give me a kick!!!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

I am lacking a kick for the sprint in junior races, how could i (in about a month) train to have power to get those pedals spinning as fast as possible in little time? keeping in mind that i am on restricted gears as a junior.
Thanks
Joe
i dont need some witty signature

Christianfast

by Christianfast

Hi

I'm junior racer too and I do a lot of high frequenzy sprints.
Like when you're going downhill then stay in the same gear and try to spin as fast as you can. Things like that might help to improve your spinning. But the difficulty is to put the maximum power on the pedal while your pedaling fast. we also often do short sprints during normal rinding just 200m and stay in the same gear like 39/18 in my case. I can give you no exact clue what to do but the best thing fur sure is to talk to your/a trainer who can give you exact plans what to do.
Greets
Christian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

N.T

by N.T

Well I am junior also and I do this a lot: about 5 km before the end of the training do a sprint it is best if you do it to down hill and pedal big cadence ~120 rpm, try to go as fast as possible, dont us you biggest gear and when you can´t speed up then stop it is done. Slowly pedal the last few kilometers. Member to stertch your musles after training it does a big difference!
Fuelled by kofein

Perry

by Perry

I´d say dont do a thing just keep on training and figure out ways how to beat the competition without a sprint and the right moments and places on course where you might be succesful in your attack where you use your strongest assets

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

i dont really have trouble with keeping a high speed, it just takes me time to get there, guys that are beating me have an explosives sprint, they can go from 20km to flat out in no time at all, responding to a move in no time, a kick would also help me to jump across gaps in shorter time, (save energy) rather than being out in the wind for longer.

keithster

by keithster

I think that your problem could be gearing, you can't get up to speed because you choose the wrong gear, downshifting before sprinting may be a good Idea
Jack of all trades, master of none.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

From experience there was one really good thing that my coach used to get me to do in under 15/17. Find a hill that has a pretty well flat lead in too it and isnt all that steep (roughly 4%). Whack it in the 39x13 (or whatever is your biggest), roll into the hill at around 30kph in the seat and then when you can feel the hill starting kick as hard as you can and hold it for 50-100m. Kicking as hard as you can for the last twenty meters of each climb you do is also very benificial for this.

Only way to get better is to practise. Also try and pre meditate the kick and get on the wheel of a good sprinter and make them do the work to get across. Use and abuse. "(in about a month) " seems to indicate you're doing nationals?

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

stumpytrunks wrote: Use and abuse. "(in about a month) " seems to indicate you're doing nationals?

i was going to do the nationals, but i dont feel that my performance at the state champs justifies my going to the nationals (spending all that money to get there) as it is my first year riding, i am going to concentrate on the last remaining junior tour and the nsw TT champs.
next year for the nats.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Fair enough. Let us know how you go with it. The main thing to remember is to do it 100% out training and then when you get to a race you'll be used to the 100% effort. Grit the teeth and really use the bars. If you are at all close to dunc gray get down there of a friday night and have a few races. You'll be surprised at what it can do for you.

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

stumpytrunks wrote:Fair enough. Let us know how you go with it. The main thing to remember is to do it 100% out training and then when you get to a race you'll be used to the 100% effort. Grit the teeth and really use the bars. If you are at all close to dunc gray get down there of a friday night and have a few races. You'll be surprised at what it can do for you.

I would love to do some track riding, only prob is the lack of a track nearby, closest track is 123kms away in newcastle, ( i race road there on satdays) i think that the fact that the guys that are beating me have done a few seasons of track is really in their favour, as it would really help the short powerful tracks that the u17s do in Aus, (not many hills etc) as all the guys that win the road events have done well in track events also. I am going to do a season of track next year (will have my liscence) and will be able to get myself places.

Also, how long does it take for a cyclist to really come into their strenght?

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Generally I'd say that late twenties would be the case for most people. You'll always have your freaks though.

Tippster

by Tippster

stumpytrunks wrote:Generally I'd say that late twenties would be the case for most people. You'll always have your freaks though.

I guess the TdF results speak for themselves...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com