storck scenario pro looks like this:

The reach= (top tube length) - (the layback of the seat tube)

553 - cos(73,5) * 572 = 390,55mm

So the reach of the Storck frame is 10,5mm longer than the Cervélo. This equals a 100mm stem and a bar with 85mm reach.
The headtube (139mm) is 1mm shorter than the Cervélo. Buth, the Stilleto's axle-to crown distance is 5mm larger.

A little math:
Cervélo: 367mm axle-crown + 140mm head tube + 10mm spacer = 517mm

Storck: 372mm axle-crown + 139mm head tube + 6mm spacer = 517mm

Conclusion: i think a 55cm Storck frame would fit me quite well. Or did i make any mistakes in the calculations?
I also have to check the setback of seat.
I Will make the leap

ave

by ave

My size would be a 57 and with the 161mm head tube is just 4mm lower than my Look. So it doesn't seems too crazy geometry to me.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Riding a 51, I have to ride with no spacers to get in right. I would just test ride. If you can't do that, I would just go with TT-EFF.

ave

by ave

Well, LOOK, that is a huge difference in fork length! ;)
Don't know the reason, perhaps the longer fork helps dampen the vibrations more?

(They are not the same size, just found this two pic quickly)

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have liked Storck frames for a long time now and have always wanted to get one. However, I think they just don't fit me. Am i wrong? (and yes I know you can't "fit" someone via a forum), but just tell me if I am way off here.....

I ride a 56cm TT (effective) and HT lenght is around 155mm (good fit for me, professionally done, by two different people)
I run about 15-20mm spacers, 110mm stem
I have about 8.5 cm drop. (this is not super aggressive, but its not lazy either, I believe?)

I am not including more info on me, because I know that you cannot give a fitting online. So, knowing my current setup is good, here we go......

In the Storck, the best size is either:
51---549 TT----115 HT
55---566 TT----139 HT
http://www.storck-bicycle.de/en/bike-an ... 1&sub=3000

So according to this my drop would have to be: (roughly, all-things-being-equal):
51--12.5cm
55--10cm (Not bad, I could do it, I think without loosing power etc...)

And if I keep my position the same:
51---65mm spacers (!!!!!!)
55---35-37.5mm spacers ( :?:, not good either )

It seems if you want a Storck you have to be a rider that is low and long, in regards to position. Which is fine. I guess I'm just not quite there. They really are race frames.

Am I correct?
Has anyone else had this issue?

I may still go for the 55, but some frames just don't fit, I guess.

In the picture attached, there dosen't seem to be a drastic drop. ? ?

Am I missing something?
Attachments
storck.jpg

LAN

by LAN

I think Storck forks are 381mm vs 367-370mm on normal bikes, so you'll need 11-14mm less spacers than you calculated

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I forgot about the fork height.

I have an Enve fork and Ritte fork. I will have to get their dropout to crown measurements to compare.

murph100

by murph100

Measurement from the centre of wheel axle to the top of the headtube on the 55 Fenomalist is 520mm. HTH, it certainly changed my original perceptions about the seemingly 'short' headtube, as it virtually matches what I'm running at the moment, just sounded really 'woah' :wink:

daj

by daj

Top tube length doesn't mean much without seat tube angle. What's the seat tube angle on your current bike?

Or even better: what brand/type frame are you riding right now? Storck has stack/reach on their geometry table as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com