Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Gumgardner,

The CTT, A1 and Vaypor are essentially the same platform. The CTT and Vaypor are almost identical in every way except for some toe ventilation and a liner change. As for fit, I currently have the CTT and a few pairs of A1s and have worn the Vaypor. They are all pretty close in terms of fit although I really look of the CTT and Vaypor better than the A1. Since these shoes are hand made, one pair of A1s will fit me differently than another pair of A1s. So the difference in fit between the A1 and let's say a Vaypor is usually due to the handmade aspect, not because they are any different in terms of design. My current CTT and A1 are identical in terms of fit.

Good luck.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Yah I know, but don't the Ctt's get pretty hot without ventilation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

gumgardner wrote:Yah I know, but don't the Ctt's get pretty hot without ventilation?

They still have the ventilation through the toe cap. I will post pix of mine soon that I ventilated. They actually have more ventilation than the Vaypor.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

I am thinking of trying some Bonts. I'd rather not drop ~$400 on a failed experiment.

What about the A-3's? I know that they are a bit heavier, have a bit more stack, have a different sole, and have 3 velcro straps, but are they close enough to give a good idea of what the A-1 and Vaypor are like as far as overall feel and fit?

Sybarite

by Sybarite

I got the 2010 A-1 and 2011 A-2, quality control was not so consistent with the A-2s being made in China now. Finish was a 'duller' synthetic, and the blind nuts holding the cleats had thread defects. Bont Australia wasn't quite responsive in fixing the problems either. They responded on email, but didnt actually follow through.

Ride quality, 'feel' and fit after molding i must say are one of the best, although it might take a few tries to get the fit right. Nothing quite beats the feeling of that power transfer.

The ventilation on the 2011 A-2 is better than the 2010 A-1, the A-1 has ventilation holes that were clogged with glue or plastic. Even after cleaning out the clogged holes with a dremel, the A-2 just had more venting up front. Essential for the year round tropics where i ride.

Overall, if they fixed their QC and their venting for us tropical folks, I'd say they would have been great.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

To my feet the A1:s and Vaypors feel pretty diffrent.
According to Bont the last is new on the Vaypors. I know they have the same structural 'tub' design, but they do have vastly improved arch support (from zero to some) and a wider last.
The instep also seems a bit more generous, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Lotsa numb feet reported from A1 users so Vaypors probly designed in part to address this.
rolobikes

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Where did you get the Vaypor? I can't find any online dealers that have them yet.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

At Markus Storcks gift to the world: Eurobike.
rolobikes

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Here is my custom ventilated CTT shoes. There are small holes in the toe cap as well. I live in Vegas where it gets 110degrees quite often and I don't seem to have an overheating issue.

rustychain

by rustychain

Did you drill them? :noidea:
Looks great,
Any issues venting them?
:thumbup:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

rustychain wrote:Did you drill them? :noidea:
Looks great,
Any issues venting them?
:thumbup:

I think drilling them would be a complete mess. My father has been building horse saddles and gun leather for 30+ yrs. I just a hole punch of his. Worked perfectly.

jeffr

by jeffr

The strap system on the vaypor is odd. I thought the point of the three straps was so that you could somewhat change the volume of the shoe at multiple points. Combining two straps into one reduces the flexibility a little bit. Any comments on that? I also don't understand why they aren't just using mesh for the bulk of the upper but I don't build shoes so what do I know. You'd think some very stiff fabric in strategic places would hold it together like d2 does.

I have ordered some esoles to see if that makes my bonts workable. They are having some kind of holiday special right now and I received $15 off of my order. I don't know what the details are but any of you finding the bont insole lacking might want to check it out.

djconnel

by djconnel

spinwax wrote:Here is my custom ventilated CTT shoes. There are small holes in the toe cap as well. I live in Vegas where it gets 110degrees quite often and I don't seem to have an overheating issue.

Did you have an overheating issue before punching holes in the uppers?

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

djconnel wrote:
spinwax wrote:Here is my custom ventilated CTT shoes. There are small holes in the toe cap as well. I live in Vegas where it gets 110degrees quite often and I don't seem to have an overheating issue.

Did you have an overheating issue before punching holes in the uppers?

Nah, I don't really get hot feet; even out here. If anything I lightened them up and made them cooler looking. :lol: 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

jeffr wrote:The strap system on the vaypor is odd. I thought the point of the three straps was so that you could somewhat change the volume of the shoe at multiple points. Combining two straps into one reduces the flexibility a little bit. Any comments on that? I also don't understand why they aren't just using mesh for the bulk of the upper but I don't build shoes so what do I know. You'd think some very stiff fabric in strategic places would hold it together like d2 does.

I have ordered some esoles to see if that makes my bonts workable. They are having some kind of holiday special right now and I received $15 off of my order. I don't know what the details are but any of you finding the bont insole lacking might want to check it out.

Honestly, the front two straps on the A1 do nothing from what I have found so the Z style strap on my CTT/Vaypors doesn't really do much either. :lol:

Put some insoles in, it might help. I run insoles in all my Bonts.