Light weight wheels and hey !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digger

by digger

Hey I’m new to this forum. Although I’m very well know on others. Any way I’m a talented youth rider and a well know I’m me home country of England.
My questions to all you weight weenies. Is it right in thinking that you can build quite light (maybe not to your standards) e.g. Lighter than ksyriums. For not a lot of money, as my parents don’t have that much money to spend. I can get ksyriums cheap for about £250, can you build wheels lighter and maybe cheaper. I know a local ex-pro that would build them for me. I will be doing short crits and time trials and a very limited amount of road races (in stage races, as I’m only 14).
Thanks digger :D

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

I personally think Kysirium is "all show no go"
You can get cheaper and lighter wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims (pick your favorite bladed spoke) with campy record or shimano dura ace hubs.

Also one of the John Cobbs sp? aero testing showed kysirium werent that aerodynamic compared to your normal 32h wheels.

If kysirium is cheaper for you than get it if not go for custom build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drew

by drew

Hey Digger, finally made it over the Atlantic eh!

Personally I like ksyriums, very stiff, pretty light, and spin up well.
Compared to say Ultegra with 32 spokes and Open pro rims you save nearly 300 grams with Ksyrium SSC's (forget elites not worth it).
You should be concerned more with aerodynamics than light weight for crits etc. What are used Corimas etc going for in U.K now?
Shamals etc.

mises

by mises

As much as I hate to say it, for £250 the Ksyriums will be hard to beat even though they are relatively heavy and not that aero. Even more so if you are talking about clinchers.

The other question is since you are doing crits, how are you going to feel about the bozo next to you falling on and folding your beautiful lightweight wheel? Especially if budget is a concern. I always used the cheapest 28 hole set I could find for that sort of race.

digger

by digger

Hey drew, nope still in england :P. I see what you mean about wheels breaking. Corminas are nice (expensive though and ive seen a few bent ones after races). Them kyriums are clinchers. What is the advantages of a tub rim?

drew

by drew

digger wrote:Hey drew, nope still in england :P. I see what you mean about wheels breaking. Corminas are nice (expensive though and ive seen a few bent ones after races). Them kyriums are clinchers. What is the advantages of a tub rim?

Tub rims are lighter, usually by 50 grams or more due to lack of lip needed to hook your tyre onto. Also tubs can be lighter when you add up tyre and tube. But you pay more for lightweight tubs than you do for light weight tubes and tyres. I would stick with pressures if I were you as you cannot change tyres easily when they are stuck to the rim!!
When guys on here say "relatively heavy" for ksyriums they mean compared to 1100g wheels which are waaay out of my budget nevermind yours. Use ksyriums as a benchmark and look at what Parkers or Deeside, Ribble etc have to offer weight and price wise, then make a decision.

Drew

Superlite

by Superlite

All I have to say is one word. Simoni. Won the Giro on Ksyrium SSC SL. If there good enough for him, then there good enough for you.

JTC

by JTC

Actually I noticed a picture in the latest Procycling with him in the Giro and he had an old Helium on the front and a Ksyrium on the rear. I though that was kind of odd. Whats up with that?

Superlite

by Superlite

Got a link to that pic? I've seen the same thing with Sachi's bike, but it was when he was training.

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:Got a link to that pic? I've seen the same thing with Sachi's bike, but it was when he was training.

here you go: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/ ... =stage19/1

Thought it would take ages to find, 3rd picture i clicked on :)

Superlite

by Superlite

Huh, Interesting. Only thing I can guess is his bike was under the weight limit so they put a heavier wheel on. But that wouldn't make sense, cause if they wanted to add weight they would do it elsewere.

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:Huh, Interesting. Only thing I can guess is his bike was under the weight limit so they put a heavier wheel on. But that wouldn't make sense, cause if they wanted to add weight they would do it elsewere.

Whats a set of heliums weigh more than ksyriums?, I remember when they were the ONLY lightweight pre built wheel set

Superlite

by Superlite

Funny how a few years ago they were "really lite" from Mavic. I think the set is any where from 1800g-2000g.

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:Funny how a few years ago they were "really lite" from Mavic. I think the set is any where from 1800g-2000g.

Really thats junk now eh! my winter training wheels weigh 1800g :D

Joel

by Joel

The old Heliums weighed 1500g/set claimed (850/650g) for tubulars. I think he used the Helium because it's lighter of the Ksyrium, but the rear wheel is absolutely not stiff, so there it's better to use the Ksyrium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com